I have a DS-1 and metal zone lying around and ive been trying to use them as a volume boost for solos when playing with my band. I use a fender champion 100 and the distortion on it. It just doesnt change the volume when i activate the pedals, even if I put the level on max, although it does change the tone.

Ive tried what this link suggests but it did not work. http://www.guitartoneoverload.com/2010/06/01/why-isnt-my-clean-boost-pedal-increasing-my-overall-volume/

Although I do think it may be something to do with the position I have the pedals in. I have an fx loop too if that helps

any ideas?
Neither of those are clean boost pedals. If the preamp is already saturated you're not going to get any more volume by adding signal in front of the amp. The effects loop would be the place to increase the volume, as the link says.
Roc8995 so you are saying I should pick up a boost pedal and not just distortion? Im really confused because my friend does exactly what I do and his works through his marshall
pgskbb you will not get a boost in volume going in the front of the amp with any pedal, only an increase in gain (which is technically volume) but once it's already saturated it's only going to distort further, not add any actual volume.

You have to think of the power amp section as the actual volume. The preamp can only feed it so much volume before it hits the limit.
Quote by pgskbb
Roc8995 so you are saying I should pick up a boost pedal and not just distortion? Im really confused because my friend does exactly what I do and his works through his marshall

which marshall does he have? does he use the same pedals?

and a clean boost won't work any different if you're plugging into an already saturated/distorted amp. it'll only boost volume when plugged into the front of the amp if the amp is clean (or cleanish, at least).
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Dave_Mc he has a mg100cfx and he too uses the onboard distortion. would an old compressor sustainer work as a boost going though the fx loop if the distortions dont? excuse the fact I have no idea about how any of this works...
If your amp's volume is maxed out, then a pedal can't give you more volume - that's your problem. A DS1 is more than capable of boosting a signal , quite drastically, as is every overdrive or distortion pedal.

A ds1 would still give you a very noticeable volume boost on your distortion channel when placed in front of the amp if you max out the gain - so you're chocking your amp and simply have no headroom left.

Get a louder amp.
Last edited by reverb66 at Nov 10, 2016,
^ a ds1 doesn't have a ton of level boost on tap, but it should have some, as you said- it's the amp's problem (as you also said).
Quote by pgskbb
Dave_Mc he has a mg100cfx and he too uses the onboard distortion. would an old compressor sustainer work as a boost going though the fx loop if the distortions dont? excuse the fact I have no idea about how any of this works...

does it have a level knob on it that goes above unity volume? if so (and assuming the other knobs at zero aren't really doing any compressing) then it should work, yeah. i think.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I had this same problem with my Randall RM100. I ended up getting an MXR 10 band eq pedal & running it in the fx loop. everything else, either in the front or the loop, made no difference
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
I tried using an old comp/sustainer and just turning the volume up in the fx loop and it worked, although the ds-1 didnt increase the voulme. Thanks for the suggestions. didnt try the metal zone