I'm going to try to make this short. I'm on 3 different bands right now. Only 1 of them is active at all tho. I've been in that one band since June and we've made virtually no progress, we have like 3 songs and we haven't ever played live yet. Problem is, I don't really like the music we write. It just sounds like generic 0-0-0-0-0-0-0 metalcore and I'm bored as hell of that. As a lead player, I do incorporate some little melodic sections in the songs, and some solos, but that's about it. I have a great relationship with the rhythm guitarist and a good one with the drummer. But I barely talk with the bassist/lead singer at all. And I think he doesn't really like me for some reason. I wasn't able to come to our last rehearsal because I was studying for some college exams, and now they have decided they're going to tune to Drop B. I absolutely don't want to have one of my guitars set up into a tuning I dislike just so I can use the guitar with that band, whose songs I don't even like much. I'm really really thinking about quiting right now. What should I do?
If you have to ask a forum whether or not you should quit, maybe you should Really no reason to be in a band you don't enjoy, outside of getting experience.

Who writes your songs? If you don't like them, and you don't want to tune to drop b, maybe talk to the other band members about this? If they wont budge, then you can quit.

Any chances of finding a new, better band?
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
If you have to ask a forum whether or not you should quit, maybe you should Really no reason to be in a band you don't enjoy, outside of getting experience.

Who writes your songs? If you don't like them, and you don't want to tune to drop b, maybe talk to the other band members about this? If they wont budge, then you can quit.

Any chances of finding a new, better band?

The lead singer/bassist often does most of the songwriting, I do lots of melodic contributions tho. And I already have 2 other bands I like more, the problem is...nothing ever happens with any of those two. They don't even seem to want to rehearsal, let alone do anything productive towards the band.
Then you dont have two other bands.

Anyway, there are a few ways to go about this i guess. If you dont like the music that much, write some songs and present them to the guys. Maybe they will like them, and that way you will actually enjoy playing in the band. Maybe they will have their own suggestions and ideas for the song, and that way you will all have songs that you like and they will sound more original since there will be more influences in there. Or you can write some interesting parts for the existing songs and offer up ideas. But for the love of god, dont be that guy that just complains that the songs suck, but does nothing in terms of writing. And no, playing a solo in the solo section of the song doesnt really count.
You can also just suck it up. If i were in a band that i didnt really like, i would maybe stick to it if there were some regular gigs and a change to gain experience and network with other musicians. That doesn't seem to be the case with you tho.
Or you can just quit. It doesnt seem like you are getting a lot from this band except problems. Maybe make a new band with all the other people you know. You should be able to form one coherent working band from the 3 bands you have now. Just take all the active people and mesh them into one band.

Also, just out of curiosity, how old are you guys?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I wouldn't worry, the band will break up soon anyway.

How do I know? Basically bands will always break up of there's a lack of momentum. In your case you've managed to write 3 songs in 5 months, meaning you couldn't play live, even if you wanted to.

Someone's boredom/frustration will build up, and they'll quit. It is usually preceded with other random actions though, like adding another band member or proposing that a current one is replaced, massive changes in musical direction, not showing up to band practice or being disengaged when they are at band practice (bored look on face/quiet/playing on phone/playing around on instrument between songs etc), or in you case, maybe proposing that every songs that has already been written should now be played differently.

So you can quit or not, it doesn't really change where this band will end up.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB

I have to agree with this. Doesn't sound like all of you really connect with the band.

Quote by HeavenHelpUs777
The lead singer/bassist often does most of the songwriting, I do lots of melodic contributions tho. And I already have 2 other bands I like more, the problem is...nothing ever happens with any of those two. They don't even seem to want to rehearsal, let alone do anything productive towards the band.

As gorky said, you don't have two other bands. So I'll repeat my question - where do you live? What are the chances you'll find an actual new band in that area? If you want to play with a band, I think you should start looking for a new one.

And if the bassist writes most of your stuff and you don't like it, why do you play in the same band with him, and why don't you write better material yourself?
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Alan is right this is barely a band anyway. This is more of a regular jam session. My advice is to start looking for people who are more productive, a proper band. There's no reason to give up jamming with these guys if you enjoy it or any reason to go if you don't.

Having said that see if the guys you do get on with would be interested in playing with you in another set up. The best way to get a band together is to network with musicians you know. Is there anyone from your other 'bands' who would be worth working with?

Finally re-tuning your guitar may be stupid and pointless but it isn't a real problem to re-tune back again after the practice, and if you play lead to transpose to somewhere else on the neck. I think your feelings about this band run deeper than just the re-tuning.

