Is there anyone here familiar with bugera amps. Alongside my guitar upgrade I'm looking to get another amp. I seem the bugera tubes were pretty affordable, but not sure on quality. Also, I've been more of a solid state amp guy, but have always liked tubes, so on making the change over, I was curious what kind of wattage rating would usually be necessary for gigging?
Last edited by kramer242 at Nov 13, 2016,
Bugera's have a reputation for being unreliable. They could actually be so, but it is also possible that they just sell such a high volume of products that there are more failure reports. Either way, they are not usually suggested because they are not a safe buy. 20w Tube is roughly enough to keep up with a drummer at a reasonable sized gig, 30w to be safe- you will likely not have clean headroom though. 50w for clean headroom.

Answer these questions to help us help you:

Budget?
Genres?
New or Used?
Home or Gig?
Closest City?
Current Gear?
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 7, 2016,
Will Lane thanks. I wasn't familiar with them and for the price it seemed a little worrisome.

Budget, was looking in the 500 range but if necessary can go higher due to payments
Genres anything from mellow classic rock to metal, all done on 7s tuned typically in drop g#
I'm aiming for new because of the tubes but if the conditioning is good enough I'm willing to buy used
For now I'll play mostly at home but will be looking to gig a bit too and tend to play a bit too loud anyway
My closest city is Harrisburg pa, but am doing everything online
Gear, well the 6 strings just collect dust these days so I'll just list the schecter blackjack atx c7, and I should be ordering the schecter km 7 fr s within a week. Dunlop fulbore metal, my zoom effects pedal broke so if there is anything with effects, that's a bonus. I mostly just use delay and occasionally chorus.

Also if it's any help, I usually sick to rhythm paying, with a few lead lines occasionally mixed in, so something for excellent leads is not overly necessary.
Quote by Will Lane
Bugera's have a reputation for being unreliable. They could actually be so, but it is also possible that they just sell such a high volume of products that there are more failure reports.

Yeah, that's a good point. I know on another forum I go to, a guy who normally knows what he's talking about says the Bugeras are actually built quite decently, for the price point at least. At least since all the problems were fixed, anyway.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Also to throw out there, as for the solid states, is there any out there that even come remotely close to a tube sound
Depending on the solution I may just spend a little extra and get a hughes and kettner
I'd say your best bet is to either go modeling (something like a POD HD series), or look for a good condition Marshall DSL40. Used Peaveys can also be found for that budget occasionally. The JSX, XXX, Ultra and the ever notorious 6505/5150 family are all a good buy.

Bugeras actually sound pretty nice, but as has been noted there have been some pretty spectactular failures. I had a 6260 and never had a significant issue, but that's one guys experience.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
dementiacaptain thank you I'm going to look all them up right now. Now the one question I'm looking up yet....i know Tube takes less wattage to get the volume out of tube amps but how much wattage would be good for gigging should I ever decide to use it for that? If I use a modeling that won't be an issue. Biggest issue there is not losing that tube quality too much
I'd say they can compete in a lot brackets, versatility, cost of maintenance, etc.

Quality of tone, while VERY important isn't everything

In terms of gigging wattage, I'd say it depends on what you need. If you want really nice clear cleans, I'd probably go with 50W (if we are talking tube). If you want a more broken up clean, 20-30W would do it.

