I'm wondering what you consider a light and/or heavy guitar, not necessarily electric, and whether this is important to you.

I getting to an age where things feel heavier than they did a few years ago, and I've got two guitars, a Gibson LP Special and a brass tricone that feel heavy at about 9 lb, to the extent that I don't play them much. OTOH, my favourite electric, a Vietnamese Peavey weighs about 5 1/4 lb, others are passable in the 7lb range. My lightest full-size acoustic, a Gibson prototype kona lap steel, weighs less than 3lb and gets a lot of playing time. Both it and the Peavey just feel nice.

What say?
not sure as i've never actually weighed them, but it's very important for me, i really don't like heavy guitars at all. i would guess that anything much over 8lbs I'd consider heavy, but that's just a guess.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I only weighed mine out of curiosity about the lightest and heaviest. I made a beam balance with a piece of wood suspended from my workshop roof, using a 2l milk bottle (ours are plastic) as a counterweight.
I would've used scales I only have my '62RI with me at the moment but I'll try to weigh it tomorrow; I've never payed too much attention to the weight of guitars but I'm not keen on super heavy ones.
never really thought about putting a specific # to it. I guess I'm a little weary of a super light guitar as I just wonder if it will hold up or not. I've had a couple of boat anchors over the years which can be bothersome if playing live for a long time. had a strat copy with a maple body and neck damn that was heavy even LP guys said damn that's heavy. right now my strats I'd guess don't go much over 7.5lbs if even that. my BC Rich is kinda heavy so I'm guessing a solid 8 or better. SG is probably the lightest but not sure how light.
I wouldn't like to have anything weighing more than 10lbs that's for sure.

Weight is important to me, but I feel that different guitars should weigh different based on my preconceived ideas about what said guitars represent. The weight of a guitar helps determine its overall vibe.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Ever picked up a Godin XTSA? Oh My! Thing will make an LP feel like a SG, Still one of my favorite guitars though, But then again I'm old and have a really cool modified vintage surgeon stool, Candy apple red with the red sparkle vinyl 50's dinner seat cushion, lots of chrome and brushed aluminum. Gets as much attention as some of the odd ball guitars I play, Also have a Tacoma DM9ce acoustic that's just weird light, even unplugged its loud as hell, I've let a select few play it, and they trip on how light it is, Let a few play the Godin too, But they generally want to borrow the stool also or are still to young to realize its killing they're back,
I have guitars of all kinds of weights. It doesn't bug me much. Any ache I feel is merely an incremental increase over my resting state.

I AM planning on buying a super light custom semihollow from Jon Kammerer. His standard mini semi is a doublecut, and weighs maaaaybe 5lbs with the design's standard pickup array. I plan on dropping that weight even more by using a Lace Alumitones- a Deathbucker bridge, with either a standard Alumitone HB or a pair of singlecoil Alumitones.

The end result will be a full-scale "travel" guitar, 4lbs or less.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
I've got a couple of guitars that are just under 11 lbs. They're heavy. There are another few that are between 9 and, say, 10.5, and I'd put those in the heavyweight class as well. Anything under about 8.5 lbs I really don't notice.

I don't have an issue with heavy guitars; maybe when I get old and feeble.
I don't know what my guitars average, really. I don't own anything that's super light like a Gibson V is, but I don't have a super heavy Les Paul anymore either.

I used to own a Traditional that was about 5.5kg, which is over 12 pounds. Stunning guitar, but I couldn't get along with the neck profile. I really have no issue with heavy guitars, but I generally like my guitars to have a little weight to it. Too light feels off to me.
I have 14 guitars half are superstrats 6-7lbs. range which is ideal for me. I don't mind a heavier guitar as they feel very solid to me ans super light guitars while they may be solid never feel that way for me.

I have an MIK Dean Split Tail solid mahogany body and set neck which is mahogany as well not sure the weight but it feels light even compared to my superstrats the body is relatively thin compared to most of my others and thats is probably why. It is a very well crafted instrument fit finish etc. are great it plays like a dream but because it is light I subconciously find myself being careful with it.

