I'm getting back into playing after a long layoff, I was never more than a beginner who could play more than a bunch of metal intros.
I want to learn how to play WHOLE songs (solo included) and to play with good timing.

Any suggestions for slower metal songs with fairly simple solos?
am i evil - maybe? the solo is easy but still might be a bit much for starting back out.
Take a song from a different genre of music with no guitar and metalize it and add your own fills .
Metallica Load and Reload records.
Holy Diver - Dio
Sabbath.
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction record.
Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love.
AC/DC songs.
Not sure the sub genre, but here's some easy ones imo

Picture Perfect - Escape the Fate
Nymphetamine Fix - Cradle of Filth
A Prophecy - Asking Alexandria
Angels Fall - Breaking Benjamin
Pain - Of Mice and Men
Venom - Bullet For My Valentine

just to name a few..
Metal67

Start with Iron Man, Paranoid and War Pigs from Black Sabbath

Other easy beginner metal songs are For Whom the Bell Tolls and Sanitarium from Metallica.

Start there - it's a good foundation.
I was going to recommend For Whom the Bell Tolls, a great tune that's not too complex for guitar parts, and is still super heavy!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I don't know if you're into the idea of game music...but a track called "Controlling The Iron Beast" from Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core helped me out when I was starting to use an electric guitar like yourself.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge