Page 1 of 3
Hi, I'm building myself the ultimate metal Strat. It's going to be a one piece mohagany 70s hardtail Strat with a 30 fret maple set neck, ebony fretboard with stainless steel jumbo frets. HH pickup configuration with cavity at the back ( no pickguard). I'll be going with a Seymour Duncan Blackout/EMG 81 ( see specs) in the bridge and something cleaner sounding in the middle and neck. Gotoh bridge and tuners.

I'll probably be going with a colored stain finish to show off the one piece mohagany with black hardware. Not sure what pattern of pearl inlay yet.

I'm calling it the Nordstrom Veracity and if it turns out killer and somebody offers to buy it from me I'll sell it and use the money to make two more of them, and if they sell I'll make four of them, and so on. The guitar will cost around 1000$ in material to build and I'm not even sure how many hours. I'd probably sell them for 1500-1800$. It will be the only one piece mohagany Strat body on the market, and one of only two 30 fret necks.

Fender makes a two piece mohagany Strat that retails for around 2500$ and it's built with their in house hardware which isn't the greatest. No SD/EMG pickup, no Gotoh bridge and tuners. No set-neck,and certainly nothing even close to a 30 frets. They don't offer jumbo frets or stainless steel ones either. The point I'm making is that you can't even begin to compare the mohagany Strats to what I'm building.

This thing is going to sustain like crazy. I can't think of anything else I could do to make it better suited to metal. Maybe make it a 7 string?

As far as I'm concerned what I'm building is the ultimate metal Strat. I'm building it for myself but I know people are going to want to buy it from me and that's the only reason I'm planning on making more, but if nobody offers to buy it than I won't be making anymore and I'll happily just keep it.

Now I'm just wondering if you guys have any suggestions for me. Any feedback at all will be much appreciated.

I just want to be clear that I'm not advertising anything because I'm not selling anything. I'm building myself a guitar and after somebody offers to buy it from me ( which I know is going to happen) I'm going to use that money to make 2-3 more.

I'm guessing a guitar with specs like this ( if you can even find one) built to my quality standards would retail for somewhere around 3-5k, and if I do decide to sell them they'll be going for 1800$, which leaves me with about 800$ for a week's worth of work, so I'm definitely not a profiteer.

I like the idea of creating a piece of functional art that people will keep around for decades. That's probably the coolest aspect of guitar building.

BODY:

Made in America to exact Fender specifications.

Style: 70s Strat

Wood: 1 piece Honduran Mohagany

Control cavity: Back

Pickup configuration : HH

NECK:

Nut: Locking

Type: Set-neck

Neck: Maple

Fretboard: Ebony

Scale: 28"

Frets: Stainless steel jumbo

PICKUPS:

Bridge: Seymour Duncan Blackouts ( Will experiment with EMG 81 as well as Dimarzio Dactivators)

Middle:

Neck:

( I'm not sure what pickups I'll be using in middle and neck position but it will be something much cleaner sounding than the Invader)

TUNERS:

Gotoh

Finish and pearl inlay pattern undetermined at this point however the body will most likely be finished with some kind of red or blue wood stain to show off the one piece mohagany.
Last edited by NorthstrumGuita at Nov 8, 2016,
1) If you're making something unusual, why use a mainstream passive pickup? Why not something more exotic or even EMGs?

2) Floyd Rose? Kahler? Hardtail?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
dannyalcatraz

That's a good question. Maybe I should look into that.

Seymour Duncan Invaders have good name recognition for one, but people are also after that specific tone.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
If you're making something unusual, why use a mainstream pickup?
Not to mention one that's not particularly good...Invader + mahogany on what looks like will be a baritone scale lentght is just going to be mud tonally. I think dannyalcatraz may be on to something with the EMGs, they definitely feel like a better fit.

Also did I read that right as HHS? Is that a typo because otherwise I honestly don't see any practical use for a humbucker in the middle position.

As far as the body is concerned I'm afraid it sounds kinda boring, at least if it's going to have a transparent or natural finish. I think two piece bookmatched bodies look nicer, and even then I think there's a strong case for a maple top.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Duncan Invaders are terrible. I have no idea why people like them.
Quote by NorthstrumGuita
dannyalcatraz Seymour Duncan Invaders have good name recognition for one, but people are also after that specific tone.
Meh. Nobody likes muddy guitar tones so I think you'll have a hard time convincing people that's what they really want.

Why not wind your own pickups? It is a custom guitar after all.

A mahogany body and a maple neck? There are millions of guitars built like that. Why not do something more visually interesting?
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
I think I'd be pretty much disinterested.

I don't care for duncan Invaders at all.
I see no point in an HHS configuration.
I'm not particularly interested in a '70's strat body.
Not particularly interested in the wood choices. Been there, got that. In stacks.
30 frets doesn't do much for me, particularly since I have large hands. I don't see much of a point.
Quote by NorthstrumGuita

Seymour Duncan Invaders have good name recognition for one, but people are also after that specific tone.

Yes & no. I'll agree that the SD Invader is a known quantity, kind of like the JB/59 combination. The problem is that won't help your product stand out.

