I know, I've been posting a lot of amp threads.

I've almost 100% decided that I'm going to buy a Peavey Bandit as my main amp, for pedal use, and I'm not sure which model to get. I've heard the TransTubes are the best but it's really hard to tell online which is which.
- Guitar(s) -
S-1 Schecter Diamond Series (Stock)
- Amps/Pedals -
Line 6 Spider IV 30w (Not ashamed) with MKII footswitch
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
IMO the mid 80s Peavey combos were the best. The ones with the metal plates and the colored knobs. You could pick up an old Bandit 65 for real cheap.
*your ad here*
I got a 90s silverstripe transtube bandit. They're an OK solid state amps for the price. Distortion is a bit shit but the cleans are nice. I bought a 6505 mini head and routed it into the bandit with transtube on full and it sounds super heavy at low volumes. The transtube saturates the gain a bit more and let's you add dirt by playing harder, makes the amp sound more alive to me. I'd probably save up for a better amp combo TBH and I'll be replacing mine for a proper cab when I can afford. The Bandit doesn't do high gain very well at all from my experience. Can you go to a shop and try some out?
I used a Silver Stripe TransTube with the matching 112 ext cab and a pedalboard for years. I was happy with the set up.

That being said, I ran the pedals through the clean channel so basically I was strictly using it as a power amp (that had a built in compressor and reverb). And the Sheffield speakers are pretty versatile but not perfect for anything. So the cleans are pretty good, and the speakers sound good with FX through them, but the gain channel is horrible. Once I bought a better amp, I started realizing how much of my tone comes from the amp/speakers and I switched from buying all kinds of guitars to amps and speakers.

I guess what I'm saying is, the Bandit is good if you just need something for noise to come out of it. It's reliable and has a couple nice options but I would save and buy something else. I still have that old set up, but only because it's a 100w 212 if I need it in a pinch.
theogonia777 thanks alot man!
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
Quote by diabolical
Good and Bandit in one sentence is a bit hard to swallow...but what he said ^

Ha!
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
thebefed yeah I'll probably go try some out
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
Xander_X yeah it seems pretty reliable. See I'm just looking for something basic with a clean channel I can run pedals into (especially distortion pedals)
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
Quote by theogonia777
IMO the mid 80s Peavey combos were the best. The ones with the metal plates and the colored knobs. You could pick up an old Bandit 65 for real cheap.

had one for a bit back in the day and it did work reasonably well with pedals. saturation channel pretty much sucked. with my Rat it sounded ok for band use. these days I'd rather get a used Peavey Valveking though.
Quote by monwobobbo
had one for a bit back in the day and it did work reasonably well with pedals. saturation channel pretty much sucked. with my Rat it sounded ok for band use. these days I'd rather get a used Peavey Valveking though.

Good to know, yeah I'm definitely gonna run pedals through it for dirt (if I get one).
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
I have a redstripe bandit from the US, and i think its actually a pretty decent amp. Rarely used the gain channel, i just ran distortion boxes trough it, but if i remember correctly, the gain channel itself wasnt as bad as everyone says, you just had to use the "high gain" mode not the "modern" mode. It also has a legit spring reverb in it thats not bad. So yeah, its not such a bad amp, and i hear a speaker change really improves it. I also have an Peavey Envoy that i used for home practice, but that one wasnt as good.

Still, if i were you, id go for something different. For the price you can surely come up with better amps.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
gorkyporky

The gain type switch didn't come along until the red stripe bandit, though it probably does the same thing as the "Thrash" button on the older models.

I'm not trying to invalidate you're opinion on the Bandits gain, I just did t want to co fuse the kid if he gets an earlier USA one and starts looking for that switch.

No clue what the new ones have. I stopped paying attention to anything that Peavey made over sees the moment that happened.
Xander_X

I was under the impression that he was gonna get a new one. Im pretty sure those have the switch i was referring to, since my Envoy also has it. I didnt know the previous ones didnt have it tho
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
the gain type makes the red stripe sound a lot different than the silver stripe. I tried a usa version out in a pawn shop and it was very nice. I also tried a evh 5150 through a black star 212 cab and that amp sounds just like my silver stripe bandit. Bandits are great amps. You cant go wrong owning one. They are functional working amps
Last edited by geo-rage at Nov 10, 2016,
Quote by gorkyporky
I have a redstripe bandit from the US, and i think its actually a pretty decent amp. Rarely used the gain channel, i just ran distortion boxes trough it, but if i remember correctly, the gain channel itself wasnt as bad as everyone says, you just had to use the "high gain" mode not the "modern" mode. It also has a legit spring reverb in it thats not bad. So yeah, its not such a bad amp, and i hear a speaker change really improves it. I also have an Peavey Envoy that i used for home practice, but that one wasnt as good.

Still, if i were you, id go for something different. For the price you can surely come up with better amps.

Thanks for the reply and advice!
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
EVH 5150 sounds like a Bandit? Damn, I want to argue that but I've never played one so I can't.

I know they're voiced a bit differently than the Peavey 5150, but my Peavey 5150 sounds NOTHING like a Bandit, or any solid state for that matter.
Quote by Xander_X
gorkyporky

The gain type switch didn't come along until the red stripe bandit, though it probably does the same thing as the "Thrash" button on the older models.

I'm not trying to invalidate you're opinion on the Bandits gain, I just did t want to co fuse the kid if he gets an earlier USA one and starts looking for that switch.

No clue what the new ones have. I stopped paying attention to anything that Peavey made over sees the moment that happened.

Haha, interesting information
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
Quote by geo-rage
the gain type makes the red stripe sound a lot different than the silver stripe. I tried a usa version out in a pawn shop and it was very nice. I also tried a evh 5150 through a black star 212 cab and that amp sounds just like my silver stripe bandit. Bandits are great amps. You cant go wrong owning one. They are functional working amps

Yeah man they seem great! Thanks!
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s