Hopefully, I'm in the right section, as I don't know where-else this would fit....If I'm wrong, please don't kill me. I have a very important question....How can I hear myself on stage? I am a guitarist and a vocalist...So, the guitarist in me wants to hear the whole band to really *FEEL* the music, and the vocalist in me wants to hear his own voice to ensure that my vocals are on key/point. I have tried the cheap foam ear plugs, and the plastic ear plugs that are mainly for factory work, or any other loud work environment, but while I can hear my voice in my head, I can't get into the music because one ear (where I put the plug in) is pretty much deaf from having the plug in. I have heard some things about Earrasers (http://www.earasers.net/) but I was wondering if anyone has heard anything on them, or if someone can suggest something within that price range that will be perfect.

Cliffs:

Vocalist/guitarist needs to hear voice and the actual band clearly without muffle or feeling "deaf".
Tried standard foam ear plugs/can hear voice with them/but the band sounds muffled and I can't get into the music as much.
Price range: less than $50 ideally.
Quote by dustin.schumach
Hopefully, I'm in the right section, as I don't know where-else this would fit....If I'm wrong, please don't kill me. I have a very important question....How can I hear myself on stage? I am a guitarist and a vocalist...So, the guitarist in me wants to hear the whole band to really *FEEL* the music, and the vocalist in me wants to hear his own voice to ensure that my vocals are on key/point. I have tried the cheap foam ear plugs, and the plastic ear plugs that are mainly for factory work, or any other loud work environment, but while I can hear my voice in my head, I can't get into the music because one ear (where I put the plug in) is pretty much deaf from having the plug in. I have heard some things about Earrasers (http://www.earasers.net/) but I was wondering if anyone has heard anything on them, or if someone can suggest something within that price range that will be perfect.

Cliffs:

Vocalist/guitarist needs to hear voice and the actual band clearly without muffle or feeling "deaf".
Tried standard foam ear plugs/can hear voice with them/but the band sounds muffled and I can't get into the music as much.
Price range: less than $50 ideally.

This was the cheapest stage monitor I could find on amazon, but I didnt look too much into it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A65XO34/ref=s9_top_hm_awbw_boFEr_g267_i24/153-6498369-1231813?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=mobile-hybrid-11&pf_rd_r=88511DSGP2C3WEZQPZXX&pf_rd_t=30901&pf_rd_p=32fc79e2-47e4-5eb8-a580-56b7300b2aa7&pf_rd_i=11974981
Vic Firth when you want to bring down the sound pressure level but still hear everything pretty well. I am guessing hearing protection is your goal as you don't say whether you are using floor monitors or IEMs. The best solution by far... reduce on-stage volume levels and let the PA do the heavy lifting in sound projection.

I use these when the band is loud.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vic-Firth/VICEARPLUG-High-Fidelity-Hearing-Protection.gc
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 6, 2016,
Cajundaddy Sorry for a bit of lack of info. Usually, the places we play do not have floor monitors. That's really where my concern for vocals comes in.
Also, to add...I'm extremely new to the in-ear monitor concept as well...If someone could enlighten me on that, that would be amazingly appreciated. I have no clue how they set-up, and I have no clue if they are affordable.
Quote by dustin.schumach
Cajundaddy Sorry for a bit of lack of info. Usually, the places we play do not have floor monitors. That's really where my concern for vocals comes in.

No monitors? You are fecked. No way to sound good on vocals without monitors so get your own or play better venues that have decent gear. A pair of decent powered wedges can be had for about $400 used or $700 new. An IEM system for the whole band will run about $5k for decent gear including the ability to get a personal mix. Not affordable for young musicians starting out.

I play in several situations. My rock band uses powered wedges for vocals and keys w/3 part harmonies so we need to hear vocals really well. My jazz combo usually uses wedges, and some fixed venues we play have an IEM system on stage so I only need to bring my personal IEMs.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Cajundaddy I totally hear you. The venue scene is pretty much (for the most part with some exceptions) dead in my area. It's mainly house shows with limited gear. Which, I of course do not mind at all, because sometimes, the house shows are even better than venues...but since they run off of limited gear, I can't hear myself UNLESS I put in a foam ear-plug into one ear, but then I feel deaf in one ear, and get "half" into the music since I can only hear it a little bit. I can't rock out as hard. I'm sure you understand what I mean.
No monitoring? Ouch. At least for vocals, you need to be able to hear yourself other than the reverberance from the PA. A tiny mixer (enough to split your mic to whatever PA and your monitoring) and a powered wedge monitor will get you there.
Quote by dustin.schumach
Cajundaddy I keep running into products like this whenever I look for IEM's....These are not true IEM's I'm guessing? I really don't know much about these at all...How would something like this be set-up? https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Ear-Guitarists-Vocalists-Excellent/dp/B017UVXA0I/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Those are just the earpieces. There has to be either a wireless pack or wired headphone amp to drive the earpieces.
Quote by dustin.schumach
Cajundaddy I keep running into products like this whenever I look for IEM's....These are not true IEM's I'm guessing? I really don't know much about these at all...How would something like this be set-up? https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Ear-Guitarists-Vocalists-Excellent/dp/B017UVXA0I/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

No experience with those. You really need an IEM system to use them effectively which is a lot more $$. My recommendation is to use "side fill" from your house PA speakers to allow you to hear yourself or get a small personal powered monitor. One of these would be just enough to hear yourself well and is very portable. The other band members will also hear you better which helps a lot.
https://reverb.com/item/1284729-pm10a-400w-2-way-loudspeaker-monitor?_aid=pla&pla=1&gclid=COGNyf79lNACFQuAfgodMYUJeA

Had a fun experience playing with a shitty monitor once.

Small bar, and there was only one small monitor (solely for vocals) that didn't go above the sound of amps and whatnot. Asked the bar owner, he said 'deal with it' because the vocals were clear enough in the rest of the bar, so it was really my problem. We played the gig, I tried my best.
Bar owner came up to us after the gig, saying we played pretty well, but his "advise" to me was that I should really practice my singing because I was off-key the whole time.
kitty on my foot and I wanna touch it
meow meow meow meow meow meow
Quote by ultimate-slash
Had a fun experience playing with a shitty monitor once.

Small bar, and there was only one small monitor (solely for vocals) that didn't go above the sound of amps and whatnot. Asked the bar owner, he said 'deal with it' because the vocals were clear enough in the rest of the bar, so it was really my problem. We played the gig, I tried my best.
Bar owner came up to us after the gig, saying we played pretty well, but his "advise" to me was that I should really practice my singing because I was off-key the whole time.
Oh, the world of musicians. Some people just don't underst-

oh w8 this is the pit what am i doing i have to talk post-ironically