This of course is a generality. It comes down more to the individual amp. I've had 50W amps that are much louder (or at least seem so) than some 100W. Speaker choice, amp voicing, the room you're playing in, all these things can affect volume.
to be fair Bugera has gotten better. they actually do a good job of ripping off other makers designs and giving you an amp that has a very close sound. for the money they aren't a bad buy. if you can afford better then do so if not you could do worse.
I'll have to try to find some recent, hopefully honest reviews on the bugera..... another brand , at low prices I see getting pretty good reviews is kustom..... though I'm really getting tempted tip pull the trigger and spend a little extra on a hughes and kettner, or a used mesa boogie. One last question, and I know it's away from the tubes....i know the smaller MGs are terrible, at least four what I need, but does anyone know how the 101 is....i know some amps improve as you go up the scale. As for cleans I don't mind if it's completely smooth, i just to avoids the sound of almost a light distortion I get from my vox and got from my vyper with my actives, though it may not be so bad now that I'll soon be able too swap 7s.... but I still have some worry of this due to the nazgul being pretty high output
Quote by kramer242
I'll have to try to find some recent, hopefully honest reviews on the bugera..... another brand , at low prices I see getting pretty good reviews is kustom..... though I'm really getting tempted tip pull the trigger and spend a little extra on a hughes and kettner, or a used mesa boogie. One last question, and I know it's away from the tubes....i know the smaller MGs are terrible, at least four what I need, but does anyone know how the 101 is....i know some amps improve as you go up the scale. As for cleans I don't mind if it's completely smooth, i just to avoids the sound of almost a light distortion I get from my vox and got from my vyper with my actives, though it may not be so bad now that I'll soon be able too swap 7s.... but I still have some worry of this due to the nazgul being pretty high output

MG's are just plain not great doesn't matter what size.
monwobobbo cool.... thanks....it just struck my curiosity because I stumbled upon it during research.....i used a 15 or 30 once and I remembered that being absolutely terrible
You know, maybe I can talk my wife into letting me go balls to the wall.... she's my hurdle right now lol. I'm surprised she's entertaining the idea of me spending over a grand on a guitar.
Honestly I'd go cheaper on the guitar and direct that cash to a nicer amp. You can find some really awesome guitars for a reasonable price, and I'd say the amp is probably the bigger part of your sound barring MAJOR differences on the guitar.
dementiacaptain I can but aiming for a certain setup..... the cheapest I seen four what I'm asking for is a hellraiser fr s and I'm really not overly hired on the emgs in it..... if necessary I'll wait till income tax.... I'm gluing to have a pretty decent return so it will all work out regardless of which order
Quote by monwobobbo
to be fair Bugera has gotten better. they actually do a good job of ripping off other makers designs and giving you an amp that has a very close sound. for the money they aren't a bad buy. if you can afford better then do so if not you could do worse.

Besides the occasional fire you're right
Quote by kramer242
dementiacaptain I can but aiming for a certain setup..... the cheapest I seen four what I'm asking for is a hellraiser fr s and I'm really not overly hired on the emgs in it..... if necessary I'll wait till income tax.... I'm gluing to have a pretty decent return so it will all work out regardless of which order

Are you going used? Can't recommend that enough.
Quote by diabolical
Besides the occasional fire you're right

it's been a few years since that happened and they fixed the problem. not saying they are the kings of reliability but they aren't as bad as many make them out. definitely a case of you get what you pay for. for short term or a backup amp I don't see any real problem.
dementiacaptain for the guitar no.... not used.... it's a fairly new model.... but coupon code on reverb drops the price almost 200 dollars as opposed to everywhere else's price..... takes it to the same price as a b stock model pretty much give or take a few bucks
Last edited by kramer242 at Nov 9, 2016,
Bugera/Behringer have been involved in multiple lawsuits with Peavey, Roland, Mackie maybe more IIRC not the most ethical company the Bugera amps that I have tried sounded good enough for sure though never having owned one I can't vouch for their reliability.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Sorry guys if some of my stuff is hard to make out..... first android and the swipe text is terrible compared to Windows and I'm still adjusting.... like I size I'm leaning h &k..... going to look at blackstar, fender, and a few others.... all suggestions are welcome and helpful.... also I didn't know behringer and bugera were pretty much the same.... owned a behringer when I first started.... was happy with the sound and value at cost..... only held up roughly a year....i replaced it on a fender dsp 90, which I can't find anywhere anymore.... that was a pretty brutal amp..... my buddy used to come over and he played everything from Hendrix to g n r to metallica and megadeth and it all sounded great
I know it's not tube but reviews are pretty good.... how does 300 sound for a hughes and kettner warp 7 100 watt head and 4×12 cabinet in very good condition sound
Quote by kramer242
I know it's not tube but reviews are pretty good.... how does 300 sound for a hughes and kettner warp 7 100 watt head and 4×12 cabinet in very good condition sound

