I just acquired a 2x12 which is only half of my venture, I need a good metal amp that can be played at home but that I could play in a band with as well, I like the peavey 6505 mh but it has el84s, and the Randall rd20h or even the rd45h ($100 difference) have 6l6s which I like. Has anyone played or owned both or either and have an opinion on what would be a good choice for me?
I play Metallica and thrashy/heavy stuff
PRS?
Metallica ⚡️
Last edited by ieholmquist at Nov 11, 2016,
I'm pretty sure RD20H has a 6V6 power stage not 6L6.

I haven't had the chance to try out the 6505 MH, but from what I've heard it sounds great and actually is what it's suppose to be a smaller/lower wattage 5150/6505.

I've only tried the RD45 (or at least I think it was a 45W), it was a while ago but I remember that the clean channel was pretty ok and the dirt channel kinda reminded me of 5150/6505's crunch channel... Ballpark-ish... But again it was a while so don't quote me on that one.

Anyways, all of these amps can do thrashy/heavy tone. The 20-watter might not be enough for band practice or un-miced gigs especially if you play with a loud drummer or a second guitarist who's gonna use a bigger amp, but for home, studio etc. They should be more than enough.
The RD45h has 6V6's. Its is a bit more versatile than the 6505mh in both tone and the fact that the Randall has enough headroom that it won't get drown out.

Also, last I knew, even at the beginning of this year, the 6505mh had a pretty serious overheating issue. Peavey is aware of it and is supposed to be fixing it but I've found no word that that's happened yet.

If you looked for used, they go for about the same price.
Last edited by Xander_X at Nov 13, 2016,
I played a 6505 MH a few months ago and it sounded small and thin, like I expected since it has EL-84s.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Quote by Grawgos
If you look up the Rd series amps in online stores or the manuals, they say that the RD45 takes 6L6 tubes.

Mine's a couple years old, so maybe they've changed it, but mine has 6V6 tubes in it.
Iv had the RD20H nor for a year, got it last year December time. And it has 6V6 not 6L6 but i know that they both take 6L6's. The cleans on the Randall are pretty good, and the dirt is fantastic. It is super tight and has great clarity.Especially with an OD you will be able to play it at whisper volumes, i do a lot of my playing late at night so good tone at low volumes is an important factor for me. As for the Peavey, it is too fizzy and thin in my opinion. The great thing about the Randall is it has a load of balls, and a lot of low end, but that low end is controlled and very tight, resulting in a super punchy gain channel. The only thing i can say is that the 6505 mh has a tad more gain than the Randall. All in all i would really recommend the Randall
Quote by tsc86
I'm pretty sure RD20H has a 6V6 power stage not 6L6.

Anyways, all of these amps can do thrashy/heavy tone. The 20-watter might not be enough for band practice or un-miced gigs especially if you play with a loud drummer or a second guitarist who's gonna use a bigger amp, but for home, studio etc. They should be more than enough.

I wouldnt worry about volume for the 20 watter, i have a Hesu 212 and Zilla 212 and with both i use it at band practice competing with a hard hitting metal drummer, and the master never goes past 4, with the pre amp volume around 3/4.