So I'm thinking about buying a Jim Root Signature squier telecaster and I noticed it didn't come with active pickups. I was wondering if you're able to switch them out to active emg's. I've also checked out the back of the squier and regular telecaster and the plate to get to the electronics is the same. The regular has active emg's but will there be a place to put the battery in the squier?
If you switch to actives you need to change the wiring. pots and output jack. This Emg stuff is solder-less and comes with the pickups. Battery fits in the compartment.

You can put the battery in a control cavity *if you have the room for it.*

Teles tend to be tight on room, so most will have a battery compartment installed (routing required) on the back. It's also easier/faster to replace if you've got a flip-open battery compartment.

Best choice, of course, is to buy the guitar with all the goodies already installed.
I read something that with emgs there is some modifying needed to be done as opposed to blackouts coming in passive sizes.... also yeah the squire brand version isn't going to come with all the goodies, such as active, hence the price tag difference from the actual fender....if you look at the specs side by side you'll probably see allot of small build differences. All they do is try to use the most comparable products they can you keep it cost effective for those on a budget
Last edited by kramer242 at Nov 7, 2016,
Quote by dspellman
You can put the battery in a control cavity *if you have the room for it.*

Teles tend to be tight on room, so most will have a battery compartment installed (routing required) on the back. It's also easier/faster to replace if you've got a flip-open battery compartment.

Best choice, of course, is to buy the guitar with all the goodies already installed.
The Jim Root Tele has a bigger control cavity on the back, and with only two controls to worry about I don't think sticking a battery in there would be an issue.