so i want to replace the rockfield pickups in my michael kelly patriot custom. i play mostly 80's hair metal and classic rock with this guitar and i was looking for something that would fit well. i came across the SD jason becker perpetual burn pickup and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. obviously its suited for shred stuff but will it also work nicely with some of those 80's tones IE: van halen, winger, extreme, ratt??????
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
The Perpetual Burn was designed for 80s shred tones, so yeah, it will. To my ears, it is more like a little brother to the JB, but more touch sensitive and less compressed, which is why I like it more. It is articulate and dynamic, and sounds best with a pushed Marshall-type of amp.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
well i was looking at the suhr aldrich and that thing kicks some serious ass. this is a hard choice. im a big fan of SD ive used them for a long time but.....that Suhr sounds delicious

the major difference at the moment is the price...i can score a becker from a local shop on the cheap.

Quote by Mincer
The Perpetual Burn was designed for 80s shred tones, so yeah, it will. To my ears, it is more like a little brother to the JB, but more touch sensitive and less compressed, which is why I like it more. It is articulate and dynamic, and sounds best with a pushed Marshall-type of amp.

hmmmm pushed marshall is exactly the opposite of a EVH 5150iii. im wondering how the becker would sound through it
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Well, Doug's sound was a lot different than Jason's, and they used very different equipment.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan