2 8%
10 year driving ban
0 0%
Lifetime driving ban
2 8%
Prison (any length)
1 4%
Voters: 25.
In 2015 I was riding my motorbike when I stopped at a roundabout to let the vehicle that had right of way, past. Suddenly, I was laying face up on the floor in agony. The driver behind me failed to stop because they didn't see me and they carried on down the road before stopping. They didn't get out of the car to check on me, instead, according to a witness, they were doing something with their phone in a panic.

According to at least two other witnesses, one being a cyclist, said the driver was on their phone prior to colliding with me. I do not know how they could have seen, but they claim the driver was using the phone.

I stood up and an old man was crying into a phone, calling an ambulance. Apparently I had not moved for ages and was not responding to people for two minutes at least. The old man thought I was dead.

Police and an ambulance arrive on scene and I am in pain. At the hospital the X-Rays showed two facet joint fractures in my neck and one in my lower spine but I was fine otherwise.

The police, despite everything did not prosecute. They said there was insufficient evidence to proceed. It took 1 year to reach that conclusion. No fine, no punishment, nothing. The driver did admit fault and the insurance company paid out completely, but the driver did not admit to using the phone and said that they took out their phone after the crash to call their dad.

This smelt like the biggest pile of bullshit ever. Really, the driver was trying to call their dad, and not an ambulance or the emergency services. They were deleting texts or call history. Guaran-fucking-tee they were deleting evidence. I am livid that this person could have killed me and denies using their god damn phone. And I am even more pissed of with how the police couldn't give a fuck at the scene. Even the investigating officer, who I pestered admittedly to try and bring charges, couldnt really be bothered.

I have ridden since but not often, I am still too scared to properly ride, but thats my issue that I need to work on.

I really think that people who text and drive should have at least a 5 year driving ban and forced to re-take an extended, more difficult test before they are allowed to drive again.

(Before people ask, I have a Triumph street triple. It is sex on wheels. Its fucking awesome).
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Last edited by Guitardude19 at Nov 8, 2016,
You left the 'put in a cage with a sex-starved gorilla' off the poll.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
The stupidity of texting while driving is astonishing.

"Look at me, controlling a literal ton of metal going at a speed that can most definitely kill people. Oh wait, I'll do it without looking where I'm going. That's probably fun!"

And there are those geniuses who think "Oh yeah, sure, it's stupid, but nothing's gonna go wrong if I do it just for a few seconds here and there."
kitty on my foot and I wanna touch it
meow meow meow meow meow meow
I do it all the time.
Ive only almost wrecked like 10 times at the most.

On the other hand, I've almost wrecked while not texting way more, so clearly my texting and driving saves lives.

Youre welcome
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Nov 8, 2016,
Prison (8 inches) for StewieSwan
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by Guitardude19
This smelt like the biggest pile of bullshit ever. Really, the driver was trying to call their dad, and not an ambulance or the emergency services. They were deleting texts or call history. Guaran-fucking-tee they were deleting evidence. I am livid that this person could have killed me and denies using their god damn phone. And I am even more pissed of with how the police couldn't give a fuck at the scene. Even the investigating officer, who I pestered admittedly to try and bring charges, couldnt really be bothered.

Even if they deleted the call history from their phone their service provider would still have records of the calls and could then be matched with the ambulance call to determine if there was any activity before the accident. Tracing texts is a bit more difficult but still very much a possibility if the physical device is present. Especially if you're dealing with an android phone. It really doesn't seem all that unlikely that they would call someone they trusted to find out what to do after hitting someone. Honestly, based on what you told us I wouldn't jump to conclusions here.

Still, texting while driving is dumb and dangerous. I've done it a couple times while stopped in traffic or at a red and even then I feel really terrible for it.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Victory2134

Still, texting while driving is dumb and dangerous. I've done it a couple times while stopped in traffic or at a red and even then I feel really terrible for it.

I hate to admit it but I have used my phone when driving. On long journeys where I don't know the route I have my phone attached to my dashboard with the sat nav up, and have used it to 1. Send a text saying "Yes" 2. Make a phone call, and 3. Answer a phone call. In my situation I've only used it when going at less than 10 miles an hour in traffic down a straight road. I feel really bad about it but it was an absolute necessity at the time.

