I am going to get my first proper amp and i decided to get the Blackstar's HT Metal amp. The head and the combo costs the same but i am not sure which one to get. So i have two questions.

1. The head has 7 valves while combo has 4, how much difference would that make?
2. If the difference is too big i will get the head but for cabin i will need to spend more money than combo obviously. Would Blackstar's 2x12 HT Venue 212 cabin get a good sound? There is also HT Metal 408 4x8 cabin for about the same price.

Where i live there isn't much variety avaible so please keep that in mind if you are going to suggest another cabin.
Quote by cancoskun98ro
I am going to get my first proper amp and i decided to get the Blackstar's HT Metal amp. The head and the combo costs the same but i am not sure which one to get. So i have two questions.

1. The head has 7 valves while combo has 4, how much difference would that make?

You cannot accurately quantify how big a difference it'll make just by knowing the number of valves the amp has. But if any of Blackstar's other HT amps are any indication, the fewer number of valves in the HT60 may well be replaced with opamps used in the effects loop, the phase inverter and the gain stages of the preamp. Seems very likely that there are opamps in the preamp as there's no way this amp could deliver the levels of gain it does with only 2 12AX7 valves. At least the amp has 2 6L6's in the power section I guess. But suffice to say that the HT60 metal is most definitely a hybrid.

2. If the difference is too big i will get the head but for cabin i will need to spend more money than combo obviously. Would Blackstar's 2x12 HT Venue 212 cabin get a good sound? There is also HT Metal 408 4x8 cabin for about the same price.

Both of those cabinets are kinda meh. The 212 says it has Celestion speakers in it but doesn't state which ones. As a general rule, if a cab is advertised as having Celestions, but doesn't state which ones, you can assume that they're the Seventy 80 speakers, which suck. They're Celestions in name only. You really want Vintage 30's.

I'd skip the 4x8 as well. Stick to cabinets with 12" speakers.

Get one of these. They're actually cheaper than the Blackstar cabs you've listed, but the speakers in them are V30's and they're half decently constructed overall.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
T00DEEPBLUE Unfortunately i don't really get high variety of cabs in where i am from and i can't order abroad because of the customs laws of my country. If i push my budget i could get the Blackstar HT Metal 412A or Mesa Boogie 1x12 Lonestar 23. But other than these not much is avaible to me.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Both of those cabinets are kinda meh. The 212 says it has Celestion speakers in it but doesn't state which ones. As a general rule, if a cab is advertised as having Celestions, but doesn't state which ones, you can assume that they're the Seventy 80 speakers, which suck. They're Celestions in name only. You really want Vintage 30's.

I'd skip the 4x8 as well. Stick to cabinets with 12" speakers.

Get one of these. They're actually cheaper than the Blackstar cabs you've listed, but the speakers in them are V30's and they're half decently constructed overall.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

The HT-212 is indeed seventy 80 loaded. Not sure about the HT60 but my HT20 combo had a Celestion Rocket 50 (also a junk speaker)
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^ i haven't tried it but the word on the net is that the rocket is even worse!

but yeah t00deepblue is bang on- the ht series is well-known (well, well-known in the geekier sections of the guitar-fancying internet) as being hybrid, and while you can't make blanket statement as they're usually overgeneralisations, in the HT series' case there's a fair chance, as he said, that the fewer preamp valves you have, the more solid state shenanigans are going on (i.e. op-amps or transistors doing what valves should be doing in a genuinely "all-valve" amp). The ht100 may well have some solid state stuff going on too, but probably not just as much.

whether than matters to you depends on whether you don't like being lied to, or whether you don't care as long as it sounds good. If you have few other options because of your country's laws, not buying it if it's the best amp available (I don't know, I haven't tried it) may well be biting off your nose to spite your face, unfortunately.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Thanks for all the replies, i am really ignorant in these things. I looked around a bit more and found these two marshall cab's apparently in a huge discount. Reviews say they are okay for their price. My main goal is to get a decent sound from the cabinets, i can upgrade them later on.

Marshall MG4 Series MG412

Marshall MG Series MG412CF
Avoid MG cabinets.

Unless upgrading MDF sounds good to you
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
yeah. those blackstar cabs are probably decent cabs with mediocre speakers. whereas the mg cabs are crappy cabs with crappy speakers.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

^ he said there's a very poor local availability, and he can't order in from abroad.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Well i found a bit more, how about these? I also ordered the amp head and will try out some cabins on a local store.

Ibanez TSA112C

Ibanez IS412CS

Marshall MC212 130W

MARSHALL MA412 B
are those your only options? none of those is particularly great, i don't think...
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

i would wait it out.

can you order from thomann?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/