So I have picked up guitar about 4 months ago and I have taught myself ... only some basic songs.

I don't know any guitar theory or how to play with sheet music (I can read it). I still have trouble with tabs and I only know 1 song fully (Heart Shaped Box) and the most complex thing I have learned (if you can call it complex), is the Higher Ground intro. I do play clarinet so I know some music theory, but I hardly practice which means I don't remember a lot of it. I can't solo because I don't know any scales and I have trouble with chords and after a while I get bored trying to practice them and switch to a song, sometimes even putting the guitar down all together. At times I feel like quitting but I really want to play guitar.

All in all I don't know where to start and I joined this community so I could get some guidance on the subject so I can keep playing guitar.

Thanks for the advice in advance!
Last edited by DrumL355 at Nov 9, 2016,
The first months are probably the toughest.
Guitar will require patience and practice, you get what you give.

Learning songs that you like is probably one of the best way to practice the guitar, if you get bored of practice "homework style".
You probably have a lot of resources here in the forum if you look around; https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/ , but don't overwhelm yourself, you don't need to learn every single chord in a day.

But if i was in your spot, i would probably try to understand the basic chords.
C, D, E, F, ....etc. Both Major and Minor. And use songs as a method to practice them.
Well you don't need to know theory to play a solo, if you hear a solo that you like. Just learn it! Of course if you want to improv over a backing track, you will need some basic grounds to work upon.

Mechanical wise, i'v always found Ben's lesson, pretty insightful. But i dunno, if you would feel a bit bewildered due to the fact that you mechanical skill its probably still green, if you want to check it out https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/contribution/4380964-BenEllerGuitars/lessons.

I am pretty sure someone else will have a better answer for you :p
Regardless good luck man.
Last edited by renatofrmsantos at Nov 9, 2016,
This are lessons for beginners! I was study here:
ELECTED MOD SAYS NO
Try it