Anything you think about either!

These two are on my list of possible new amps to upgrade from my Spider IV 30w.

Go!
- Guitar(s) -
S-1 Schecter Diamond Series (Stock)
- Amps/Pedals -
Line 6 Spider IV 30w (Not ashamed) with MKII footswitch
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
SlappyHours I know nothing of the boss and had a spider, which is never happening again. Don't know what to tell ya.
kramer242

Well thanks for takin a look
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
Quote by SlappyHours
Anything you think about either!

These two are on my list of possible new amps to upgrade from my Spider IV 30w.

Go!
If you are upgrading, I would make the upgrade worthwhile and jump a tier or two in quality rather than staying in somewhat the same area of cheaper SS modelers.

Budget?
Genres?
New or Used?
Home or Gig?
Closest City?
Current Gear?
Quote by kramer242
SlappyHours how much does the spider cost
https://www.google.com/search?q=Spider+V&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=Spider+V&safe=active
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 6, 2016,
Personally If you like the line and own an Apple or Android device, is go to YouTube and watch an amplifi demo..... they dio some cool stuff and have a ton of features.... pending what you play vox are excellent amps. Right now I own a 120 watt vox blue series head and 2x12....400 or 450 off Craigslist.... there is allot of good out there. Do a search for amps that are good for whatever it is you want to play
Will Lane

Budget=200-400 dollars (400 is pushing it) (if head not including cab)
Genres= all
Dont care if new or used
Something that can be used at a gig
I live in the city so thats not an issue
Line 6 Spider IV 30w
FBV MKII Express
Schecter S-1 (I believe) Diamond Series
Homemade strat (1 humbucker)
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
kramer242 thanks man!
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
Spiders not so good for gigging but ok for practicing.....i seen used amplifi going for 3-4 for the 150.... there is some really knowledgable ppl on here who may be a little more helpful....i also had a vypewas a pain to get used to but when I did it was decent and kept it's clarity better than my spider 3 did at high volumes and one of them was a tube amp.... used to have a decent 90 watt fender that was pretty good and inexpensive... allot out there with some patience.... for gigging though unless outta tube you may want to go higher than 30 watts
Quote by SlappyHours
Will Lane

Budget=200-400 dollars (400 is pushing it) (if head not including cab)
Genres= all
Dont care if new or used
Something that can be used at a gig
I live in the city so thats not an issue
Line 6 Spider IV 30w
FBV MKII Express
Schecter S-1 (I believe) Diamond Series
Homemade strat (1 humbucker)
Okay. The usual suggestions in that range are (used) MK1 Peavey Valvekings, Jet City models, and Peavey Classic 30's. The Valveking and JCA models have more potential for high-gain music, but I would prefer the C30's clean and OD tones.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 7, 2016,
I'd stay away from another Spider. As mentioned, it would be more of a sideways movement compared to an actual upgrade. The Katana is a newer product and I personally haven't tried it but I doubt it would be much of an upgrade either.

What kind of music do you play? It would be easier to suggest something to look at if we know the kind of tones you'd be interested in getting. Depending on the kind of music you play, you might be able to find a nice combo in your budget.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I had the chance to try the Spider V the other day. Very disappointing, I was ready to be impressed, or at least interested. I tried hard to get a decent sound, but it just wasn't there.

The Katana looks neat, but I'm not holding my breath.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I've looked at all of your replies, and taken them all into account.
I play all genres of music (To answer that question) so I need a pretty versatile tone. I would be fine with getting a Peavey Bandit or Fender Champion or something and running pedals into it for distortion and effects.
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
Get a tube amp, best you can find in your price range. For gigging or jamming it's the better option.
Quote by reverb66
Get a tube amp, best you can find in your price range. For gigging or jamming it's the better option.

Tubes are cool, but I don't really want one.
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
Quote by SlappyHours

Fair enough, then perhaps a different modeling amp? The Peavey Vypyr or Vox Valvetronix, perhaps? If you have an iPad you could always download something like BIAS FX and buy a good set of headphones or a powered monitor and play that way. I do this and I think you get a lot better sound than your average lower end modeling amp.
SlappyHours The problem with modelling amps is that they really show their weaknesses at louder volumes. A cheap tube amp is the better option if you can find one that covers the music you play ( look for a used amp). Trust me on this - solid state and cheap modelling amps are flushing money down the toilet, because you will buying a new amp in 2 years to replace them. You already have a cheap modelling amp, buying another is not going to improve anything. I've tested the Line 6 Amplifi 150watt amp in a jam - it was brutally terrible next to the cheap Vox ac15 the other guitar player had.