Going with a more exotic "metal" pickup or EMGs would potentially be a selling point. Kind of like how Hell Guitars use Bareknuckles, or some other brands I know only used Kent Armstongs or Lollars or Rio Grandes, etc.

For example, you could use Lace signature series HBs for the bridge pickup. All of their signature series HBs are connected to metal guitarists: Brent Hinds, Bill Kelliher and Matt Pike. Paired with singlecoils- chosen to match with a little help from Lace- you could have 3 basic variations in the product. 4 if you used their Alumitone Deathbucker/Alumitone combo.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
dannyalcatraz

I definitely wouldn't want anything passive for this build and I think Invaders sound better than 81s and they cost more too, so they aren't really a low end pickup.

I also updated my post with more info.
steven seagull

From what I understand the mohagany Strats still kinda sound bright and Straty, nothing like an SG like you'd expect, so the maple top might take it sound too bright.

I was considering using an EMG 81 in the bridge, but ultimately decided that I'll probably have to experiment to get the best results, and that's what I'll be doing. Might even go with Dimarzio Dactivators.

Quote by NorthstrumGuita
dannyalcatraz

I definitely wouldn't want anything passive for this build and I think Invaders sound better than 81s and they cost more too, so they aren't really a low end pickup.

Invaders are passive.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickups/guitars/humbucker?meta_params=output=Active&solo=1&post_t=product-pickups&taxonomy_slug=humbucker&taxonomy=pickup-types&order_by=

List of SD actives for reference
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Nov 8, 2016,
NorthstrumGuita. Didn't say they were low-end. Also, I'm thinking Invaders ARE passive. Could be wrong, though.

Edit: ninja'd.

alhaq369
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Duncan Invaders are terrible. I have no idea why people like them.
Meh.

Not that I am a fan of invaders but...

... instead of lamenting on how terrible they are, as a newly elected MOD shouldn't you be moving this thread or at least advising the OP that this thread belongs in the Guitar Building and Customizing forum?
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Nov 8, 2016,
OOTCH- you're right!

alhaq369
Thread was moved to forum: Gear Building & Customizing

alhaq369
T00DEEPBLUE

I'm after a dark heavy thick tone. The ebony fretboard should brighten up the tone quite a bit, same with the stainless steel frets. You'd also think that a mohagany Strat would sound like an SG right? Well apparently it still sounds bright and Straty, so I'm trying to counteract the brightness.

I already know that I'll have to experiment with pickups to get the best results and that's what I'll be doing. Might even go with Dimarzio Dactivators.

I'll try out an EMG 81, Dimarzio Dactivators, Invaders, Dimebuckers, and whatever else I have laying around.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
OOTCH- you're right!

Beagles
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

dspellman

Well it's for metal. 30 frets gives you an extra pentatonic scale. The extra frets are playable.

I'm going for a metal Strat. Basically it'd be for somebody who likes a Strat and wants a darker tone. You can't really buy a Mohagany Strat, they're uncommon. You have to remember that the functionality of the guitar is metal.
Quote by Evilnine
Beagles

Beagle for GWAR (or other metal):

alhaq369
dannyalcatraz

I was already thinking of EMGs and thought that Invaders were more exotic than 81s.

81s sound the same in everything, not quite, but they're everywhere. The thing is, the Strat shape with the ebony fretboard and stainless steel jumbo frets are going to brighten up the sound, so I was thinking that the Invaders would sound a brighter because of that.

I'm thinking I'm just going to experience.

Dimarzio Dactivators

SD Dimebucker

EMG 81

SD Invaders

Ill just have to experiment.

Edit:

Was thinking of SD Blackouts. Not Invaders.
Last edited by NorthstrumGuita at Nov 8, 2016,
Quote by NorthstrumGuita
dspellman

Well it's for metal. 30 frets gives you an extra pentatonic scale. The extra frets are playable.

I'm going for a metal Strat. Basically it'd be for somebody who likes a Strat and wants a darker tone. You can't really buy a Mohagany Strat, they're uncommon. You have to remember that the functionality of the guitar is metal.

I do believe that what you are building would be called a "Superstrat" Tons of them out there in various configurations but if that is what you desire then go for it, good luck with those upper frets tho unless you have some skinny fingers and an extreme lower cutout, I played a couple of 27 fretters and the upper frets were almost unplayable.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by NorthstrumGuita
dannyalcatraz

I was already thinking of EMGs and thought that Invaders were more exotic than 81s.

81s sound the same in everything, not quite, but they're everywhere. The thing is, the Strat shape with the ebony fretboard and stainless steel jumbo frets are going to brighten up the sound, so I was thinking that the Invaders would sound a brighter because of that.

I'm thinking I'm just going to experience.

Dimarzio Dactivators

SD Dimebucker

EMG 81

SD Invaders

Ill just have to experiment.

Edit:

Was thinking of SD Blackouts. Not Invaders.

