Anyone have or have had one of these? I've got a line on what I believe is an older version that only has two knobs and an ebony fretboard with lightning boltish inlays. They look pretty sweet and I've held the later model in the store. I really like the neck.

For the amount I can get it for $400, it seems like a steal and far less than any other guitar in my current collection, but I still don't want to waste $400 if it's junk.

*And I meant Prophecy. Stupid phone app won't let me edit the title.
Last edited by Xander_X at Nov 10, 2016,
I've owned a Prophecy Futura for years.

Decent guitar for sure. I played the snot out of it and had the frets re-leveled, wore the neck finish from satin to gloss. Later replaced the output jack and switch for Switchcraft ones, but that's par for the course on Epiphones.

The necks on them are very, very thin and have quite a rounded D profile. It's like an Ibanez Wizard in thickness. The rosewood fretboard feels almost like ebony to play. Though I have seen a couple on stores with finish imperfections, such as minor binding stains. Although you would never notice at a glance.

$400 seems like a fair price if it's in good condition.

Though if it were me I'd get the Matt Heafy Custom instead. The heavily carved neck heel is an awesome feature along with the ebony fretboard for the price. I'd rather have 22 frets over 24 if those 22 are much easier to access. The only casualty of the neck heel is that the body is not double-bound, but that's understandable; binding around such a neck heel design would be a nightmare. I prefer the neck profile on the MKH's over the Prophecy's as well.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
T00DEEPBLUE I was also looking at a Matt Heafy, I just don't know what the neck feels like on that, plus I'm used to 24 frets. I'm used to MIJ/USA Jackson's and late 80's USA Peavey's ... so pretty damn thin necks, all of which are 24 fret. Been playing for 22 years and never owned a Gibson or Fender product (not counting Jackson / Charvels post CBS buyout as they really didn't change too much in design). I did really like the heel on it, very similar too a Jackson SL1.
i went guitar demoing today (i was bored). so. i will ramble for a minute.

i played a few epiphones. i played a very disapointing new Epi les paul custom. i played a Prophecy and i thought it was a nice guitar for the money. good feel overall. the neck was so thin it didn't feel like i was playing a LP. i played a fantastic (yes they are out there) Gibson LP studio that was selling used for $650, it isn't as decorated and feature rich, but IMO it stole the show of the LP's.

i also played an EBMM BFR and left drooling.

went to another store, bought a cymbal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Xander_X
T00DEEPBLUE I was also looking at a Matt Heafy, I just don't know what the neck feels like on that, plus I'm used to 24 frets. I'm used to MIJ/USA Jackson's and late 80's USA Peavey's ... so pretty damn thin necks, all of which are 24 fret. Been playing for 22 years and never owned a Gibson or Fender product (not counting Jackson / Charvels post CBS buyout as they really didn't change too much in design). I did really like the heel on it, very similar too a Jackson SL1.

Think of the MKH's neck like a D-shaped 60's slimtaper. It certainly isn't a thick neck. I also own an MIJ Jackson DK2M that I've extensively modded and I could jump from that guitar to the other quite seamlessly. It's worth noting that the 24 frets on the Prophecy guitars does affect the feel a bit compared to other LP's because as a way to help combat the problem of fret access, they have actually moved the entire bridge, tailpiece and pickups further up the body by about an inch compared to a typical Les Paul, so that the neck meets at the body at the 18th fret instead of the 16th. Basically it makes the Prophecy LP feel a tiny bit more like an SG, but it isn't much of a difference and it certainly isn't a negative one.

Ultimately you need to evaluate how important having 24 frets is to you. I think the far superior fret access of the MKH is too nice a feature to pass up. You'll know what I mean if you ever get the chance to play one. I don't use the 24th fret very often and when I ever need to, I'll grab one of my other guitars.

I hope this helps.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care