Either way I don't think there can be a blanket punishment over it. If you're playing Candy Crush going 70 down a motorway that's fucking stupid. If you're stopped in traffic and click on your phone to answer a call it's an entirely different situation and need different punishments.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car

bring back UG classic
Texting while driving is dumb as fuck I agree. If you need to talk to someone just use Bluetooth and go hands-free. The most idiotic thing you can do on the road is social media while driving, I wonder how many acccidents per year are caused by teenagers using twitter while cruising on the road. I think banning someone for a month is a good start if they hurt somebody else, but IMO a hefty fine works best.
Quote by Pizzafan
k.lainad Im going to use twine, tie a broom handle to a pizza, put guitar string on it, and make love to your mom with a pizztar

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Texting and driving is stupid. But driving and changing songs in radio/spotify/etc is a little bit dangerous too (which I do). I only change songs when stopped on a red light, but yeah I have to look down to my phone and unlock it/change songs/etc. At some point it is very similar/the same as texting.
It depends on the situation if one is pulled over due to law enforcement seeing them texting the a hefty fine should be given, if one causes an accident then some jail time should be in order if the accident causes serious injury or death then they should be banned from driving for life and chargec with manuslaughter or attempted manslughter.

There is no excuse for it I see people texting or at least looking at their phone while driving every single day, cops have even been trained to look for signs of it, slow driving and weaving back and forth or the face illumination if it is at night, as stated before ersaing your phone history will help nothing.

There was an accident with fatality near my home earlier this year when a 19 year old girl struck a pedestrian while she was texting, police verified that she was texting at the time of the accident it would be nice to know the extent of her punishment.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

idk about you but I took the Oprah No Texting Pledge in 2008
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
We have a points system whereby if you get 12 points on your license, you lose it.

Give em six points. One more even minor fuckup and they're toast.
Ranch It Up ///////// 'Sup Mello?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Either way I don't think there can be a blanket punishment over it. If you're playing Candy Crush going 70 down a motorway that's fucking stupid. If you're stopped in traffic and click on your phone to answer a call it's an entirely different situation and need different punishments.

Yeah, possible punishments (or even if there should be a punishment at all) change too much in these scenarios:
- You are going fast (>40km)
- You are going slow (>10km; <40km)
- You are going very slow (<10km)
- You are stationary
- You are sending a text / reading texts
- You are holding your phone on your hand and talking on it
- You reach to the phone only to answer a call and put it on speaker
- You reach to the phone to change a song (if you are playing music on it)
- You reach to the phone just to unlock it and read a notification or something fast to read.
- Combination of the above
I only do it if I am stationary at traffic lights or something. Otherwise yes I agree it's retarded.

In your example I find it a bit hard to believe that if 3 witnesses saw the guy using his phone that they couldn't do anything.

Either way, if the guy was using his phone and hit you as a result it's a pretty safe bet that he won't do it again.

Without knowing what the law is on this, I would say a 2 year driving suspension would be reasonable.
i don't text and drive and it's pretty easy.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by JustRooster
ITT: Jobless virgins without cars parade their objective morality.
Hey I am only one of those and my manager is sick so our research project is on standby

also something about morals idk
Ranch It Up ///////// 'Sup Mello?
Great! Another punishment that makes the world suck. Try forgiveness. Or thank them. After all 6 billion people have to volunteer to leave the planet.
The only time I look at my phone is when there are no cars around me. Not an excuse for anything justifiable, but it's the truth and a much safer thing to do than all these idiots I see swerving around on the highway. I rarely drive though, my SO does most of it.

The one time I've wrecked (not not my fault), and the few times I've almost wrecked had nothing to do with my phone, although I've had people swerve and miss me because they were on their goddamn phone

Awhile back I was completely stopped (left blinker on) on a two way street trying to pull into a snow cone place. After a few moments waiting on traffic, I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed a car coming up on me very fast, and the woman was on her phone. She slammed on her breaks, missed me, and the car behind her slammed into her.

I drove off and got me a goddamn snow cone.