Hello guys! I hope you guys can help me out with this "problem". I really dont know a lot about pedals, amps etc, mostly played acoustics, so I hope you will bear with me!

I've been playing guitar on/off for around 10 years. Today I got my new electric guitar, which I am very fond of. Its a Jackson Js32 Kelly.

I also purchased a pedal together with the guitar, because of the following reason:

- When I play electric guitar I connect my amp to my PC so that I can play along with the songs I hear on Youtube. A lot of these songs have a clean verse and a heavy distorted chorus (System of a down, Metallica etc). So I want to be able to quickly switch from clean to metal. That was what I thought the pedal would do. (and kinda does?)

However!

My amp has 4 settings: (its a Line 6 Spider) Clean, Crunchy, Metal, and Insane. When I play a clean verse with "clean" and pedal OFF it sounds great. When I enable the pedal, it makes a very horrible distortion sound. Its like it mixes the clean amp setting with my pedal effect. Isnt a pedal supposed to overwrite the other setting? When I use "Metal" setting on Amp and activate pedal, the distortion sounds much better!

Am I just plain stupid, did I miss something? Or is it just a crappy pedal? I hope you guys can help me. Basically the only thing I want to do is being able to switch between heavy distortion and clean without bowing down to the amp

Gear:
Jackson JS32t Kelly
Amp: Line 6 Spider IV 15
Pedal: Belcat The Eyes Dual Overdrive Distortion Pedal
Sorry friend, your issue is this:
Quote by AeeroH
Amp: Line 6 Spider IV 15
Those amps are regarded as just plain bad. They especially do not take pedals well. Distortion pedals like your Belcat do not "overwrite" the amp's sound, but rather will add to it. The Spider just does not really take pedals well and so it sounds bad. Your amp can use a channel switcher, in the form of a footswitch, so that you can just switch amp channels, rather than using a separate pedal on the clean channel. Also the Belcat pedal is not exactly a top-tier item either, although I would think you could get usable results out of it with an amp that reacts to pedals properly.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 11, 2016,
Will Lane

Oh I feel stupid now - so I just had to buy one of these?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/line-6-fbv2-footswitch#productDetail

It will simply let me "scroll" through the 4 presets? That was basically what I wanted. Maybe I can send the pedal back.

Also, I am sad to hear that it is considered a bad amp. I know it is cheap, but I read a lot of positive reviews, so I thought it was ok. I do not have high requirements for my gear, as I dont play much. But maybe the guitar is bottlenecked by this amp?

Thanks for your help
Quote by AeeroH
Will Lane

Oh I feel stupid now - so I just had to buy one of these?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/line-6-fbv2-footswitch#productDetail

It will simply let me "scroll" through the 4 presets? That was basically what I wanted. Maybe I can send the pedal back.

Also, I am sad to hear that it is considered a bad amp. I know it is cheap, but I read a lot of positive reviews, so I thought it was ok. I do not have high requirements for my gear, as I dont play much. But maybe the guitar is bottlenecked by this amp?

Thanks for your help
Yup, the FBV2 is meant for it from what I see. It only allows scrolling which is kind of annoying but I don't imagine it will be too difficult.

And yes, the Spiders sell/sold a lot because they were cheap and well-marketed. But as far as professionalism is concerned, they are garbage. TBH, I would suggest you not spend any more money on the Spider, but look into getting a proper tube amp in your near future. It would be a lot more inspiring to you to play than the Spider.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 11, 2016,
Will Lane

I see. Thanks for your reply. How much money would it be worth to throw at a new amp? It will still be used by the Jackson Kelly
Depends on your location but if you're willing to go used you can get really great amps for 500 USD and under quite often.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.