For all you high tenors (or tenors in general), are your parents (dad and grand dad) also tenors? Or baritones/basses? I'm curious about this. Since genetics play a role in this (i think so) I kind of think that I'll be a bass baritone (like my dad and granddad). Well I'm not sure about my granddad, but for my dad- I'm pretty sure that regular baritones without any trainings can go down to C#2 to C2.
My father is a baritone and my mother is tone deaf. (she doesn't sing and I don't really know her range)

I'm a tenor.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
My father is a baritone and my mother is tone deaf. (she doesn't sing and I don't really know her range)

I'm a tenor.

Interesting...
Colja123 My father has a low voice, and my mother had a fairly high voice.

My speaking voice is low, but I practice vocals and it is believed I'm a baritone, everyone seems to be uncertain of my voice type. I was only able to go up to a B4 in falsetto earlier this year but now I can go up to a Bb5 (its only a squeak though) and I can comfortably do an E5 as well as an F5, when I relax my throat I can do a G5. As for my chest voice, my vocal teacher believes I can do a G4 in chest voice, I kind of have before, but it was very faint vibrations in my chest when I was doing it, the same thing happened when I did an A#4.

I'd say I'm probably a baritone and so yes, voice types do run in genetics.
Quote by kingoffretboard
Colja123 My father has a low voice, and my mother had a fairly high voice.

My speaking voice is low, but I practice vocals and it is believed I'm a baritone, everyone seems to be uncertain of my voice type. I was only able to go up to a B4 in falsetto earlier this year but now I can go up to a Bb5 (its only a squeak though) and I can comfortably do an E5 as well as an F5, when I relax my throat I can do a G5. As for my chest voice, my vocal teacher believes I can do a G4 in chest voice, I kind of have before, but it was very faint vibrations in my chest when I was doing it, the same thing happened when I did an A#4.

I'd say I'm probably a baritone and so yes, voice types do run in genetics.

Sorry, I did my research, and they don't... You listed 1 case. It's just a coincidence.When miosis occurs, chromosoms mix up, and end up with a product of 4 GENETICALLY DIFFERENT cells. That's why we're different. If sex cells would be made by mitosis, we would look exactly the same. Sorry, but you're wrong on this one...
Quote by Colja123
Sorry, I did my research, and they don't... You listed 1 case. It's just a coincidence.When miosis occurs, chromosoms mix up, and end up with a product of 4 GENETICALLY DIFFERENT cells. That's why we're different. If sex cells would be made by mitosis, we would look exactly the same. Sorry, but you're wrong on this one...

If a father having a low voice and a mother having a high voice doesn't result in a male offspring being a baritone, then I guess there is still hope that I'm a tenor. As I haven't developed my full technique yet

And I will admit that I was wrong from your refutation but that's what I believed until now.
Holy shit, is this thread full of bullshit. Mitosis is the part of cell division where the chromosomes are separated into two identical sets. What the hell that has to do with singing voice is beyond me, but please stop misinforming people like this, because you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, which is not suprising since you are probably taking grade 8 biology.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
Holy shit, is this thread full of bullshit. Mitosis is the part of cell division where the chromosomes are separated into two identical sets. What the hell that has to do with singing voice is beyond me, but please stop misinforming people like this, because you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, which is not suprising since you are probably taking grade 8 biology.

Grade 9
Quote by gorkyporky

Did you even read my post? How is a human made? 2 sex cells combine into one body cell. Sex cells are made by miosis, which at the end results in 4 sex cells that are genetically DIFFERENT. And it gets combined with another sex cell, which is also different. I said that if sex cells were made by mitosis (division of body cells which result in 2 GENTICALLY IDENTICAL cells), we would look the same as our parents, and have the same voice type! But since it doesn't work like that, your dad being a baritone doesn't mean sh1t...
I don't know anything about singing. Just letting you know.

But your reasoning is way off. The way you explain this, is that miosis creates cells that are genetically different, hence your parents' range doesn't affect your range. Well, how do you explain that I look really similar to my two sisters, or that I have my mothers' eyes? If the genetically different cells mean that you don't inherit traits from your parents, how do you explain similarities in looks and sometimes even personality?

You use the fact that we don't look the same as our parents as some sort of evidence, but honestly, we do. I have my dad's body type and my mothers' hair and eyes. My ex looked a lot like her mother, and her mother looked almost identical to her grandmother. So, obviously, looks do carry on from parent to child. If this happens to your vocal range, hell if I know, but I'm just pointing out that your logic is very flawed.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here