not a bad deal at all. can't comment on the qualt of either but a head and 4x12 t that price seems pretty fair.
From what I looked into had great sound for solid state and specifically designed for drop thinking, which works considering I never go higher than a standard..... once in a blue moon I'll go drop a
The Warp 7 is an awful piece of garbage...I just can't even describe how bad. Lackluster, dull, grating in a bad...I rented rehearsal studios (hourly) with 2 of these amps in there, they wore horrible, after the first practice we started taking our amps in, these were unbearably bad. I actually couldn't believe H&K put their names on this garbage.
Quote by diabolical
The Warp 7 is an awful piece of garbage...I just can't even describe how bad. Lackluster, dull, grating in a bad...I rented rehearsal studios (hourly) with 2 of these amps in there, they wore horrible, after the first practice we started taking our amps in, these were unbearably bad. I actually couldn't believe H&K put their names on this garbage.

don't hold back tell us how you really feel
diabolical good to know.... what tuning were you playing in.... the way it was designed I seen outta absolutely not supposed to be played in standard tuning..... only reason I ask..... either way may be worth it for the 4x12, and just sell the head cheap
Quote by kramer242
diabolical good to know.... what tuning were you playing in.... the way it was designed I seen outta absolutely not supposed to be played in standard tuning..... only reason I ask..... either way may be worth it for the 4x12, and just sell the head cheap
Depends on what speakers are in the 4x12 if that would be worth it. If the cab is of the same "series" as the Warp 7, and if they are really as bad as diabolical says, then it is probably not worth bothering.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I'd say your best bet is to either go modeling (something like a POD HD series), or look for a good condition Marshall DSL40. Used Peaveys can also be found for that budget occasionally. The JSX, XXX, Ultra and the ever notorious 6505/5150 family are all a good buy.

Bugeras actually sound pretty nice, but as has been noted there have been some pretty spectactular failures. I had a 6260 and never had a significant issue, but that's one guys experience.
I think these were your best options TS. Also in the same arena are the Jet City models and the Peavey Valveking, which may need a pedal to get into metal territory, but could do everything else easily. Both are "Marshall"-esque which were often used back in the day for metal, but may need some pushing to get a proper "metal" tone. The Valveking will likely need a speaker swap though, so that is (for a Vintage 30) around $145 out as well. VK's can be found for $200-$250 used, sometimes cheaper, though.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 12, 2016,
Will Lane thanks and I shall continue my search and research... all suggestions welcome and I am thankful for all the helpful ones I've been getting
I found a pretty awesome deal on a few amps mentioned..... I'm hoping I can get the 6505 I seen for 400... that leads me to one final question.... any affordable effects processors worth their weight.... is rather go that route than pedals but don't know much about them
The POD HD series is decent, if you just need effects the BOSS GT series is solid. People seem to like Zoom.
dementiacaptain I had a zoom once....i liked it but it was made cheap and busted on me lol....i take it back in the 6505 though, as I stumbled upon an excellent deal on a marshal dsl 40c
Now I'll going to see if I can finance on reverb and use coupons on the guitar and amp or if I have to wait till I deposit money Monday and use PayPal.... I'm hoping to look into the effects processors and I'll let you know if it's what I'm looking for.... worst case I'll just get a delay and chorus pedal....i use chorus occasionally and 90% of the time I keep a mild amount of delay on.... sounds excellent mixed with a moderate amount of reverb
Quick question....a mesa f50 popped up when I was going through some fine details, for 675.... how does that sound for pricing? Its the 2x12
Last edited by kramer242 at Nov 13, 2016,