All in all I'd be tempted to try and find something else to go to before walking. OK the band isn't going anywhere but if you only have to learn one song every couple of months it isn't exactly hard work either.
Quote by gorkyporky
Then you dont have two other bands.

Anyway, there are a few ways to go about this i guess. If you dont like the music that much, write some songs and present them to the guys. Maybe they will like them, and that way you will actually enjoy playing in the band. Maybe they will have their own suggestions and ideas for the song, and that way you will all have songs that you like and they will sound more original since there will be more influences in there. Or you can write some interesting parts for the existing songs and offer up ideas. But for the love of god, dont be that guy that just complains that the songs suck, but does nothing in terms of writing. And no, playing a solo in the solo section of the song doesnt really count.
You can also just suck it up. If i were in a band that i didnt really like, i would maybe stick to it if there were some regular gigs and a change to gain experience and network with other musicians. That doesn't seem to be the case with you tho.
Or you can just quit. It doesnt seem like you are getting a lot from this band except problems. Maybe make a new band with all the other people you know. You should be able to form one coherent working band from the 3 bands you have now. Just take all the active people and mesh them into one band.

Also, just out of curiosity, how old are you guys?

I did write some songs, but they really weren't what the guys were looking for. I do contribute into the songwriting, almost all the lead guitar parts and the melodies are mine (Not only solos, but melodic sections and arrangements through the song) If that doesn't count, well ok then.
Yeah I think I'm quitting.
I'm 18, the other guys are on their mid to late 20's. One is 30.

Quote by AlanHB

How do I know? Basically bands will always break up of there's a lack of momentum. In your case you've managed to write 3 songs in 5 months, meaning you couldn't play live, even if you wanted to.

Someone's boredom/frustration will build up, and they'll quit. It is usually preceded with other random actions though, like adding another band member or proposing that a current one is replaced, massive changes in musical direction, not showing up to band practice or being disengaged when they are at band practice (bored look on face/quiet/playing on phone/playing around on instrument between songs etc), or in you case, maybe proposing that every songs that has already been written should now be played differently.

So you can quit or not, it doesn't really change where this band will end up.

LOL that description pretty much sums up how our rehearsals tend to be. Yeah I'm leaving.

Quote by Kevätuhri
I have to agree with this. Doesn't sound like all of you really connect with the band.

As gorky said, you don't have two other bands. So I'll repeat my question - where do you live? What are the chances you'll find an actual new band in that area? If you want to play with a band, I think you should start looking for a new one.

And if the bassist writes most of your stuff and you don't like it, why do you play in the same band with him, and why don't you write better material yourself?

Tucumán, Argentina. Kinda slim but not impossible. I think I'll just focus on the other ones and see what happens before trying to create a new band from scratch.

I was playing on the band because I wanted to have some experience and make contacts. And even tho the music was kinda meh, it was a nice experience. I made quite a bit of contacts already, and experience..well I dunno. It doesn't feel like it's worth it anymore

Quote by Phil Starr
Alan is right this is barely a band anyway. This is more of a regular jam session. My advice is to start looking for people who are more productive, a proper band. There's no reason to give up jamming with these guys if you enjoy it or any reason to go if you don't.

Having said that see if the guys you do get on with would be interested in playing with you in another set up. The best way to get a band together is to network with musicians you know. Is there anyone from your other 'bands' who would be worth working with?

Finally re-tuning your guitar may be stupid and pointless but it isn't a real problem to re-tune back again after the practice, and if you play lead to transpose to somewhere else on the neck. I think your feelings about this band run deeper than just the re-tuning.

All in all I'd be tempted to try and find something else to go to before walking. OK the band isn't going anywhere but if you only have to learn one song every couple of months it isn't exactly hard work either.

Yes, the guys from the other 2 "bands" I'm in. Some of them do seem like they want to do stuff. I'll keep contact with them and see what happens. Yeah it's not really much work, but I'd rather be in a band that's challenging but makes me grow as a musician.

Ok, thank you all for replying to my thread!
Well, i think it depends. If nothing changes, sure, quit, if you're not enjoying yourself, then what's the point?

However, before doing that, try writing some songs of your own, and present them at band practice. If all goes well, you could perhaps become the bandleader, and get the ball rolling. Sounds to me like you lack direction - so either pick up the reins or quit, i think those are the only two options that'll make you happy.

Edit: i just saw that you have already had this advice, so you might as well ignore my post :p
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!