Here's the headstock.

http://m.imgur.com/8hm3nyZ

The headstock graphic will also be branded and the etchings filled with black enamel paint and it will look and feel like smooth glass embedded in the wood. It's hard to explain. The headstock graphic is currently being rerendered by an artist by hand and so what you see is just an early version of a work in progress. The artists rendition will he etched onto a steel branding iron and etched into the headstock via pyrography.

( That white circle at the top (the North star) might actually end up being a hole and the design pattern you see a wood or metal insert that sits in the hole, I'm not sure if I want to make it an etching or a hole, undecided, might look cool)

SPECS.

BODY: One piece Honduran mohagany, 70s Strat.

NECK: 30 frets, 27" scale, maple with an ebony fretboard, stainless steel jumbo frets. Set-neck ( bolt-ons will be available as well). Locknut.

Dimarzio D Sonic pickup in the bridge and something cleaner sounding in the middle. Gotoh trem. Not sure what machine heads yet.

Now here's something unique. The body will have a pyrographic finish or what I like to call a " burn etched" finish. Here's an example. What I'll do is run the slab through a thickness planer and sand it down until the etchings are flush with the surface of the wood. Then I'll do a coloured stain over top.

http://m.imgur.com/IIgIhnu

BTW, that design is made with homemade microwave guns.

Any feedback on the headstock design? or the specs?

The name of the guitar is the Norstrum Veracity
Last edited by NorthstrumGuita at Nov 10, 2016,
Since you're concerned about being ostracized... here is my feedback.

Your specs seem fine. You chose a certain scale and wood to work with. Your headstock design looks like a headstock, it has a shape and tuners. Your logo, looks fine. Hardware and electronics, fine. It looks like you have all the components covered that make a guitar a guitar. Granted, it is a guitar with your own tweaks and ideas.

The pyrographic finish, also fine.

With all that being said: Not everyone and their brother is going to be gushing over your work, nor is everyone going to be eager to buy what you're making. It doesn't mean what you're doing isn't good, or even unique in some capacity. It just means that your average guitarist has an idea in his/her own mind as to what they want in a guitar.

Me for example, I like a much more simple approach to an instrument. I've been predominantly a "Fender" player over the past twenty years. I have some Gibson models, that I like as well. But, nothing that anyone would classify as being edgy or unique. And, that's my style. I don't want fancy graphics, fancy flamework, crazy designs, or elaborate details on my instruments. Hell, I won't buy an instrument if it has gold hardware on it. And that isn't even something out of the ordinary. I don't like, what in my mind, looks like a gaudy instrument. The most extreme guitar that I have is a Gibson SG, and that really isn't over the top at this point in time in history. An Explorer or V is over the top for my taste - and these are quite common designs.

So - it's okay. You're not being ostracized. This section is for advice and sharing ones work. Don't take offense if folks don't gush over your stuff. When you put up a finished product, I'm sure people will complement your work. Even if people aren't fans of your choices and options, you'll find some folks giving you kudos on the fact that you designed and built an instrument on your own.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
Since you're concerned about being ostracized... here is my feedback.

Your specs seem fine. You chose a certain scale and wood to work with. Your headstock design looks like a headstock, it has a shape and tuners. Your logo, looks fine. Hardware and electronics, fine. It looks like you have all the components covered that make a guitar a guitar. Granted, it is a guitar with your own tweaks and ideas.

The pyrographic finish, also fine.

With all that being said: Not everyone and their brother is going to be gushing over your work, nor is everyone going to be eager to buy what you're making. It doesn't mean what you're doing isn't good, or even unique in some capacity. It just means that your average guitarist has an idea in his/her own mind as to what they want in a guitar.

Me for example, I like a much more simple approach to an instrument. I've been predominantly a "Fender" player over the past twenty years. I have some Gibson models, that I like as well. But, nothing that anyone would classify as being edgy or unique. And, that's my style. I don't want fancy graphics, fancy flamework, crazy designs, or elaborate details on my instruments. Hell, I won't buy an instrument if it has gold hardware on it. And that isn't even something out of the ordinary. I don't like, what in my mind, looks like a gaudy instrument. The most extreme guitar that I have is a Gibson SG, and that really isn't over the top at this point in time in history. An Explorer or V is over the top for my taste - and these are quite common designs.

