Hey all.

Can someone explain what is going on at the 2:46 mark in this song?

And the 2:24 mark in this version?

I'm kind of looking for an answer beyond "just strum fast" and if anyone can discern what the rhythm is (in terms of counting so I can practice and get to speed).

Thanks guys
A verbal explanation isn't going to help you - use your ears and try to tap the rythm with your hands first. I would suggest slowing down the audio with software if you can't make out the rythm . Honestly, it's pretty sloppy tremolo strumming in the second video so it will be difficult to nail down exactly.

If you want an exercise to help you get there, set a metronome to 90 bpm and pick one chord :

1) strum that chord in quarter notes for 4 bars
2) strum the chord in eight notes for 4 bars
3) strum the chord in Triplets for 4 bars
4) strum the chord in 16th notes

Repeat and bring up the bpm as you get better - the point is to get used to switching from one rythm to the other over the same beat.
Thanks, man.

So tremolo strumming. I will look into that. I practice with a metronome all the time and can play all four you mentioned. I just couldn't figure this pattern out. I'll try downloading the video and slowing it down.

Is that style of strumming the same as Dick Dale/surf style? I'm just trying to figure out what lessons on youtube to look into.
gmascis Dick Dale basically plays everything tremolo style - so that's a great example. Also check out the Stevie Ray Vaughan song " Dirty Pool" for a crazy example. When trying to strum that fast, the pick angle is super important - it can't be parallel, it needs to come in at an angle, otherwise you'll trip up.
Quote by reverb66
gmascis Dick Dale basically plays everything tremolo style - so that's a great example. Also check out the Stevie Ray Vaughan song " Dirty Pool" for a crazy example. When trying to strum that fast, the pick angle is super important - it can't be parallel, it needs to come in at an angle, otherwise you'll trip up.

Great, thanks, I'll try this all during my practice session later today.

And I take it a light pick is preferred? Is it possible to tremolo pick fast with a heavy pick? I usually use a 1.14mm for lead but might go down to a .60 or .73 for this technique, at least when learning.
Last edited by gmascis at Nov 9, 2016,
Always use a hard pick - they have better tone and you'll have more control in the long run.