Poll: How do find the key of a recording?
Poll Options
View poll results: How do find the key of a recording?
Chords
1 50%
Pentatonic scale
0 0%
Other scale
0 0%
Resolving note
1 50%
Other
0 0%
Voters: 2.
How do you find the key of a recording?

For the kind of simple things I play, blues and folk, I mostly find the pentatonic scale that fits or the resolving note, rather than chords. By the scalar method I can usually get it in the first few bars.

Are there other options?

Are there any strengths and weaknesses of particular approaches?
There really is only one answer which, ironically, isn't included in the list and that's the chord that the piece resolves to.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ yeah that's what i'd do (but i'm no theory ninja). Big flaw i can think of with the scale approach is that a lot of blues and rock (and associated styles of music) will use the minor pentatonic or blues scale over a piece which is actually in a major key- so judging by the scale which works could set you down the wrong path if you're not careful.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc

Yeah, I would take note of the major-minor tonality at the outset.

The way it works for me is that I find three consecutive pentatonic notes that are all in tune with the melody in question, that is sufficient to give you the key, unless it does an odd shift somewhere.