I think you need to get out more. There are a LOT of other kinds of pickups beyond the usual production dreck you've mentioned.
Quote by NorthstrumGuita
NorthstrumGuitaEvilnine

Check out the Ibanez thirty fret, that's where I got the idea.

well that would scupper your plan for HHS as you only have room for a bridge and middle pickup :/
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

dspellman

People usually swap them out for whatever they prefer though. To be honest, to increase mass appeal I'd be better off throwing in some EMGs.
steven seagull

I think I could still fit a SC in there, if not hide it in the nick itself. I'm not sure. HHS may be more work than it's worth.

HH might be a better choice.
Quote by NorthstrumGuita
dspellman

I have several mahogany bodied neck-through strats (Carvins) and a couple of mahogany-bodied super strats (Variax JTV 89F), all with 24 frets. Honestly, there isn't a "darker tone" there. I don't think there's been a tangible demand for those six extra half-steps. I get your metal intentions, but I'm unconvinced that you get "more metal" with any of the bits and pieces you're adding.

If you're looking for "darker tone," adding more frets at the squeaky end of things doesn't do it. Mahogany (sorry if this is breaking news) doesn't make the guitar darker. I have so many mahogany guitars that trust me, I know this.

Adding a powered subwoofer setup to your amplifier will do it, though. Money better spent. Look at the ISP Technologies Vector SL for the best way to do this.
Quote by NorthstrumGuita
NorthstrumGuitaEvilnine

Check out the Ibanez thirty fret, that's where I got the idea.

Yeah I have seen them in fact one of the 27 fret models I played was an Ibanez, Washburn used to make EC29 and EC36 fret guitars in 1988/89 but just because they could squeeze 36 frets on a neck doesn't mean that anyone besides an extra terrestrial could actually play it and that is even with the Steven's Extended Cutaway which offers more upper fret access than any other neck joint.

I'd be intersted to know the stats on the production/sales quantities for the Washburn 29/36 fret guitars.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by NorthstrumGuita
dspellman

People usually swap them out for whatever they prefer though. To be honest, to increase mass appeal I'd be better off throwing in some EMGs.

Yup, if you want to emulate dime-a-dozen production guitars.
Quote by NorthstrumGuita
dspellman

To be honest in my experience most of the professional guitarists I've ever met can't be arsed with aftermarket pickups, they just buy a guitar that sounds good. The hard-on for changing pickups seems to be at either end of the scale, from amateur guitar "nerds" at one end to obsessive players and tonechasers at the other. The majority of the working pros in the middle just want to buy something and be done with it.

I think I could still fit a SC in there, if not hide it in the nick itself. I'm not sure. HHS may be more work than it's worth.

HH might be a better choice.

I doubt a full sized humbucker would fit, but even then you have the tonal problem of a middle humbucker that's of limited scope. Making the fretboard longer doesn't change that pickup's position relative to the scale length - it's still a "middle" pickup even if it's physically by the fretboard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by NorthstrumGuita
dspellman

Well it's for metal. 30 frets gives you an extra pentatonic scale. The extra frets are playable

Nipples on male pectorals are, in theory, usable. But the instances of actual use are rare.
Quote by NorthstrumGuita
steven seagull

Will probably just go HH now that I think about it.

But for what reason? The only guitars I know with a middle humbucker are the old Les Paul Customs which ditched it because nobody wanted it, Nigel Tufnell's comedy guitar which has 4 humbuckers and Ace Frehley's Les Paul which wasn't even a real pickup, just a dummy bobbin where he stashed his smoke bombs.

Tonally it's just a bust - I honestly don't think there's enough market for it, a single is going to be much more versatile.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

steven seagull

Roger Hodgson (ex-Supertramp) had a HB in the centre position of one of his Stratocasters. Ry Cooder has been pictured with a guitar in which a centrally mounted HB is the only pickup. Pete Townshend added full sized HBs in the middle position of several Gibson LP Deluxe guitars.

It has a use. Looks better and adds more versatility than a single bridge EMG.
Quote by NorthstrumGuita
T00DEEPBLUE

I'm after a dark heavy thick tone. The ebony fretboard should brighten up the tone quite a bit, same with the stainless steel frets. You'd also think that a mohagany Strat would sound like an SG right? Well apparently it still sounds bright and Straty, so I'm trying to counteract the brightness.

I already know that I'll have to experiment with pickups to get the best results and that's what I'll be doing. Might even go with Dimarzio Dactivators.

I'll try out an EMG 81, Dimarzio Dactivators, Invaders, Dimebuckers, and whatever else I have laying around.

Fretboard wood probably has the absolute least affect on tone out of the entire guitar. You arnt going to hear a difference in brightness from an ebony fretboard.
Quote by NorthstrumGuita
steven seagull

Roger Hodgson (ex-Supertramp) had a HB in the centre position of one of his Stratocasters. Ry Cooder has been pictured with a guitar in which a centrally mounted HB is the only pickup. Pete Townshend added full sized HBs in the middle position of several Gibson LP Deluxe guitars.

It has a use. Looks better and adds more versatility than a single bridge EMG.
And yet you're saying the guitar you're building is for metal. You're swinging 0 for 3 metal artists there.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
ExplorerbuilderSome people would argue that an ebony fretboard brightens up the tone and that the wood in the neck accounts for tone more so than even the body.
Page 1 of 3