So I recently bought a Peavey 6505 Mini Head since I play a lot of metal and hardcore. After messing with the amp I have been having trouble get a decent clean sound and a good high gain setting without tons of feedback. I have been playing a lot of amps with EL34's in them and have been happy with the sound and I was curious how I would go about modding it. Does there brand of tubes matter? And I am running a boss noise suppressor and MXR GT-OD with the amp.
Quote by benjamin0016
So I recently bought a Peavey 6505 Mini Head since I play a lot of metal and hardcore. After messing with the amp I have been having trouble get a decent clean sound and a good high gain setting without tons of feedback. I have been playing a lot of amps with EL34's in them and have been happy with the sound and I was curious how I would go about modding it. Does there brand of tubes matter? And I am running a boss noise suppressor and MXR GT-OD with the amp.
EL34's will not necessarily help with the feedback, face your guitar away from the cab and get some distance from it. I imagine they could bump up the output wattage to give you some more headroom. However, methinks you should be able to get a solid clean tone out of it, although of course you wouldn't buy a 6505 for the clean tones. Try a neck/bridge pup and maybe turn down the volume of the guitar to clean the amp up.

If you do not know the basics on how to mod the amp to take another type of power tubes or modding in general, I would suggest you either take your amp to an experienced tech that can do it for you or just get a different amp altogether.
^^ yeah.

el34s are going to be a pain to mod it for, they have a different number of pins for a start.

i could be wrong but i strongly suspect it's in the "not worth it" camp, especially if you have to pay someone else to do it for you.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Thanks. After searching for some other input it was suggested that I get an MXR EQ pedal and I should get a second noise gate to get the tone I want.
Tubes don't make the all of the sound so don't assume changing tube types to one that amp wasn't designed around is going to solve your problem or even help a little bit.

How high are you running the gain? I find it highly odd that you can't get a good high gain tone with a 6505 AND and OD pedal in front. Also if you're getting to the point that its feeding back a lot I would suspect you might be using too much gain.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
What are the settings you are using?

Maybe the stock tubes aren't to your liking (i.e. garbage).

Getting a good clean tone out of my 5150 took some coaxing and I'd use passable instead of clean. I put a 5751 in the Phase Inverter and a 12DW7 in V2 to lower the gain on the clean channel.

What cabinet/speakers are you using?

For high gain the noise gate and MXR 10-band in the loop was pretty much a necessity for me.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver