Hey everyone, my first post here on ultimate-guitar.com :-) I might be stupid to ask this now, that i've already made my purchase, haha... But just out of interest i have two questions: Which headphones do you prefer for listening to your own guitar playing through an amp and why? Do you prefer open back or closed back, why ?

I just recently ordered the Mustang III v2 Amplifier and the Sennheiser HD 598 SE headphones. Please let me know some of your experiences with these products if you have any, i hope i made some good choises :-)
The HD598 SE is really nice. I think it's unbeatable at its price if it offers what you're looking for, which is a balanced, open headphone with a nice soundstage.
Mayones Regius
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler
Quote by I K0nijn I
The HD598 SE is really nice. I think it's unbeatable at its price if it offers what you're looking for, which is a balanced, open headphone with a nice soundstage.
Whats you're opinion on closed back headphones? I was really torn between the ath-m50x and hd 598.

The idea of complete silence and isolation, being able to only hear your guitar playing, intrigued and still intrigues so much. People said it's really good. On the other hand people also complimented HD 598, for sounding more natural, because of the open back approach. Finally i decided on the 598's the highly appraised comfort and natural sound. I hope i wont regret not going for the close backed choise.
I like to listen to my guitar through my v moda m 100's. They seem to color the tone and add that nice extra bass for metal riffs, while still remaining clear sounding. Also they seem to tone down the shrill high notes nicely.
Quote by I K0nijn I
Add: I was especially concerned that the ath-m50x sound isolation would result as a too "studioish" cold, or electronic sound and feel, risking the actual enjoyment of guitar playing. This is propably bullshit but i definitely thought about it.
I'm going to offer what will be a dissenting opinion on this. On the recommendation of my tech mates at the music shop, I went with lo-fi headphones to get closer to the amp's speaker sound. This amp-headphone-out is quite a different situation from using headphones for listening to recorded music or in the studio. I chose Ashton electric drum headphones, they work fine.
Last edited by Tony Done at Nov 9, 2016,
Tony Donesomewhere i heard that a modelling amp such as mustang III would benefit from hi-fi headphones, not completely sure though...
My opinion is based on some empirical tests my mates did with a modelling amp and some headphones. I don't know which amp they were trying it with though.

If the headphone amp has a speaker emulator in the headphone circuit, then hi-fi 'phones should be the answer, but if there isn't a dedicated speaker emulator in the circuit, then my solution might be better.