Hello everyone!

I have been looking to buy a 6 string guitar and set it up for Drop B. One of the options that I have had presented to me is the Schecter Hellraiser C1-FR. A YouTuber known as "Nik Notcturnal" uses this guitar along with .12-.60 gauge strings (tuned to Drop B) and it sounds amazing! However, I did a bit of research on the guitar and found that it was almost a thousand dollars! ($900 to be exact.) I was wondering if there are any good quality guitars that aren't too too pricey that would be optimal for .12-.60 gauge strings and Drop B.

(Optimal price range: $300 - $700)

I was also wondering if a regular Schecter Demon-6 would be good?

EDIT:
The tone that I would like to reach would be...not sure, a lot of bands I listen to tune in Drop B and have a variety of different tones. I'd say Bullet for My Valentine's new song "Don't Need You" is the tone I would be looking for.

Body shape: I would prefer either Les Paul body shape, or Schecter C body shape.

Number of frets?: I would prefer 24

Brand?: I definitely prefer Schecter, Ibanez, and Epiphone.

Pickups: Definitely Humbuckers. I've read they're great for Metal, which is what I'm going for.

New or used? Doesn't really matter, however, it depends on the condition of the used guitar.

I'm located in Manchester, New Hampshire. There is the "Manchester Music Mill" about 2.5 miles from my house, and I'm a 30 minute drive from Guitar Center Nashua. Those are the two music stores that I know are close to me (within a comfortable driving distance)

Current gear? Right now I have an Ibanez Les Paul copy (I truly forget what it's actually called...but it looks like and sounds similar to a Les Paul) and a Fender Squier Stratocaster (I'm replacing this with the guitar I want in Drop B)
And the amp I have is a Rogue CG 30R Combo...yes, I know... what is someone who likes playing metal doing with a Rogue CG 30R???.
It's a hand-me-down.
I also have a BOSS Mega Distortion pedal.
Last edited by jntwardosky at Nov 12, 2016,
Favorite Artists? - Are there any guitarists whose tone that you'd like to get close to?

Preferences? - What body shapes, neck profiles, brands, and number of frets do you like/want?

Pickups? - Do you want actives, passives, humbuckers, single coils? What configuration are you looking for?

New or Used? - Lots of great guitars out there used, and a guaranteed way to get the most bang for your buck.

Location? - Where are you located? The more detail you can give us, the more we can help you. We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly, because prices and markets fluctuate throughout the world, and we can help further if we know what city you are in to see what used gear is available near you (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc).

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

If you're going to be tuning as low as B, you ideally want something with an extended scale length.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
What bridge do you want?

What kind of humbuckers do you want? Do you want active or passive?

What in your local used market is for sale at your budget that you like the look of?

What other aesthetic features do you want?
Quote by Axelfox
Bridge: Tune-O-Matic

Humbuckers: Passive

The Manchester Music Mill actually has a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 (without the F-R) I would assume that it is used, considering how the price is $400 instead of $700.
Anything with a long scale..... our appears some of the schecters have 26.5 inch scales and it also appears so do the Ibanez iron labels.... I'm sure you can find more but that's what I pulled up with a quick look
i have not had good experience using standard guitars for such low tunings, the best result i have had is using a baritone guitar. my roommate has a PRS SE baritone used, it sounds quite good.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I've drop b tuned my Jackson with heavy strings and even with 25.5 scale it sounded ok.... my cheap schecter I had before I got an atx dropped tuning easily...... my personal advice if you like playing that low is keep an open mind and maybe consider a 7.... not saying do it, as everyone has a preference, but give it an afterthought ....i did, and personally I played both 6 and 7 for awhile, well now I'm buying a 2nd 7 and the 6 is collecting dust
Last edited by kramer242 at Nov 12, 2016,
Quote by jntwardosky

The Manchester Music Mill actually has a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 (without the F-R) I would assume that it is used, considering how the price is $400 instead of $700.

If you're so hard set on Schecter, then it seems like you have answered your own question.

But if drop B tuning is something you're going to be doing on a permanent basis, an extended scale guitar would be better. But if you aren't then anything with a 25.5" scale will be OK. But you need to use much heavier strings which leads to having to make compromises. Shorter scales are less desirable because lower notes in general are going to be less defined than what you'll find on an extended scale. Notes are going to sound duller and duller as you go higher up the neck and an extended scale will help to combat this. A concert grand piano is going to have a more defined low end than a baby grand for this reason; the string length on a concert grand is much longer than a baby grand.

However, baritone guitars are problematic tuning up to standard tuning though as the strings will feel very stiff, string stretches are going to be significantly more difficult if not physically impossible, and you'll need to put a lot of tension on the truss rod to compensate for all of that tension. All of this for little gain in return as your strings do not need to be anywhere near as heavy.

Are there any other guitars used that are similarly priced?
Quote by Axelfox
I have a Schecter BlackJack ATX V1 which is pretty much the same as their C-1 only in a V-shape. It has a 25.5" scale. I paid around $350 shipped from Guitar Center (used, of course, but it was in like-new condition -- even some of the stickers were still on the Floyd Rose compartment lid. Schecters in the Blackjack range are quite nice guitars, especially if you can find one used, which isn't hard.

Anyway, it handles drop B just fine. I use Ernie Ball "Not Even Slinkys" (.12-.56) and it works just fine. I've also used .13-.60 sets with it which I like a tad better for drop B, but I normally tune the guitar to C# Standard so a little slack is nice.

However...you are in bigger need of a better amp, probably. No matter what guitar you get, I don't think you're going to get a decent modern metal tone out of that amp and pedal.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
KailM then not even slinkys are crazy strings, but gotta watch.... even constantly down tuned they threw my neck off
Quote by jntwardosky

Schecter stands out amongst the rest of Asian factory made guitars (non MIA/MIJ), at least that's my experience playing them in shops, and according to reviews people feel the same way. That's if you can get passed the thicker neck. I kind of like it.

Definitely play it if you haven't. If it's in standard, just drop down the top string and riff a little and see if it's something you'd like to own.

My 2 cents on scale length is a 25.5" scale will handle Drop B perfectly fine with at least a .059 or .060. I don't particularly see the point of a longer scale unless you're going below B. I have 25.5" 7 string in drop A and it's heavy and articulate. (I also have a 26.5" 7 string and unfortunately it's not as articulate on the low string for some reason, even with the same pickups. Quite haven't figured that one out yet!)
As much as I've tried, I cannot get a usable string tension for low tunings with my 25.5" guitars. I'd look at 26.5" or longer scale. I'm thinking about getting either an Ibanez RGDIX6MPB or a PRS SE 277.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
DarthV
Jericho guitars are having a sale on some models till the 24th of this month. Beautiful guitars if you ask me.
Quote by DQcrewmember
how do you ban people from posting in your threads?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't

Quote by Zaphikh
"Why are we here?"

"Plastic... asshole."
My advice would be to go to your local guitar store and speak to them about the possibility of trying some out in drop B...I wanted to test out a few 7's in drop G
I called ahead and let them know what I wanted to try...they even went the extra mile and had a few with different string gauges so i could see which i prefer...its worth a try...I dont know what the stores in the US are like though...Id like to think theyre just as accommodating
Guitars
Jackson JS-227
JT Les Paul custom
LTD H-208
Ibanez RG 350
Fender '89 Strat
Worst Encore ever made
Fender acoustic thing

Gear
Boss ME-50 MFX
Peavey VYPYR VIP II
Quote by drunkseph
DarthV
Jericho guitars are having a sale on some models till the 24th of this month. Beautiful guitars if you ask me.

I do like the Avenger, but the blue spalted is sold out. And not sure I'd want to buy sight unseen. At least with the Ibanez & PRS, that I'm interested in, I have a good idea on how the neck will feel.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
If you're so hard set on Schecter, then it seems like you have answered your own question.

But if drop B tuning is something you're going to be doing on a permanent basis, an extended scale guitar would be better. But if you aren't then anything with a 25.5" scale will be OK. But you need to use much heavier strings which leads to having to make compromises. Shorter scales are less desirable because lower notes in general are going to be less defined than what you'll find on an extended scale. Notes are going to sound duller and duller as you go higher up the neck and an extended scale will help to combat this. A concert grand piano is going to have a more defined low end than a baby grand for this reason; the string length on a concert grand is much longer than a baby grand.

However, baritone guitars are problematic tuning up to standard tuning though as the strings will feel very stiff, string stretches are going to be significantly more difficult if not physically impossible, and you'll need to put a lot of tension on the truss rod to compensate for all of that tension. All of this for little gain in return as your strings do not need to be anywhere near as heavy.

Are there any other guitars used that are similarly priced?

Yes, I am going to be permanently tuning the guitar in Drop B.

There are other guitars (used) with similar price, that I am sure of. Schecter and Ibanez are my main preferences
Quote by DarthV
As much as I've tried, I cannot get a usable string tension for low tunings with my 25.5" guitars. I'd look at 26.5" or longer scale. I'm thinking about getting either an Ibanez RGDIX6MPB or a PRS SE 277.

The PRS SE 277 Baritone is one hell of a nice looking guitar. It's around $750 too, which is not too much outside of my budget. However I do see some used ones for $400 or so. I might consider actually buying one.

The Ibanez, however, looks really nice but is very pricey.
I do have one other question:

Would a more preferred option be getting a 7 string, then tuning the first 6 strings up one whole step? (resulting in B standard -> Drop B tuning)
Would the tension on the first 6 strings be too high?
^^^"Standard" tuning on a 7-string is B Standard. If you drop-tune it it would be Drop A. I've found that going up and down in tunings requires patience and trial and error. There is no one "correct" way to setup any guitar. You have to find what feels right to you. Tuning UP will only result in too much tension if you don't compensate by lowering the gauges of the strings you buy. Conversely, if you go down in tuning and don't increase your gauges, the strings will be loose, floppy, and sound muddy.

Any particular reason you're set on "drop" B tuning? I mean, I play in that tuning sometimes, because a lot of bands I like to cover played in B Standard, but setting up my guitar for B standard kind of limits it to just low-end tones. Therefore, I set it up for C# Standard so it's not completely low-tuned, then drop the low string to B and transpose the fingering for those songs that need a low B. But I'd actually prefer standard tuning for everything I play. Just doesn't work for me with my limited number of guitars.

If you're exclusively going to play in B, it might make sense to setup your guitar for B Standard and just use a .13-.62 set or something along those lines.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Nov 21, 2016,