Hi there!
The first thing that i want to mention is that im new on this forum aswell as in the "guitar community" and english is not my first language. So with that out of the way as you saw in the title im going to be buying me a new electric guitar (and ana amp). And as i mentioned it earlier im fairly new in the guitar world. So as showed in the pinned post here are some infos:

1 Budget: the budget is somewhere around ~250€ which is (im not entierly shure) around 280$

2 The genre that i want to be playing is punk, metal or hard rock

3 Guitar preferences: As I said before im new to guitars but i was looking for a stratocaster type guitar but if any other would be worth mentioning ill take it

4 The colors: i know it's bit funny or maybe wierd but for me a guitar must look good aswell so - Neon colours or whole black guitar

5 Pick-ups: I dont know as much about pick-ups so please somebody educate me on that: from what ive heard 2 humbuckers are better for my style of music

6 New or used: it doesnt matter aslong t hasnt got any visible marks scars etc

7 Location: Germany Bayern

8 Current gear: 2 classic guitars

The guitars and amps that i was looking forward to:

Guitars:
CORT X1 BKS - 126€
Jackson JS11 Dinky BLK - 139€
Fender Squier Bullet Strat RW AW - 125€
Fender Squier Bullet Strat HSS SR BKM -129€
Jackson Js1x Dinky Miniony Neon Green/ Neon Pink - 145€

Amps:

FENDER MUSTANG I V2.0 - 125€
Roland Cube -10GX - 113€

The site i am looking forward to buying of one of those amps or guitars is thomann

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by m0n74g3 at Nov 7, 2016,
i don't know if you need two humbuckers- but certainly a bridge humbucker would be useful.

is that budget flexible at all? or maybe you could play through your computer or something like that and then save up for an amp after you get the guitar.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Hate to be the one to tell you this but unless you plan to up your budget it really wont matter what you buy, Just buy what is pleasing to the eye and get a feel for it, Play it and have fun with it, They're all going to be about the same in your price range, The guitar you play and the amp you use is a moot point, Want to add a decimal point to that budget then you can start talking about the genre of music you wish to play, Meaning you probably wouldn't want a Fender Hotrod Deville and Telecaster if playing Death Metal. Not that you couldn't, Just doesn't strike me as something a Metal head would like, most likely go for a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and guitar an axe murderer might fancy, and of course we'll need some active pickups on that weapon of mass destruction. which in turn I could kill some old school blues with. I just might look a little odd doing so. Meaning Genre of music means nothing to a guitar or amp. That's up to the person playing it, As these are your first steps on this journey I'll let you in on a secret, just hitch up the mule, load the cart, crack the whip and hold on tight, If that mule makes it to the end of your journey it will be a miracle.
Ok thanks
Yes the budget is flexible
And would it matter if i would buy a 2/3 Guitar ?
Would it be too short?
Okay, so what's the most you can spend, then?

A 2/3's scale guitar is fine, but the target market isn't full grown adults and usually aren't seen on high-end stuff. Unless your a kid or dwarf, in the long run, it's probably not in your best interest to go with a short scale. It does take a little work to get used to, but you'll find your options are as limited. 24.75 inch and 25.5 inch scale are common between Gibson and Fender and filter down to others.

I'd also like to vouch for looking at used guitars. My best guitar is at least $300 US (maybe up to $500) when it was new. I got it for $80.
Guitars:
Squire Bullet Strat, Schecter Damien 6, Washburn WG-587 & RX10
Amp/Effects:
Peavy Vypyr 30, ISP Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
Last edited by bjgrifter at Nov 8, 2016,
Quote by nastytroll
Hate to be the one to tell you this but unless you plan to up your budget it really wont matter what you buy, Just buy what is pleasing to the eye and get a feel for it, Play it and have fun with it, They're all going to be about the same in your price range, The guitar you play and the amp you use is a moot point, Want to add a decimal point to that budget then you can start talking about the genre of music you wish to play, Meaning you probably wouldn't want a Fender Hotrod Deville and Telecaster if playing Death Metal. Not that you couldn't, Just doesn't strike me as something a Metal head would like, most likely go for a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and guitar an axe murderer might fancy, and of course we'll need some active pickups on that weapon of mass destruction. which in turn I could kill some old school blues with. I just might look a little odd doing so. Meaning Genre of music means nothing to a guitar or amp. That's up to the person playing it, As these are your first steps on this journey I'll let you in on a secret, just hitch up the mule, load the cart, crack the whip and hold on tight, If that mule makes it to the end of your journey it will be a miracle.

There's some good points in there but your posts are SO hard to read...they're a bit "wall of text", if you could space things out a little with a couple of line breaks things would be so much easier to read.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by bjgrifter
Okay, so what's the most you can spend, then?

A 2/3's scale guitar is fine, but the target market isn't full grown adults and usually aren't seen on high-end stuff. Unless your a kid or dwarf, in the long run, it's probably not in your best interest to go with a short scale. It does take a little work to get used to, but you'll find your options are as limited. 24.75 inch and 25.5 inch scale are common between Gibson and Fender and filter down to others.

I'd also like to vouch for looking at used guitars. My best guitar is at least $300 US (maybe up to $500) when it was new. I got it for $80.

