So I made the mistake of walking into a guitar store and checking out the new Christmas stock and I felt like a paedophile at Disney land looking at all the expensive guitars XD I tried a red ESP custom shop and I loved it. It had a beautiful red finish and it was equipped with emg 81/85s. I wanted it so bad. The guitar I have right now is an ltd ec 331 with emg 81/85s and tbh I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in tone between the two guitars with my 15 year old undeveloped ears since they're both mahogany guitars with emgs. But seriously I have an obsession now! I've also made the mistake of looking up zakk wylde signatures (I'll admit I'm more of a zakk wylde fan boy than I'd like to admit) and his Gibson les Paul bullseye is now my dream guitar. Seriously the fact that it's gonna be years before I can afford something like that makes me miserable. I get this weird notion in my head sometimes that my guitar isn't good enough for me to advance on and I honestly don't think that's true and I think I'm just overthinking. As I said before my ears probably can't tell the difference between a zakk wykde bullseye with emgs and my current ltd. I'm planning on taking up a job soon and start saving for new gear such as pedals but I might put it towards a new guitar.

Have any of you guys suffered from bad gas? How did you get through?
Quote by MadaRuaDubh13
Have any of you guys suffered from bad gas?

Yes, all of us. Also, we like to buy guitars.

Quote by MadaRuaDubh13
How did you get through?

Buying guitars.
I can keep it in check.

If I know the guitar will send me back a bit(or alot) I'll take my time before I pick it up.

I had the same guitar for over 10 years so I can make do with what I have for the time being... the only thing I have a hard time dealing with is when I see a good deal for something and not just guitars... haha.
I got my first 2 electrics in 2003-04. I added 2 more in 2004-05. I was good with those for @8 years. My pedalboard had @13 stompboxes or so, plus a Carl Martin Octaswitch.

I have added 20+ electrics and at least 40 pedals since then.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I have added 20+ electrics and at least 40 pedals since then.
And 0 amps

Actually, I added 1.25 amps in that time. When I first got my electrics, I played through a Korg Px4 exclusively, and had purchased a good 8-9 pedals before I bought my Fender HRD in 2006. (The .25 is a tiny, SS desktop Orange amp I use for voice shenanigans.)

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
I just blame it on the dogs, As to Gear Acquisition Syndrome, I grew up in another era, playing the crap out of cheap gear and making it sound good was cool, Today it seems every teenager and his dog named PC needs to have the best of the best to be cool. Weather they can play or not, Just cover up they're ineptitude with so called power chords and massive distortion, I can do that with the cheapest POS guitar on the planet. put a nice paint job on it and some shiny bits and they wouldn't know a good guitar from a bad one, How many guitars and other gear you wish to acquire is just a matter of how much money you have and how much of a pack rat you are, Personally I have 6 electric guitars and 3 amps, All have they're own unique attitude and use, and I use all of them,
buying the same guitar with a different logo just because its pretty or has more bling makes as much sense as teats on a butterfly.
I dunno...kinda depends on the butterfly.

alhaq369
I've had very, very bad GAS which I seem to have got under control a bit more lately - now that I've realised that putting some money aside for something I've been looking for for a long time and just waiting for the right one to come along is far more rewarding in the long run.

Unless you really don't like playing your guitar or there's something legitimately wrong with it, there's no reason it will hold you back - convincing yourself that you need a better guitar in order to advace will definitely hold you back, though. That said, sometimes a new guitar can encourage and motivate you which is never a bad thing, but I don't believe that it's entirely necessary for your development as a musician.
Happiness is a warm Vox AC30
I have GAS in the sense that there's a very long list of guitars I'd like to own one day, but also in the sense that I manage my money well enough to always have cash for a killer deal.

I used to buy and sell a lot of pedals and whatnot, which kept me happy with getting new stuff, but now I'm starting to do the same with guitars (and without selling guitars), so it's getting a bit harder to afford it all.
I've had atrocious GAS in recent months for Japanese Les Pauls. But I have a list of guitars I want to own longer than my arm.

The way you fix the problem is to get a job, make bank, save up and eventually buy what you really want.

You don't need a fancier guitar to make you a better guitar player. But having something that plays and sounds great does encourage you to practice more, which leads to you becoming a better guitar player in a shorter space of time.

But even when you do have a guitar that plays and sounds great, the GAS doesn't go away. So if you believe that getting a new guitar will cure your GAS, expect yourself to be disappointed and find yourself looking at other guitars within the same week.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I've had atrocious GAS in recent months for Japanese Les Pauls. But I have a list of guitars I want to own longer than my arm.

The way you fix the problem is to get a job, make bank, save up and eventually buy what you really want.

You don't need a fancier guitar to make you a better guitar player. But having something that plays and sounds great does encourage you to practice more, which leads to you becoming a better guitar player in a shorter space of time.

But even when you do have a guitar that plays and sounds great, the GAS doesn't go away. So if you believe that getting a new guitar will cure your GAS, expect yourself to be disappointed and find yourself looking at other guitars within the same week.

Yes!
I think it's pretty common for most folks to go through a phase like this. My best advice is to always pay with cash - never charge or go into debt over gear.

You're right that your EC-331 with the EMGs is a good guitar. How much will you notice the difference between yours and something more expensive? It depends on the 2 specific examples of the guitars.

Are there better guitars? Sure. Do you need them? Probably not. Do you want them? Absolutely.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about.