Page 53 of 53
Quote by Ikillintel
I like the V headstocks followed by 6 inline/reverse 6. The shrimpfork is a no go for me, I can barely look at it

Yeah those Series 1's aka "BFH" are pretty rare, I only know a couple guys who actually own em. They should do a re-issue on select models.

They've reissued them a few times over the years. The Lost 100 series comes to mind.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Upon closer examination, I think mine may be a 2. But I only have one other Dean to compare it to, and it doesn't have a V headstock.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Tortoiseshell pickguard came in the mail for the Epi. I can't find a single example on google images, so as far as I know I'll be the first person to ever put a TS guard on a black explorer, ha!
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
The boy who modded a hundred Strats has grown into the man who owns a couple Les Pauls. The only thing to do is buy more.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Well, I tried a 1964 Gibson ES-335 this afternoon that was for sale. anyone needing a kidney or two?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
Well, I tried a 1964 Gibson ES-335 this afternoon that was for sale. anyone needing a kidney or two?

All original? Even the crumbly klusons?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

yes, it had crumbling klusons.

What always gets me about these vintage gibsons, is this seemingly elusive dynamic interaction between the volume and tone pots that is more or less unique to pre-norlin Gibsons - they interact in a way that actually opens up the tone a lot when you back off the volume, rather than muting and restricting it, and the effect of the tone control seems somewhat proportional to the volume level, so you get less roll off from the tone pot when you back the volume off, and I find this absolutely brilliant for the way that I play. This guitar had the most usable volume and tone controls ever.

Some people attribute it to that '50s wiring' thing where the volume and tone pots are wired in reverse order to what is generally considered the standard way of wiring nowadays, but I think there's a bit more to it than that. 50s wiring only gets half way there. maybe the pickups play a part in it, or the pots themselves..?

...But if I could get a modern guitar that behaved like a "golden-era" vintage Gibson, in terms of how it responds to picking dynamics and how the controls interact with one another, I'd be a very happy man!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Blompcube
yes, it had crumbling klusons.

What always gets me about these vintage gibsons, is this seemingly elusive dynamic interaction between the volume and tone pots that is more or less unique to pre-norlin Gibsons - they interact in a way that actually opens up the tone a lot when you back off the volume, rather than muting and restricting it, and the effect of the tone control seems somewhat proportional to the volume level, so you get less roll off from the tone pot when you back the volume off, and I find this absolutely brilliant for the way that I play. This guitar had the most usable volume and tone controls ever.

Some people attribute it to that '50s wiring' thing where the volume and tone pots are wired in reverse order to what is generally considered the standard way of wiring nowadays, but I think there's a bit more to it than that. 50s wiring only gets half way there. maybe the pickups play a part in it, or the pots themselves..?

...But if I could get a modern guitar that behaved like a "golden-era" vintage Gibson, in terms of how it responds to picking dynamics and how the controls interact with one another, I'd be a very happy man!

Its 50s wiring and the taper of the centralab pots IMO. The taper of those pots aren't really the same as what they were putting in the newer RIs. I had to swap mine out to really get it closer to what I expect a vintage LP to do.

I have 50's wiring on my R8 with linear pots, a magnet flipped neck and my pickups aren't potted. I'm a stickler for vintage tones and gear and it sounds and reacts pretty damn close to the '57 GT and the couple of 52/59 conversions I've tried. Guy I used to hang with was a pretty big gear head so I've had the chance to try out quite a few vintage instruments. Same guy also has a Guitar Clinic LP with a set of Voodoos in it and that thing is nowhere near a vintage instrument but if you weren't keen, you'd be fooled pretty easy. Sound wise and feel wise.

I'd love to say its mojo but unfortunately I grew out of that phase years ago. There's always a reason for a particular sound.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Its 50s wiring and the taper of the centralab pots IMO. The taper of those pots aren't really the same as what they were putting in the newer RIs. I had to swap mine out to really get it closer to what I expect a vintage LP to do.

I have 50's wiring on my R8 with linear pots, a magnet flipped neck and my pickups aren't potted. I'm a stickler for vintage tones and gear and it sounds and reacts pretty damn close to the '57 GT and the couple of 52/59 conversions I've tried. Guy I used to hang with was a pretty big gear head so I've had the chance to try out quite a few vintage instruments. Same guy also has a Guitar Clinic LP with a set of Voodoos in it and that thing is nowhere near a vintage instrument but if you weren't keen, you'd be fooled pretty easy. Sound wise and feel wise.

I'd love to say its mojo but unfortunately I grew out of that phase years ago. There's always a reason for a particular sound.

yeah I outgrew the magic mojo/tone fairies thing a long time ago too. It's such an impractical way of looking at things. these days I go for a more practical approach, mainly due to space limitations at gigs where I've brought upon myself the need to play several different instruments. this frequently involves using compact solid state amps, one guitar, no pedals. learning how to get what I need from minimal gear has been the most useful guitar related skill I've aquired apart from learning to play the instrument itself!

