Hi everybody!

I'm about to procure a Suhr Modern Satin, this one: http://www.suhr.com/Natural-Modern-Satin/

And I need to decide whether I want to get the one with the Original Floyd Rose or the one with their standard Gotoh tremolo bridge (non-locking). I have an Ibanez with the original Edge tremolo, which is just awesome.

But with the Suhr, I'm wondering if the original Floyd Rose on it will take something away from my clean tones? Or is this a myth? My Ibanez with the Edge trem sounds pretty damn good with cleans to me, but I've never played it with a normal bridge, so I have nothing to compare against.

Also, one plus is that I won't need to change nuts or do any filing when changing to heavier gauge strings for C-standard tuning. That's a plus of getting the Floyd Rose I guess.

So what do you guys think? Go with the Floyd? And do you think there are any major tonal differences between the two bridges?

P. S. - If anyone knows anything about woods and tone, is the natural finished African mahogany going to be tight enough on the low-end for prog-rock and metal type playing? Thanks.
They're quality made, I doubt you'd notice the difference in clean tones between the bridge. If you're a Floyd guy I'd stay stick with it

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
if you get the suhr with the OFR you won't have anything to compare it against either

but seriously, if you don't mind how your ibanez sounds for cleans i doubt the OFR will sound any worse. probably doesn't sound just as nice as a vintage 6-point fender strat-style trem for the nice high end sparkle for more vintage tones/cleans, but if you need the floyd that is probably a compromise you'd be willing to make. also worth bearing in mind that if the non-locking gotoh is a 2-point one with more modern saddles it probably doesn't have quite the sparkle of a vintage-style 6-point fender strat-style trem either.

hard to say about the wood. a lot of people think it makes no difference. a lot of other people thinks it makes a difference but it's pretty subtle. i'd have thought (unless you think it's too dark-sounding) that if you have a problem with low-end tightness you should be able to fix that with different, tighter pickups, but i could be wrong (plus maybe you don't want to fork out for different pickups, which would be a fair point considering how expensive the guitar is to begin with).

i would generally say that, while i doubt wood makes as much difference as the people selliing expensive wood like to make out, i'm not sure it makes no difference. and in certain parts of the guitar it might make more difference than others. that being the case i'd likely get the wood i thought would work best (assuming there's not a massive upcharge for it, of course) on the basis that if the wood makes no difference, then it doesn't matter either way, but if the wood does make a difference, then I'm covered.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Both of you have increased by confidence in the Floyd Rose a bit more, so thank you for that! I just ordered the Suhr with Floyd Rose last night. I had gone to a store that carries Suhr's earlier in the day, tried out a couple to make sure the necks felt good, which they did. I also talked to their tech/owner about getting the Floyd Rose, and he said the tone sounds great either way, clean or overdriven. He said something I was thinking, which is that Suhr would not put them in if they sucked a lot of tone. Also, Suhr actually chose to go back to the original Floyd Rose from the Gotoh Floyd because they said the original Floyd Rose guys got their act together and they now work and sound the best (at least to Suhr).

About pickups, I actually might change pickups in the future. I like things like Dimarzio CrunchLab in the bridge, and something like a Liquifire in the neck, but I know pickups can sound slightly different in a guitar like this compared to my Ibanez. So I'll see what I think of the stock Suhr pickups, then find some Dimarzio's that are at least similar in specs if necessary.

Anyway, I can't wait! I ordered it through Reverb.com, then got incredibly worried once I saw all the bad reviews about Reverb.com. But then I looked at which seller I was going through, and it's a licensed Suhr dealer with all 5-star ratings on Yelp (a place in San Jose, California). So I think I'm good (phew!).

By the way, I need to sell my Ibanez Prestige RG655 (Made in Japan, 2015). REALLY great condition. Besides Facebook and Craigslist, where should I post?
I played a Suhr Modern recently and it's a wonderful guitar. If it had a hardtail bridge, I would've bought it. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Suhr makes quality stuff that I'd happily recommend to anyone.

Selling on Reverb is supposed to be really nice as well from what I've heard.
Quote by bbzswa777
Also, Suhr actually chose to go back to the original Floyd Rose from the Gotoh Floyd because they said the original Floyd Rose guys got their act together and they now work and sound the best (at least to Suhr).

On TGP, Suhr (he's a user) mentioned, back when, that they'd gone to the Gotoh from the OFRs -- I think FR was giving them the Korean OFRs that they were giving to Gibson and Fender, so they went to Gotoh. I didn't know they'd changed back. I wonder if FR gave them a deal on the German versions to get them back as a customer.
^^^ yeah i was wondering why suhr went back to the OFR, i know he changed to gotoh a good while back because of the QC (or lack of it) at schaller.

the gotoh definitely does look like a high quality unit.

that being said i'm not sure i don't slightly prefer the OFR. they're both awesome trems, don't get me wrong, but the OFR just sounds more "right" to my ears (more 80s, basically ) while the gotoh sounds a little more modern. also the gotoh is a bit tighter in use. i keep saying this (and needless to say if i get round to it within the next decade, i'd be surprised ), but i'd like to try a gotoh with the softer OFR springs. just in case it's only the springs which are affecting the feel of the gotoh.

^ that's an interesting point. I thought suhr was talking about the german ones (there was a big post about it a while back: http://www.hugeracksinc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30597&sid=9eb10c50d3c124cad9f8eeab21f63aeb&start=15 on the second page by suhr, which suggests he's talking about the german ones.)

but if they were trying to palm him off with the FRT-x000s then I could understand why he wouldn't be happy. Even if they are as good (I don't think they are), on a guitar of that price you kind of don't want there to be any cost-cutting.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 13, 2016,