Hello,

I've been more and more into playing acoustic lately (meaning for the past 3-4 years ). I'm finishing Mark Hanson's Art of Solo Fingerpicking book and I'm having a blast with it. I play a resonator that I bought a while back which I really, really love. I also have a 12-string Yamaha (non-amplified) which I also really love... I'm just missing a 'straight' electro-acoustic and I'd like to fill that huge hole in my life and get as good as I can at fingerpicking. :-)

I've been kind of looking on and off in the guitar stores around me. My price range is $400-$500 max. Mostly I'd use it for fingerpicking. Recently I played a Seagull Excursion (with a solid top) which I thought was quite nice. I actually liked the rugged and spartan feel quite a bit. Last week I tried a Breedlove Concert Pursuit which I thought was even better though. Very comfortable to play, the quality seemed really nice, and I also really liked the sound (unamplified, haven't tried it plugged in), really smooth and mellow but well-defined at the same time... does anyone here have one? And if you do, what do you think about it?

I'd also like to know if anyone has any recommendations. Thanks!
Seagull, Takamine, Breedlove, and Yamaha all have quality guitars A/E at that price point. I own a Yamaha and Seagull and like em, gigged with the Seagull today. I would not hesitate to own one of the other two.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Thanks!

If one wanted to try his hand at some Tommy Emmanuel's stuff for example, should one focus on guitars with cutaways only?
OliveG

No. The cutaway does give you a little better access to the higher frets but it is mostly a fashion statement IMO. I have both std and cutaway and use them both without reservation.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
always get the guitar that YOU like the best - sounds like that would very much be the breedlove. i wasn't crazy about the breedlove, and a big part of that is nut width. i play only fingerstyle, and i prefer a nut no narrower than 1 13/16", as it gives my fingers room, but the breedlove has a 1 11/16" nut which i find constrictive and no fun. you obviously had a different experience, so my preferences and opinions aren't going to help you. breedloves aren't guitars with problems as a rule, and the one you liked is a purty guitar, never a bad thing.

i rarely play that high up the neck, but there have been a few times when i REALLY wished i had a cutaway - not having one made the highest frets a big annoyance to reach. but as i say, i rarely play that high.

i suggest you buy the breedlove and play it.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Nov 6, 2016,
Yeah, I really liked it, I need to go and play it again to get my own second opinion! :-D I sort of feel like it'd be better to have the cutaway, because just like you said, even if you don't go that high very often, when you do go I have a feeling it'd be frustrating not to have it... and I saw some used ones for like $350 at Guitar Center in excellent condition, it's hard to beat that...

I found the neck super confortable, I was not really bothered by the width but it'd be interesting to compare to a wider one. Although I suspect my resonator is probably on the wide side... I need to measure it... thanks!
Quote by Cajundaddy
OliveG

No. The cutaway does give you a little better access to the higher frets but it is mostly a fashion statement IMO. I have both std and cutaway and use them both without reservation.

I mostly agree with that, and both my main fingerpicking guitars are non-cutaway. However, a cutaway is good if you want to play slide.
Quote by OliveG
. . . . Last week I tried a Breedlove Concert Pursuit which I thought was even better though. Very comfortable to play, the quality seemed really nice, and I also really liked the sound (unamplified, haven't tried it plugged in), really smooth and mellow but well-defined at the same time... does anyone here have one? And if you do, what do you think about it? . . .

At the end of the day, which guitar you buy is your choice and your's alone. $400 to $500 is ample money to buy a very good guitar - there are so many great guitars available these days that, in that price range, it's hard to go wrong. All the brands mentioned above are very good but remember that it's all subjective - one person's "great" guitar might be another person's "dog".

If you like the Breedlove a lot - and you seem to - buy it. I hadn't played a Breedlove until a few weeks ago - they are not common here in the UK - but I spent a happy hour in a music shop in Norwich playing lots of guitars and three of them were Breedloves - all were excellent guitars; well made, great quality, very playable and sounded lovely. If those three were representative of the brand I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
Last edited by Garthman at Nov 7, 2016,