So I have this Music man axis guitar copy which is a mahogany body and maple neck.

The thing is, the stock pickup sucks like hell and it isn't stable when I"m going for the full gain..

I knew about this and so I'm planning to change my bridge pickup.

I like to play alot of punk songs but i don't like hardcore punk or heavy metal that much.

I need a pickup that can cope with high gain / distortion but can also get a nice clean tone..
A lot of this sort of thing depends on your amp. What amp are you using?

The Custom 5 is a bit lower output than the JB, so it may be a bit better suited for slightly cleaner tones. But it may also sound a bit scooped. The JB has more mids and less bass. For some reason, the JB sounds awesome in some guitars, but pretty bad in others though.

Have you considered just a regular Custom?
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
I had a Custom 5 in a LP studio and it sounded very good. Handled distortion and cleans equally as well. I actually liked mine more than the JB. Then again the JB was in an SG.
It does depend more on your amp though.
Gibson DC standard, PRS S2 Mira, Fender MIA strat, HWY1 tele, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Charvel Pro mod, ESP LTD EC1000 and Viper 400
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100, EVH 5153, Peavey Classic 30 2-2x12's
Misc. Pedals
Quote by 477mika1
So I have this Music man axis guitar copy which is a mahogany body and maple neck.

The thing is, the stock pickup sucks like hell and it isn't stable when I"m going for the full gain..

I knew about this and so I'm planning to change my bridge pickup.

What, exactly, do you mean about a pickup not being "stable?" What does it do?
And who told you this ("I knew about this")?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
A lot of this sort of thing depends on your amp. What amp are you using?

The Custom 5 is a bit lower output than the JB, so it may be a bit better suited for slightly cleaner tones. But it may also sound a bit scooped. The JB has more mids and less bass. For some reason, the JB sounds awesome in some guitars, but pretty bad in others though.

Have you considered just a regular Custom?

sh5 is the regular (ceramic) custom. the sh14 is the custom 5.

they probably could've named them more clearly.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

dspellman What i mean is that because its a cheap pickup, the buzz starts to kick in and when I'm going for full gain all i hear is just destruction...

When I bought my guitar I knew that it has a crappy G n B korea pickup in it..
So for punk music i actually notice 2 things.

For bands like Green Day, They normally use an overdrive and the guitar riffs normally sound bright.

However, for bands like Fall out Boy or maybe even Nirvana, They use Distortion from pedals or some orange amp and they sound darker.

I'm looking for a pickup that can handle some of the nice crunchy overdrive sound but can also deliver a very nice chuggy dark Distortion..

I know that the JB is often used in bright woods like the ones in telecaster's and strats.

If maybe There are better pickup's that these 2, I may except Some Dimarzio pickup's..
Last edited by 477mika1 at Nov 8, 2016,
T00DEEPBLUE I don't really want to talk about amp's that much because I'm constantly changing amp's..

A lot of my amp's are given to me by my cousins but my taste on tone is constantly changing.

I've tried messa boogie's, dark terrors and a bunch of marshall's.

For now I'm currently using a thunderverb 50 and a Jcm 900 (older version, dont know which )

I hope your're not curious about my cab's...........