Page 1 of 7
It's getting close to that time of the year and some of us are already starting to think about it...

What are your 2017 gear plans?

Me? I don't even have my FGN to round out my 2016 gear plans yet, but already for next year I'm thinking about buying a cheap tube amp kit because I'm curious about building my own. It seems like a lot of fun and a great opportunity to do some experimentation.

I might just get an Epi Valve jr , completely gutting it and fit it with all new parts. How about shoehorning the PCB of a Boss Metalzone into the input stage?

For guitars, a 7 string is certainly on the agenda. Maybe an RG1527, as they can be had fairly cheap on ebay. But I'd also really dig a Jackson SLAT7. I played an MIJ one right before Jackson ceased production in Japan yeas ago and I still remember how nice it was to play. IIRC it was the only example of an MIJ SLAT7 to try out at a guitar store in the UK.

What are yours?
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Plans? I don't have plans for what I'm going to buy! I work on the principle of if I see something I like, I buy it.

I do have some kit I've been "planning" to sell for a couple of years now though. Maybe next year I'll get around to advertising them....

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
More guitars. Not sure what. I'd love a good Les Paul, but I've got enough guitars to just wait for the right deals.
A Northstrum Veracity for sure....

No plans on the buying side, and I have 2 or 3 that I'm not playing much/at all, I may well be looking to offload them.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Plan on something that can handle drop A on a 6 string, which probably means a 27-28" baritone. Might even think of trading my Kemper for an AX8. But I think I'd have to go bonkers before doing that. Guess I could look at a few pedals for my jamming rig, who knows??
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Plan on something that can handle drop A on a 6 string, which probably means a 27-28" baritone. Might even think of trading my Kemper for an AX8. But I think I'd have to go bonkers before doing that. Guess I could look at a few pedals for my jamming rig, who knows??

You would have to be pretty mad to trade a Kemper for an Axe.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Oh jeez, I dont even want to think of 2017 yet.

Way to steal my thread
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I really want to get a talkbox for my guitar, like a Rocktron Banshee II with a built in amp but I need to get a small PA going first.

Mind Bender

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Nov 10, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine
I really want to get a talkbox for my guitar, like a Rocktron Banshee II with a built in amp but I need to get a small PA going first.

Mind Bender

Talkboxes are pretty cool. My buddy has one of the old school ones, not sure of the brand though.

One thing I do want for 2016 is either a new speaker for my Vintage Club 30 or to get rid ot it and grab a DRRI
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Talkboxes are pretty cool. My buddy has one of the old school ones, not sure of the brand though.

One thing I do want for 2016 is either a new speaker for my Vintage Club 30 or to get rid ot it and grab a DRRI

Yeah I have been gassing for one for years the lead guitar player in my brother's old band had a DIY talkbox and he used to tear up some Frampton with it, I was their soundman and used to put M&M's or Skittles in his tube and he would get pissed!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Nov 10, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You would have to be pretty mad to trade a Kemper for an Axe.

Not sure I'd go that far, for home use the AX8 floorboard design might actually be easier than having a MIDI controller for the Kemper. Think it's just one of those GAS things... hey, it might be better... do it... dooooo eeeeeeet.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Ibanez prestige (#6).
a pair of MIJ Jackson DK2's.
gibson flying V (#2).

on top of that just some upgrades throughout. mostly pickups and trem blocks, etc.

nothing on the amp front. I have too many.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Another thing I'd like to do is maybe a bit of soundproofing or maybe making an iso box.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Another thing I'd like to do is maybe a bit of soundproofing or maybe making an iso box.

haha.

i actually got a noise complaint for drumming at my studio at night, and i have been doing that for years. fuck, i play guitar louder than that all night on a regular basis. bitches.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup
haha.

i actually got a noise complaint for drumming at my studio at night, and i have been doing that for years. fuck, i play guitar louder than that all night on a regular basis. bitches.

I don't think I have ever gotten a noise complaint which I find super funny considering the kind of amps I used to own and how loud I would play them. Its kind of funny to think about since most of my noise is done with headphones and monitors now
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Well, due to an unexpected cash outflow, I may have to put off my Christmas Mesa or Orange amp purchase until January or February. It will be a close thing.

Regardless of that, 2017 will see more axes and stompboxes...and maybe more amps. It's likely that whichever amp doesn't get purchased next will still be bought. And I'm looking hard at offerings from Supro, Tone King and Quilter.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I don't think I have ever gotten a noise complaint which I find super funny considering the kind of amps I used to own and how loud I would play them. Its kind of funny to think about since most of my noise is done with headphones and monitors now

the complaint was at 9pm WTF! lol. i do most of my guitar playing between midnight and 3am. and i play as loud as i want. never had problems.

what bothered me most is that she could have came to my door instead of calling the city. i would have stopped (THAT time). lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Hopefully nothing... 2016 was hard enough on my bank account, something like 6 or so new guitars and a new amp + pedalboard setup. Sheesh!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, due to an unexpected cash outflow, I may have to put off my Christmas Mesa or Orange amp purchase until January or February. It will be a close thing.