So - it's okay. You're not being ostracized. This section is for advice and sharing ones work. Don't take offense if folks don't gush over your stuff. When you put up a finished product, I'm sure people will complement your work. Even if people aren't fans of your choices and options, you'll find some folks giving you kudos on the fact that you designed and built an instrument on your own.

i feel like you missed his 4 locked threads.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Re: Headstock
You've missed the whole point of a headstock. It's to hold the tuners, which hold the strings. you'd better measure some tuners and see where the HOLES for those tuners are going to appear, and I'm guessing that your very busy headstock graphics are going to be a lot different when you do.

I don't think anyone is going to care whether the headstock graphics get there via pyrography or pyrotechnics.

If you build a heavy headstock and, consequently, a neck-heavy guitar, people will ignore the thing in droves.

As for how I feel about the graphics themselves? Simplify, simplify, simplfy. And find a GOOD artist when you do. This design is a hot mess. Dump two out of the three elements and make the one that's left identifiable from the 30th row of an audience.

The headstock shape itself is derivative (looks like several hundred other guitars) and you might want to consider functionality, including making it as much of a straight-pull headstock as possible, particularly if you're going to be offering the guitar with heavy strings.

Three pickups? You don't have room for three conventional pickups on a 30-fret guitar with a 27" scale.
H4T3BR33D3R

I can't reply to locked threads. How am I supposed to engage in post whoring if the threads are locked? Surely you don't think I come here to just read stuff. I'm much like one of those people who likes to talk for the sake of hearing themselves talk.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
dspellman makes excellent points about the design on your headstock. You have some intesting graphic ideas, but cramming thm all into that small space is sooooooo busy. It is hard on the eyes, and illegible, and- as he pointed out- may be obscured by the hardware you have to apply,

Other factors aside, illegibility will make it hard for people to ID your brand by name...which runs counter to the very reason for having a brand name.

The best logo graphics can tell you something about the company or product even if no words or lettering are present. I've personally done about a dozen company & small business logos. Here's one I did back in 1992-3 or so for the Texas Journal of Women and the Law, still in use in virtually it's original form (which was B&W- they change the colors on it depending on how they use it).

Personally, I'd take ONE rune and make it the brand symbol engraved into the headstock. You can still use the runic spelling of the company on your website and official documents.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
dannyalcatraz

I agree, and it's still a work in progress. I'm going to make it smaller as well, but for some reason I'm set on using the Anglo Saxon runes, although I agree that it somewhat defeats the purpose by making it harder to identify.

I'm going to check all my messages and reply after work, but it looks like I agree with everything people are saying.
I said it once before but it bears repeating: use ONE rune, not the whole name spelled out in runic script. It will fit better. It won't be obscured by tuner hardware. It will be identifiable.

Trust me on this.

But if you don't, check out UG's Electric Guitwr forum and do a search for threads in which people are asking to ID obscure old or small-brand guitars. They pop up 1-2 per week. Some of them go unidentified. That means people looking for your product can't find it/you or info about your product.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Quote by NorthstrumGuita
dannyalcatraz

I agree, and it's still a work in progress. I'm going to make it smaller as well, but for some reason I'm set on using the Anglo Saxon runes, although I agree that it somewhat defeats the purpose by making it harder to identify.

I'm going to check all my messages and reply after work, but it looks like I agree with everything people are saying.

You could consider using the 'runes' as inlay markers.

That way you could simplify the headstock design.
ThunderPunk

alhaq369
TS, have you ever heard of a guy named "Eric DeVries"?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull

alhaq369
Quote by steven seagull
TS, have you ever heard of a guy named "Eric DeVries"?

Be careful, we don't want to give him too much inspiration.

Do we really want to see him jumping up and down and dancing to a beat with no regard for personal space?
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
T00DEEPBLUEdspellman

I've redesigned the graphic and made it smaller. I wish I wasn't so busy this weekend because I feel like I'm neglecting to reply to everybody. On either Sunday or Monday I'll make sure I take the time to reply to everybody. I'll send you a better reply as well.

Just a really busy weekend for me. I'm not ignoring anybody though and I appreciate the advice from everybody.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Be careful, we don't want to give him too much inspiration.

Do we really want to see him jumping up and down and dancing to a beat with no regard for personal space?

It was purely as a cautionary tale, as in "Please don't turn into that guy"
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com