I'm definitely gonna try 50s wiring as a starting point, and see where that goes. It might be enough for me to get in the ballpark of what I'm trying to accomplish - it's more about feel/interactivity than "tone".

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Hey, I have two '67s (one's a 12) and there ain't a crumbly kluson on either one.
I've got '50's guitars with '50's wiring and I have NO idea why someone in their right mind would want to go from a modern wiring setup back to that.

As for "vintage tones," I've yet to find anything with an "R" from Gibson that comes close. I've played just under 30 different serial numbers of original bursts in the last seven years or so, and I'm pretty convinced that most current guitar players will just find them a bit thin. If original '59 PAFs showed up in a good Asian guitar, they'd be ripping them out and putting something in with a hotter bridge *and* neck pickup, griping the whole time that the neck pickup was louder than the bridge pickup and that those silly Koreans/Indonesians/Vietnamese/Chinese had their ears in backwards.
I like the thin and nasally though
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
i didn't plan on this. 

they made me buy it at the store.  
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Did danny take over your body?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
i have no shame, i don't care if it's a girls guitar i like it.  it sounds great and plays effortlessly.  which is key because i am incredibly lazy.  

it's a cool guitar, not really a lot like anything, sort of like a lot of things.  like the vela in that way i guess.  familiar stranger?   
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 21, 2017,
I would say I was incredibly laz...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by gregs1020
i have no shame, i don't care if it's a girls guitar i like it.  it sounds great and plays effortlessly.  which is key because i am incredibly lazy.  

it's a cool guitar, not really a lot like anything, sort of like a lot of things.  like the vela in that way i guess.  familiar stranger?   

I didn't even know it was a signature guitar.

Now I kind of wonder if this statement is true or not for you... Quick on the defensive there
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by dspellman
I've got '50's guitars with '50's wiring and I have NO idea why someone in their right mind would want to go from a modern wiring setup back to that.

As for "vintage tones," I've yet to find anything with an "R" from Gibson that comes close. I've played just under 30 different serial numbers of original bursts in the last seven years or so, and I'm pretty convinced that most current guitar players will just find them a bit thin. If original '59 PAFs showed up in a good Asian guitar, they'd be ripping them out and putting something in with a hotter bridge *and* neck pickup, griping the whole time that the neck pickup was louder than the bridge pickup and that those silly Koreans/Indonesians/Vietnamese/Chinese had their ears in backwards.

I actually like what those vintage Gibsons do - usually tones that are "a bit thin" on their own work great in a mix. there's also the added advantage of those lower output PAFs having a much more detailed high end and overall a more open dynamic response that's a lot more nuanced than these compressed and rounded off modern humbucker tones. I like that type of thing, and the 50s wiring compliments it nicely too.

gregs1020 

Not the colour I'd choose on that guitar (I love the original blue and the stealth black), but I'm super jealous right now. Good god, I'd love to own one.
Quote by I K0nijn I
gregs1020

Not the colour I'd choose on that guitar (I love the original blue and the stealth black), but I'm super jealous right now. Good god, I'd love to own one.

i would have rather had a burst or the blue, they had a stealth black one and it was quite heavy.  easily a pound heavier than mine and mine is 7.6 lbs.  this was used and traded in so i got it pretty cheap tbh.

H4T3BR33D3R i like the orianthi sigs too.  so there.   
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 21, 2017,
Quote by I K0nijn I
gregs1020 

Did danny take over YOUR body?

Quote by gregs1020
i would have rather had a burst or the blue, they had a stealth black one and it was quite heavy.  easily a pound heavier than mine and mine is 7.6 lbs.  this was used and traded in so i got it pretty cheap tbh.

H4T3BR33D3R i like the orianthi sigs too.  so there.   

Into blondes I see?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Did danny take over YOUR body?

I fell for that guitar when it came out.
So I'm thinking about topping off my 2017 gear purchases with either a Line 6 M9 or an M13. The M9 feels like it fits my needs more, but you do get a lot of extra features with the M13. Not sure where I'd fit the M13 on my board though, and as good as the M13 seems, I'm not giving up my Cathedral or my Belle Epoch any time soon. Anyone have experience with either?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Into blondes I see?

i thought that vincent chicky was a brunette?  either way, i used to be allergic to blondes but i'm recovering.  
necrosis1193 only that i wanted both just like you do.   
gregs1020

As I recall, she's a brunette who has currently bleached/dyed to blond.

Quote by gregs1020

It's fugly and I'm disappointed in all of you but I hope it sounds/plays good

Quote by Blompcube
I actually like what those vintage Gibsons do - usually tones that are "a bit thin" on their own work great in a mix. there's also the added advantage of those lower output PAFs having a much more detailed high end and overall a more open dynamic response that's a lot more nuanced than these compressed and rounded off modern humbucker tones. I like that type of thing, and the 50s wiring compliments it nicely too.
Yeah, I think the point was that Gibby enthusiasts these days are predominantly bedroom rockstars who are worried about sounding like Slash or Page on their own rather than knowing how things work in a band. And that Gibson knows and embraces this.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one