Regardless of that, 2017 will see more axes and stompboxes...and maybe more amps. It's likely that whichever amp doesn't get purchased next will still be bought. And I'm looking hard at offerings from Supro, Tone King and Quilter.

WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? YOU NEED MAPZ. asap.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup
the complaint was at 9pm WTF! lol. i do most of my guitar playing between midnight and 3am. and i play as loud as i want. never had problems.

what bothered me most is that she could have came to my door instead of calling the city. i would have stopped (THAT time). lol.

Some people are weird. What can you do?

Also, I'm ordering some parts to mod a few pedals. I was planning on modding my SF for a bit more bass and gain. Might try to smooth out the top end as well.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
I haven't decided yet. I will buy another guitar in 2017 because it has been a good 3 years since my last purchase. Going to be a 7 string.

Apart from that I'm not sure. If cash is low I'll probably get a used Ibanez Prestige and swap the pickups or something, but god damn I would love a Skervesen Swan or a Mayones Duvell...

Also going to be treating my room properly with home-made absorbers and bass traps which will take a couple of months I think.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? YOU NEED MAPZ. asap.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Quote by dannyalcatraz

haha. you keep putting it off. get amp nao.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

I'm looking to save up for a Mesa Mark series amp (hopefully a used Mk IV, I played one and it blew me away). Other than that, a couple mic's and a reamping setup and I'll be satisfied.

...for like a week or so.
Nothing so far, more graphic guitars because I'm addicted to those but damn they're expensive.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by I K0nijn I
More guitars. Not sure what. I'd love a good Les Paul, but I've got enough guitars to just wait for the right deals.

That's where I am now I have 14 in my arsenal so getting another is not a priority which allows me to be patient and wait for the right one to find me.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Fisheth24
Laney Ironheart studio, Axe FX, Kemper or Eleven Rack.

Haven't decided yet though.

Didn't you already have an IRT? Could've sworn you did at one point.

Personally I don't think the 11r is in the same caliber as a Kemper or an Axe.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Didn't you already have an IRT? Could've sworn you did at one point.

Personally I don't think the 11r is in the same caliber as a Kemper or an Axe.

I was contemplating it, never went ahead with it though.
Quote by Fisheth24
I was contemplating it, never went ahead with it though.

I see, cause I remember you were talking about it tons when you were still doing your last project.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Ibanez prestige (#6).
a pair of MIJ Jackson DK2's.
gibson flying V (#2).

on top of that just some upgrades throughout. mostly pickups and trem blocks, etc.

nothing on the amp front. I have too many.

Upgrading a few of mine is the most likely scenario for 2017 I have been slacking on replacing the Edge III with an Edge Pro on my Ibanez Xiphos and some pup upgrades for a couple of others. Unless that Prestige I have been gassing for but has been eluding me for about three years now appearing every time I am broke!

Damn you prestige stop f**king with me

Hey you are getting another one you should give me one of yours
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

My gear plans for 2017 have nothing to do with guitar gear.

I'm planning on getting my home recording setup up to a standard a little bit higher than "cheap laptop and line 6 interface with a cheap SM58 knockoff mic", and also learning to play the drums and possibly even devoting some time to an orchestral instrument such as the flute or trumpet, to broaden my musical horizons a bit.
Happiness is a warm Vox AC30
no concrete plans but after not buying anything for the last 3 years I'm thinking I'm due. pretty set on guitars and amps so probably a new pedal at least. of course you never know what might pop up so when I say set it may have to have an * after it
-Clean boost for my ambient rig, probably a TC Spark Mini. I keep finding myself wanting to kick the volume up for sections without going full raucous Big Muff tone.
-A delay, probably a TC Flashback (or a Flashback X4 if I can find the right deal on a used one), for that rig too. I've been happy with just a big reverb sound, but come on, you can't play ambient stuff with no delay at all.
-A Muff-style fuzz for my general-purpose board, something a little more wooly than the Fuzz Face style without being as chaotic as the Voodoo Octave. Either a Nano Big Muff or a Caroline Olympia, which isn't quite a direct Muff clone but covers some similar sonic territory (and they're local!).
-Reverb for my all-rounder board, something a little more flexible and better-sounding than my amp verb.
-Possibly an amp for Fendery clean/blues tones, like my Vox is a great clean/blues amp in its own way but the voicing is different. Possibly a Super Champ or an old silverface if I find a good deal on one? Carvin Vintage 16 might work too.
-A cheap fretless bass, either an SX or if I find a good deal on a used Squier.
-I really really want a purple guitar, no I don't know why, but I'll be keeping an eye out for the right one. (My Guitar Center had one of those late-90s Ampegs with P-90s in purple last year, and it was great, but before I had the cash it sold.)
-Power supply! A REAL power supply! That's top priority.