Around 450 dollars but i would like to use as less as needed :p (and i need like a case picks and all of that stuff too so i think the 50 $ are going to go for that)
IMO you are going to have to increase your budget and even if you double it you will need to buy used to get anything of merit.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

And little offtopic question - could somebody briefly explain to me what is the sound difference between humbuckers and single coil pickups?
Last edited by m0n74g3 at Nov 8, 2016,
I'd suggest watching one of the many youtube videos to hear the difference...
Back to playing my Gibson LP Standard... never can settle on what I want to play.
Since I got the Helix Rack it's all I've been using...
Yes i know i know there is a difference but all of the guitars have other differences and i would like to know why is that
^ the big difference is the pickups- not saying it's the only difference (and different guitars play differently etc. too) but if you want to hear the differences in sounds, then listening to a youtube video which compares a strat, a tele, a les paul and something with p90s (les paul junior or special are probably the most likely candidates) would let you hear the rough differences.

you can also get superstrats or fat strats with a humbucker in the bridge in addition to the usual single coils- that can be a decent idea for a beginner because it gives you both pickup types so you can decide what you like best.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

OP, try some guitars in local stores, see what is comfortable. Harley Benton might be interesting on a budget, looks like they make some decent Les Paul knockoffs. Main idea would be to find out whether you're Les Paul or Strat man - sound and neck width, etc.

The Cube should be ok starter amp.
diabolical
I would love to but the nearest decent store is 2+ h with a car and surprise surprise i dont have a car and my parents are working so if there would be a tiniest chance than on week-end

From what ive heard harley benton is very cheap but for like 40 more dollars you could get like a Fender Squier Bullet for example and i would like to know if that is true

I like both of the types but i think the Strat with a whammy bar/tremolo gives you more flexibility and i think it looks just better but i dont know wich one is better sounding for my genres

I found a better amp for 15 more bucks - Fender Mustang 1 v.2
And the guitar/extra stuff im interested in right now are

Cort x-2bk - guitar

https://m.thomann.de/intl/cort_x2_guitar.htm?i11l=en_GB%3ADE.EUR%3AEUR

Fender Mustang 1 v.2 - amp

https://m.thomann.de/intl/fender_mustang_i_v_2.htm?i11l=en_GB%3ADE.EUR%3AEUR

Harley Benton extreme metal - distortion pedal

https://m.thomann.de/intl/harley_benton_extreme_metal.htm?i11l=en_GB%3ADE.EUR%3AEUR

Thomann e guitar case BK wood - carrying case

https://m.thomann.de/intl/thomann_egitarren.htm?i11l=en_GB%3ADE.EUR%3AEUR

The total for that is 390 euros (425$)

And if somebody could look it up and tell me is it worth the money ill be gratefull/ or suggesting stuff not types of stuff but like this and this guitar not Brands or something it would be better and prefferably on thomann
You don't need a metal distortion pedal with a modelling amp- they get metal tones without pedals. You just need to make sure you buy a modelling amp with good metal tones since some are better than others. From what i hear, though i haven't tried it, the peavey vypyr has nice metal tones for a cheap modelling amp- granted, it's a fair bit more money. The roland microcube is a similar price to the one you listed but it's pretty small and has a small speaker (though sounds pretty good for what it is). Or there's the cube 10x but the smaller cubes (i've only tried the older ones) aren't always that great. or the vox mini 3 or mini 5 (but a similar warning to the microcube).

I haven't tried the Mustang but if you can't stretch to those others (and the mini/micro ones are just too small) I would actually imagine you could do a lot worse than the Mustang.

Do you need the carrying case? Fair enough if you're taking it to practices at school or something like that (though a gigbag might do and save some money), but if you don't need it it's extra money that'd be better to put into a better guitar really. I mean, the Yamaha Pacifica 112J is only ~40 Euros more. Ditch the metal distortion pedal (~30 Euros) and you're almost there already. Save a bit on the case and you're almost up to the 112V models (another ~40 Euros more), though granted if you actually genuinely need a case to protect the thing, doing without one is a false economy and not a good idea.

No worries if you're miles away from a shop and can't try the stuff easily.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 9, 2016,
But is (sound, build quality etc) the yamaha really better? Because the cort looks better and it has 2 hi gain humbuckers. And if yes what is the difference between 112j 112v 112vm (and i dont mean the colours) ?
Hey guys im ready to buy this set (Took a pic of it)
Any suggestions?
And will er there a cable with the amp or guitar?
^ I haven't tried that exact guitar but I'm always very wary of guitars with cheap floyd rose trems. you really need to buy one with a good floyd (which is a lot more money).

Also you'll have to buy a cable separately.

Quote by m0n74g3
But is (sound, build quality etc) the yamaha really better? Because the cort looks better and it has 2 hi gain humbuckers. And if yes what is the difference between 112j 112v 112vm (and i dont mean the colours) ?

i'd have thought the yamaha was at least as good as the one you're looking at, but I could be wrong (i haven't tried the cort).

if you think you need the two humbuckers the pacifica 120H is the same guitar (far as I'm aware, anyway) with two humbuckers rather than the humbucker and two single coils setup.

the 112J is the older model. It doesn't have the coil split on the bridge pickup, and I don't think the pickups are alnico (so probably not quite as good). and the humbucker is scratchplate-mounted rather than mounted in a ring (they claim the latter improves tone to make it sound more like a humbucker guitar but honestly I doubt it makes much if any difference- it's basically cosmetic).

the 112v is the newer model with the coil split, alnico pickups and doesn't have the humbucker mounted in the scratchplate, which makes it look more like the higher-end pacificas.

the 112vm is the same as the 112v except with a maple, rather than rosewood, fretboard. Neither is better, it just depends on which you prefer the feel and (possibly) sound of.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 10, 2016,
Hi guys i came to an choice between Jackson js22 Dinky and the Cort x-2 wich is the better one (the are both 190 euro) ?