I'm searching for multieffects unit that has wah pedal, aux in, at least 3 presets per bank available by pressing on seperate switches. I play in a garage cover band. We play different styles including classic rock, hard rock, blues rock etc... So I did a research and found two models that fit well: Fender Mustang Floor and Digitech RP500. I tried RP500. It has a lot of different functions and effects but sounds kind of plastic (I don't know how to describe it in other way). I tried it through earphones but never had a chance to try it through the real amp. I never tried Fender Mustang Floor. Reviews are good for both units but I would like to hear first hand experience from you guys who tried at least one of those. What are the cons and pros for one and the other? Which one do you like more and why? Thanks in advance!
No experience with the Mustang Floor unit, had an RP-155 (younger sibling to the 500) and I would not really recommend the RP series for anything other than bedroom practice. Look into the Zoom G3X or if you are able to push your budget a bit, a USED PODHD500. Generally speaking, though, running distortion (or especially amp modeling) through a physical guitar amp does not lead to good tones.
Quote by monwobobbo
why not run a wah in front of the amp?

I don't have an amp at home so the multieffects unit would be nice for practicing. PC is not an option. Wah is important but I need other effects also, like delay, reverb, flanger, etc...
Quote by zozo77
I don't have an amp at home so the multieffects unit would be nice for practicing. PC is not an option. Wah is important but I need other effects also, like delay, reverb, flanger, etc...

ok but many multi-fx units tend to have iffy wahs so keep that in mind
Quote by monwobobbo
ok but many multi-fx units tend to have iffy wahs so keep that in mind

That's one of the reasons why I started this thread - to here some first hand experience. I've read somewhere that RP500 has great wah but I'm not sure about Fender Mustang Floor.
Quote by zozo77
That's one of the reasons why I started this thread - to here some first hand experience. I've read somewhere that RP500 has great wah but I'm not sure about Fender Mustang Floor.
If you are in the realm of relatively lower-budget multi-effects, it is not like you are going to get top-quality effects at a somehow silly cheap price- so worrying too much about it is maybe a little unproductive IMO. The RP500 is $199 USD I think, so to put it in perspective some individual Wah pedals cost more than that. I suggested the Zoom G3(X) because I have experience with it and I think it is one of the best multi-effects at its price point (~$200 USD). The "Wah effect" itself is just a filter which is not really that hard to do, but as monwobobbo they can be "iffy" depending upon the unit. Either way, any of the units mentioned will get you a usable Wah effect.

The prices for the Mustang Floor are around $500 USD which seems like a silly high price, maybe because they are discontinued and people think they can charge a lot of money for it. At that price, just get a POD HD500 as I mentioned earlier which is ~$300 USD used which is arguably the best multi-effects unit at its price point (either used or new).
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 11, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
If you are in the realm of relatively lower-budget multi-effects, it is not like you are going to get top-quality effects at a somehow silly cheap price- so worrying too much about it is maybe a little unproductive IMO. The RP500 is $199 USD I think, so to put it in perspective some individual Wah pedals cost more than that. I suggested the Zoom G3(X) because I have experience with it and I think it is one of the best multi-effects at its price point (~$200 USD). The "Wah effect" itself is just a filter which is not really that hard to do, but as monwobobbo they can be "iffy" depending upon the unit. Either way, any of the units mentioned will get you a usable Wah effect.

The prices for the Mustang Floor are around $500 USD which seems like a silly high price, maybe because they are discontinued and people think they can charge a lot of money for it. At that price, just get a POD HD500 as I mentioned earlier which is ~$300 USD used which is arguably the best multi-effects unit at its price point (either used or new).

I can get Fender Mustang Floor for 220$, and RP500 for 170$. G3X is around 250$ here in Croatia, same as G5, but it doesn't have aux in, important feature for me. Another problem with G3X is that you can't do quick and easy direct switching between at least 3 presets. G5 can do that though. All of those are within my budget.
Last edited by zozo77 at Nov 11, 2016,
Quote by zozo77
I can get Fender Mustang Floor for 220$, and RP500 for 170$. G3X is around 250$ here in Croatia, same as G5, but it doesn't have aux in, important feature for me. Another problem with G3X is that you can't do quick and easy direct switching between at least 3 presets. G5 can do that though. All of those are within my budget.
Okay, if you need exactly an Aux In then the G3X/G5(n) will not help you there. Although they do have a USB port so I think you can use that with your computer or other USB-compatible device to hear music from. I would have to check the manual to confirm though. The G3X/G5(n) do have preset switching though, I program and run presets on mine every performance. Granted you can only go up or down but if you program your sounds for your set ahead of time, you can just scroll up each time you need a new preset.

How much is a POD HD500 in your area?

EDIT: From what I see, the G3/G5 can play music through the USB from computers.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 11, 2016,
Quote by zozo77
HD500 is about 400$. To much for me.
Could you find it used? Should be around your price range used. Or is that the used price?
Quote by Will Lane
Could you find it used? Should be around your price range used. Or is that the used price?

That's used price. All prices in this thread are used prices.
For anyone who has an RP and uses it with a guitar amp... Make sure that you set the cab sim on your amp model to "Direct". It makes a huge difference in the sound. I can imagine that anyone who didn't know this would not like the RP tone. I sat down one day to match an RP1000 with the gain channel of a tube amp. Before eliminating the cab sim (with Direct) I was unable to mach the tone of the gain channel when using the clean channel and the RP. After eliminating the cab sim I was able to get an exact match to my ears.