At the very least, take the time to test out some amps at a store or save more money an up your budget.
Quote by SlappyHours
Quote by reverb66
SlappyHours The problem with modelling amps is that they really show their weaknesses at louder volumes. A cheap tube amp is the better option if you can find one that covers the music you play ( look for a used amp). Trust me on this - solid state and cheap modelling amps are flushing money down the toilet, because you will buying a new amp in 2 years to replace them. You already have a cheap modelling amp, buying another is not going to improve anything. I've tested the Line 6 Amplifi 150watt amp in a jam - it was brutally terrible next to the cheap Vox ac15 the other guitar player had.

At the very least, take the time to test out some amps at a store or save more money an up your budget.
Yeah, sorry. If you want to step up your tone game you'll get out of the (likely cheap) SS amp market and step into the Tube market. Unless you want to pay big bucks for the good SS/Modeling equipment, jumping laterally in quality compared to your spider, Tube is your next step. If you want to stay in that same tier of the cheap SS market, then you can- but you are not doing future you any favors, you are for the most part just staying where you are at tone-wise and that is a waste of money IMO. A $300-$400 tube amp (find USED) will likely be miles more professional than a modeler at the same price point.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 8, 2016,
I've read all of the recent replies just now. I know, tube amp "will sound much better", but I'd rather go with a nice solid state. I think I'm goind to get one of the old transtube peavey bandits and a few pedals. Not sure though, might just stick with the Spider.
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
I would stick with the Spider. If you don't want to spend the money to go upper or mid tier modeling, then you may as well save some money. The Bandits aren't terrible but aren't enough of an upgrade in my opinion.

Things to look at in the future if your budget grows:

Atomic Amplifire
Line 6 Helix
Kemper Profiler
Axe FX

if you only wanted to play lighter stuff I'd say the Roland Blues Cube would be a good buy. They sound pretty fantastic, but are not for anything heavy at all.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I would stick with the Spider. If you don't want to spend the money to go upper or mid tier modeling, then you may as well save some money. The Bandits aren't terrible but aren't enough of an upgrade in my opinion.

Things to look at in the future if your budget grows:

Atomic Amplifire
Line 6 Helix
Kemper Profiler
Axe FX

if you only wanted to play lighter stuff I'd say the Roland Blues Cube would be a good buy. They sound pretty fantastic, but are not for anything heavy at all.

Thanks! Might stick with the Spider, might get the Bandit and pedals, not sure. Also, what would be considered "mid tier modeling" in comparison to the spider? Like a Vetta or something?
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
The Vetta, while nice, is a bit dated. I'd say the Atomic Amplifire is a good example. The Blues Cube is another example.

If you can find a cheap used Vetta, I wouldn't pass it up, but there are definitely better options.
SlappyHours The last thing you should be buying is a Peavey Bandit - I spent the first 10 years of my playing using various solid state amps, Peavey Bandit, Marshall Valvestate, Tubeworks 2x12 - none hold up to even an entry level tube amp at jamming volumes. I wish someone could have advised me when I was starting out, but I just followed the marketing hype from magazines, which were flooded with solid state and "hybrid amps". You can buy what you want, but I'm trying to save you hassle and money because I've been down the road you're looking at - it's a frustrating road with shitty tone and endless buying of pedals to fix said tone. There is probably not a single album that you listen to that has a solid state amp used to record it.
Quote by reverb66
SlappyHours The last thing you should be buying is a Peavey Bandit - I spent the first 10 years of my playing using various solid state amps, Peavey Bandit, Marshall Valvestate, Tubeworks 2x12 - none hold up to even an entry level tube amp at jamming volumes. I wish someone could have advised me when I was starting out, but I just followed the marketing hype from magazines, which were flooded with solid state and "hybrid amps". You can buy what you want, but I'm trying to save you hassle and money because I've been down the road you're looking at - it's a frustrating road with shitty tone and endless buying of pedals to fix said tone. There is probably not a single album that you listen to that has a solid state amp used to record it.

Thanks a lot man, I appreciate the reply. Yeah I'm just a young kid, been playing for almost 7 years and don't have a lot of money. What you said applies to professionally produced, bigger albums. When the band I'm got he chance of a lifetime to go to a studio, I used a Spider. B)
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
The implication is big bands because those are the tones you want. It doesn't matter if you recorded an album with a spider and it doesn't change his point really.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R never went against his point
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
dementiacaptain I have a smartphone.
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
Might be worth it to download BIAS Amp of BIAS FX and get an interface. It's harder to use on a phone, but the sounds are pretty good, better IMO than a Spider.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Might be worth it to download BIAS Amp of BIAS FX and get an interface. It's harder to use on a phone, but the sounds are pretty good, better IMO than a Spider.

Interesting, I'll take a look, thanks!
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s