EDIT: Also, possibly upgrading the stock P-90s in my Epi 339. They're not BAD per se but I feel like they could be a bit better.
Last edited by LysanderSpoon at Nov 10, 2016,
-5-string Bass + amp. Probably going to go with the Ibanez SR305, but also considering the Sterling Ray5 and Yamaha RBX305. Amp? Fender or Orange practice amp is the short list, maybe something from Hartke.
-Some pointy guitar on the cheap. Dean VX or MLX or a Douglas Octanis.

IF I get any amp I don't think I'm going to be happy with my purchase if it's not the Peavey 6505. The +112 combo is probably my best bet.
Guitars:
Squire Bullet Strat, Schecter Damien 6, Washburn WG-587 & RX10
Amp/Effects:
Peavy Vypyr 30, ISP Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
Last edited by bjgrifter at Nov 10, 2016,
  • If either the Masterbilt or the V don't happen this year, chances are they'll be January.
  • Pickups will probably happen for both the V and the '62 Tele. Probably Creamery
  • I might replace my wooden pedalboard with a pedaltrain and case, or I may not
  • I might get a new, smaller amp, or I might not (on a related note, I may or may not lug my Twin out to Wales)
  • I might switch out my EHX Glove for something (maybe the DopeFX take on the Zen?) or I might not
  • I might switch out my EHX Small Stone for a DOD Phasor 201 or I might not

The last few are pretty tentative and right now I can't really see myself doing anything beyond that since I want to actually have money, but the temptations inevitably appear. As it is I'm pretty happy with my current and planned rig.
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Nov 10, 2016,
Well I've already spent $5000+ on my set-up this year so I might as well wait till next year to finish it.
Probably a new six stringer, probably a Kiesel or a Stranberger
A Matrix gt1600 and probably a case for my custom cab.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
I really really want a purple guitar, no I don't know why, but I'll be keeping an eye out for the right one. (My Guitar Center had one of those late-90s Ampegs with P-90s in purple last year, and it was great, but before I had the cash it sold.)

I'm wit'cha*. (Also metal flake blue, sea foam green, metallic orange, and shell pink.)

* and I actually got a purple burst one earlier this year.

alhaq369
Actually, my main guitar aquisition goal for 2017 or 2018- depending on circumstances beyond my control- is I'm planning on buying a super light custom semihollow from Jon Kammerer. His standard mini semi is a doublecut, and weighs maaaaybe 5lbs with the design's standard pickup array. I plan on dropping that weight even more by using a Lace Alumitones- a Deathbucker bridge, with either a standard Alumitone HB or a pair of singlecoil Alumitones.

The end result will be a full-scale "travel" guitar, 4lbs or less.

alhaq369
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Actually, my main guitar aquisition goal for 2017 or 2018- depending on circumstances beyond my control- is I'm planning on buying a super light custom semihollow from Jon Kammerer. His standard mini semi is a doublecut, and weighs maaaaybe 5lbs with the design's standard pickup array. I plan on dropping that weight even more by using a Lace Alumitones- a Deathbucker bridge, with either a standard Alumitone HB or a pair of singlecoil Alumitones.

The end result will be a full-scale "travel" guitar, 4lbs or less.

I'm considering something similar, but it'll likely be a Carvin/Kiesel headless of some kind. Undecided on the little stuff, like scale (or fan fret), number of strings, woods/color, etc., but it'll likely be a 5 - 5.5 lb guitar and *short*. That and some FRFR thing with a jillion watts, as long as it weighs under 30 lbs. If the whole rig won't fit in the trunk of an old Ferrari 612 Scaglietti with room left over, it doesn't go along. What back seat there is on that car will be filled with small hot business women wearing white shirts, short pencil skirts and trendy heels. The long lean one rides shotgun. Wait, that has nothing to do with a guitar rig, does it. Sorry.

I want one more AL-3200 style guitar with a Floyd (depends on whether Kurt will have it made with the same set of specs as my older one).
Might want to pick up an SJM/Liquid

My tentative plan is to sell off the 4x12s (useless waste of space POS's), get rid of a pair of old Altec Lansing Voice of the Theaters, get all my old tube gear organized, dump the old Marantz stuff, clear out the storage unit as much as possible. I need to organize the keys and midi stuff and get a couple of speaker stands.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 10, 2016,