or should they just be able to sing it in key if they have instruments backing them??
If a singer can't sing in tune, they need to train their ears. Then they need to train their muscles. Practice matching pitches, singing octaves, other intervals and scales.

After ear training (if it's needed), a singer should be able to sing in tune a capella after being given a reference note, or from a tone they generate.
I don't understand the question.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I don't understand the question.

that's probably my fault
what I'm asking is
if a singer needs to practice any given song before he can sing it in tune.
I suppose a singer shouldn't have to practice to sing anything in tune if he has a reference.
But this singer I'm working with goes off key sometimes when I'm playing the song on the guitar.
so what I want to know Is if this is a matter of practice or if the guy just has bad ears and I should go work with someone else
Does he notice when he's off pitch or is he oblivious to it? If he can't even tell, get a new singer.
Quote by reverb66
Does he notice when he's off pitch or is he oblivious to it? If he can't even tell, get a new singer.

I think he is oblivious to it but I've heard him sing other songs well, I'm gonna try a few more times if it keeps happening I'll find someone else
thanks!
Yes, singers should practice.

An experienced singer should be able to sing in tune. But I've heard recordings of talented professional singers singing out of tune, I've seen good singers in live concerts hit bad notes.

Some songs might be difficult for a singer and require a bit of practice to get right.

Also make sure the song is in the right key, if the notes are on the edge of his range or straddle one of his bridges a change in key could resolve the issue.

Then again maybe you need a new singer.
Si
Quote by João1993
I think he is oblivious to it but I've heard him sing other songs well, I'm gonna try a few more times if it keeps happening I'll find someone else thanks!
If he sings other songs well, there could be a couple of reasons why he goes off key.

1. The song could be too near the top or bottom of his range. If he can't quite hit the high notes, you need to lower the key. Likewise, if he struggles with the low notes, you need to raise the key. But if it's random notes (anywhere in the range) he sings wrong, this is not the problem!

2. Maybe he just doesn't know the song very well? Or some passages are tricky (fast, or with awkward intervals)?

3. Is he used to singing it in a different key? (If he's an intuitive singer, a change of key might throw him off the odd note now and then.)

But in general, a competent singer should be able to tune his voice to the key (and chords) you're playing. He should be quick to tell you if the key is wrong for him. Only a bad singer will struggle with a wrong key and not know what the problem is.
Last edited by jongtr at Nov 7, 2016,
Quote by João1993
I think he is oblivious to it but I've heard him sing other songs well, I'm gonna try a few more times if it keeps happening I'll find someone else
thanks!

Maybe just drop that particular song, or as jongtr said try it in a different key.

I know with me sometimes I get a song which I just can't get right for no apparent reason, often in the same key as another I can do fine. If it doesn't start working, I drop it & move on - but then I'm not the main singer in my band, I only do the occasional song to give the main singer a break.

A pro singer though, I'd expect to be able to hit most tunes straight off if they have backing to follow. Even then, everyone has their range.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Are you asking if singers always sing in the right key when they don't have any reference pitch? A good singer probably has the rehearsed pitch set in their muscle memory, even if they don't know the note off the top of their head. But regardless of what pitch they start on, they should be able to sing all the pitches correct to whatever key.