So I currently have a blackstar ht 5 amp. I like it, but I feel it's too fizzy sounding, and doesn't have that metal overdrive feel I like. This guy on craigslist is offering to trade me his Krank rev jr. pro 20 watt head, with a marshal 4x12 cab. I want my guitar to be able to sound along the lines of devildriver, and also be able to have that modern killswitch engage and gojira like metal tone. Will the krank rev jr pro get me close to that?
i haven't tried either (and you'd want to find out exactly which model marshall cab it is in case it's one of the cheaper/crappier ones), but i'd have thought that sounds like a good trade in your favour, yeah. assuming his amp has been looked after as well as yours, it's legit (not stolen or fake etc. ) etc. etc.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Isn't the Krank a boosted Marshall voiced amp? It's probably a better amp than the Blackstar regardless.

You probably want a Mesa Dual Rec (which seems way out of budget) for those tones anyway.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried either (and you'd want to find out exactly which model marshall cab it is in case it's one of the cheaper/crappier ones), but i'd have thought that sounds like a good trade in your favour, yeah. assuming his amp has been looked after as well as yours, it's legit (not stolen or fake etc. ) etc. etc.

+1 on researching the cabinet as all Marshall cabs are not created equal.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

yea i'd go with the krank over the blackstar, it has a considerable bite and more aggressiveness in the distortion, and trading an amp for an amp + cab sounds like an uneven deal. Keep in mind, many things can factor in your tone and the overdrive feel to the distortion, i.e. pickups, type of guitar, what it's made of, and the type of speakers you're using. If ya wanna sound like devildriver, save up for that tube amp! and an overdrive pedal I believe one of the guitarists uses a blackstar 100.
Quote by metalmingee
Isn't the Krank a boosted Marshall voiced amp? It's probably a better amp than the Blackstar regardless.

You probably want a Mesa Dual Rec (which seems way out of budget) for those tones anyway.

The rev series is modern metal. Not even close to a Marshall tone.

The only Marshall voiced amp in the series is the nineteen80
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^ yeah. unless there's something wrong with the krank (which you always have to be careful of if a deal seems too good to be true), it seems like a no-brainer (also assuming those smaller kranks sound like the bigger ones).
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Before you trade run your amp with the ISF to the American setting, put a TS in front of the amp to boost it and try gain between noon and 1 and see if you can get tones a little more to your liking before you trade, also if you can run it through a V30 speaker or a Swamp thang it will make a difference over the standard blackbird speaker.