On the other end of the spectrum my B.C. Rick Beast VNT weighs in at a heafty 12.4 lbs if my sources are correct (I have not weighed it but it feels that heavy) it has a maple neck through construction with mahogany wings and Kahler trem, the body is thicker than any of my other guitars and it feels crazy solid I feel like I could bash someone over the head with it and not knock it out of tune. It does get to bothering my shoulder when played for extended times but nothing I can live with.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Nov 11, 2016,
9.5lbs is probably the heaviest ill go but I prefer them in the 8 lbs range
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
One suggestion: Weigh your guitars. Don't estimate their weight, and don't trust manufacturer's estimated weight. And weigh them with a proper scale, rather than doing the "stepping on a bathroom scale with and without them in hand" thing.
^ but i don't have a proper scale

i haven't even got as far as trying the bathroom scale thing
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

All of mine fit into 2 catagories - "ok" and "lighter than them other ones".
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
dspellman

When a weighed mine I was expecting the heavier ones to be heavier than they were, I was a bit surprised. I've tentatively concluded that it doesn't take much difference to alter my perception of weight.

I agree about the bathroon scales, though modern load cell ones might be better than the old spring type. My beam balance jury rig would be reasonably accurate, to within an ounce or two.
My '62RI is 4.2kg, which is 9.25lb. I guess it's a relatively heavy guitar but not to the extent it generally bothers me. That said, on a particularly tired day standing with it for a long time does get to be a bit of a chore.

I'm not entirely sure why it's so heavy. The Bigsby contributes probably a few hundred grams and I guess it's a hunk of particularly dense wood.
My banjos are both about 14. The D12 is definitely my heaviest instrument but that has legs so weight doesn't matter except for moving it.
*your ad here*
I don't like a really heavy guitar. I'm spoiled by my Larrivee d40 custom. It is super light. I've had many people comment on its light weight. It's an acoustic. My g400 isn't too heavy but I wouldn't mind it to be lighter. I'm currently thinking about getting into the Ibanez s series
I have an Ibanez Artist that's about 8.5 lbs. I'm 46 yrs old and it's become a chore to play. There's no way I can play it standing up. I've noticed that my PRS is also giving me shoulder and back pains after about and hour. And I love standing up and playing! These days I prefer my Ibanez "shredders" cuz they're super light. I hate to do it but I may have to part with the Artist and PRS in the next few years and get lighter options.
The LP weight used to bother me, but not any more when I try them out. I can tell the differences in weight between my guitars, but not to the point where any feel like a brick on a strap.
Guitars:
Squire Bullet Strat, Schecter Damien 6, Washburn WG-587 & RX10
Amp/Effects:
Peavy Vypyr 30, ISP Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
For me personally, a guitar that's around 9 or 9.5 lbs is about as heavy as I'd go for a gigging guitar. I once played a 1980 LP Custom that weighed about 10.5 lbs or so. It was a beast, but had some truly glorious tone!

I think all of my current electrics are around or under 7 lbs. Sometimes I miss my old explorer, as it hit the sweet spot between maximum comfort/light weight, and extra resonance/tone from more dense wood.
Quote by Sayonara6String
I have an Ibanez Artist that's about 8.5 lbs. I'm 46 yrs old and it's become a chore to play. There's no way I can play it standing up. I've noticed that my PRS is also giving me shoulder and back pains after about and hour. And I love standing up and playing! These days I prefer my Ibanez "shredders" cuz they're super light. I hate to do it but I may have to part with the Artist and PRS in the next few years and get lighter options.

Try a Grub Gear duostrap.

http://www.gruvgear.com/duostrap-neo

Should help alleviate any problems, and you won't have to part with your instruments then. For the sake of $80, it's worth a try.
I look at as 8 pounds is normal for a solid body ....... over 8 is getting heavy , I have 4 over 9 pounders and they don't get gigged or played as much ..... I prefer guitars below 7.5 pounds and when they get into the 6's I really like them ..
Quote by Tony Done
The responses are interesting, because, IIRC, a couple of decades ago everyone would have been bragging about how heavy their LPs were.

yeah and now they're in the hospital.

probably.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman