Hello everyone. Does anybody know a good setup for DAW + guitar software such as Guitar Rig?
I want something that will allow me to easily use my launchkey for VST plugins and record guitar with virtual amps.
It doesn't have to be Guitar Rig tho.
I'll be happy with anything that would work because so far I've been trying different DAWs and it's been a nightmare to set up.
I think there are some free DAWs that have VSTi support but I cannot remember them. I think the best cheapest that costs money is Reaper.
I've been using ableton and guitar rig for all my guitar related productions. Ableton also has onboard distortion/amp/cabinet effects that I like to mess around with as well. It doesn't even have to be labeled as guitar VST. Literally any distortion plugin can give you an interesting tone. If you want clean, you can mess around with the EQ and reverb/delay to get something cool.
Reaper + any amp sim really. I use LePou plugins that are free, cause im cheap. I also used Amplitube, Guitar Rig, and a few others. Its also dead simple to use as far as daws go.

You do need some sort of audio interface tho. Do you have one?
Jo┼ża je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
yeah lepou is great, amplitube has some decent sims as well.
Ibanez VBT700
Zoom G1on
Amplitube 4/Reaper (Lepou)

Squier Chris Aiken Precision Bass (EMG GZR)
Ampeg 108B
audacity should still be out there.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Will Lane
It does not support VSTi's.

http://www.audacityteam.org/download/plug-ins/

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/VST_Plug-ins

these links to a support page and the audacity wiki say it will support VST plugins. he shouldn't need virtual instruments to use amp sims, unless i am mistaken.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 13, 2016,
Quote by gumbilicious
http://www.audacityteam.org/download/plug-ins/

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/VST_Plug-ins

these links to a support page and the audacity wiki say it will support VST plugins. he shouldn't need virtual instruments to use amp sims, unless i am mistaken.
From the top link "Audacity can load VST effects (but not VST instruments)". It is just effects, not instruments. And I think it is only a certain "brand" of VST effects as well. Amp sims are VSTi's if I am correct.

I could be wrong, that is just what I remember.
Quote by Will Lane
From the top link "Audacity can load VST effects (but not VST instruments)". It is just effects, not instruments. And I think it is only a certain "brand" of VST effects as well. Amp sims are VSTi's if I am correct.

I could be wrong, that is just what I remember.

why would you think they are VSTi's? amp sims don't synthesize anything, they don't take digital midi signals as input to produce synthesized notes as output. amp sims take an audio signal as input, process it, and produce an audio output. this is an effect (not an instrument) and the previous advice i have given was pertinent to the subject matter.

your point would be noteworthy if OP wanted to use VST virtual synths and i offered audacity as a solution, but the OP wants to run amp sims, which is an effect that can run on audacity.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
why would you think they are VSTi's? amp sims don't synthesize anything, they don't take digital midi signals as input to produce synthesized notes as output. amp sims take an audio signal as input, process it, and produce an audio output. this is an effect (not an instrument) and the previous advice i have given was pertinent to the subject matter.

your point would be noteworthy if OP wanted to use VST virtual synths and i offered audacity as a solution, but the OP wants to run amp sims, which is an effect that can run on audacity.
Apologies, I remember looking into it and finding they would not work with Audacity. Maybe I remembered wrong. Let me see if I can get something going on my CP. I still have a single suspicion though, lets see if its confirmed...
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 13, 2016,
Double post okay, but I have important info! (That everyone probably knew but me).

I was going to try BIAS through Audacity when I saw that you no longer need a DAW for Amps or FX as they have standalone softwares (maybe the others too, not sure). https://www.positivegrid.com/2016/06/positive-grid-launches-bias-amp-standalone/ My suspicion with Audacity is that the effects plug-ins can only be applied AFTER the track is recorded, so all you could really do is "re-amping". But that does not really matter presuming BIAS can support itself, also presuming you would want to use BIAS.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 13, 2016,
gumbilicious
unless my version is out of date, Audacity will not load any VST in real time as a track effect, so it is completely useless. Its VST use is limited to rendering a section or the whole track with the effect.

Quote by gorkyporky
Reaper + any amp sim really. I use LePou plugins that are free, cause im cheap. I also used Amplitube, Guitar Rig, and a few others. Its also dead simple to use as far as daws go.

You do need some sort of audio interface tho. Do you have one?

Pretty much all this

Reaper is great because you can continue to use it after the "trial". I'd look into Bias, as others have said, or you can go the free VST route, but you'll need a impulse loader and impulses also to mimic the sound of a cab. It can all get kind of complicated.

Guitar Rig is great for clean and low gain. It's decent at high gain but there are better. The TSE X50 v2 is a good all in one suite, but I think it's more suited for metal.
Quote by Ignite
gumbilicious unless my version is out of date, Audacity will not load any VST in real time as a track effect, so it is completely useless. Its VST use is limited to rendering a section or the whole track with the effect.

Pretty much all this

Reaper is great because you can continue to use it after the "trial". I'd look into Bias, as others have said, or you can go the free VST route, but you'll need a impulse loader and impulses also to mimic the sound of a cab. It can all get kind of complicated.

Guitar Rig is great for clean and low gain. It's decent at high gain but there are better. The TSE X50 v2 is a good all in one suite, but I think it's more suited for metal.
+1. I just tried BIAS FX and Amps and I thought they were both reasonable sound-wise, surely great for practicing and maybe can get some professional uses out of it. They are both $59 each for the normal packages at the moment, and for the price I think that is pretty solid for what you get. The Ipad version is really cheap but I do not know how the quality would suffer. The more expensive packages are the only ones that have MIDI support though, from what I see. If you get a DAW like Reaper and use the VST version of BIAS, then you are fine there.

Amps had a lot of tweakbility but if you are going to get just one, I would say FX. Without being able to have just basic reverb, delay, etc. on Amps was kind of discouraging. The tones were pretty neat though. You can integrate FX and Amps but you would have to buy both. FX was funner to play around with overall. If you wanted to add effects post-recording to a more "real" amp sound, then Amps. The latency for both softwares, at reasonable bit rates, was negligible after playing a short while (around 10ms).

However because of that, and the general nature of the software and also the lack of a real guitar amp interacting with the guitar, none of it felt "real". But at BIAS' price point, I do not really blame it. I imagine using large monitors instead of headphones, like I was, would help with that to some degree.

However, you WILL need an Audio Interface for any of these kind of softwares as gorkyporky said, and also some solid, studio grade-ish headphones. I think you can use one of the no-brand "guitar link" interfaces which are really cheap, but again not sure on quality. I used a Mackie Onyx Blackjack. Definitely though, it is probably the most versatile way to model tones, sounding pretty good, and experiment, all at the very cheap price point. That said, I have only tried BIAS and have no comparison to Guitar Rig or anything else of the sort.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 14, 2016,
Audacity won't load vst's in real time. I'd suggest Mixcraft, N-Track or Reaper on the cheap.

As far as the sims themselves, LePou amp sims with NadIR cab loaded with the Kalthallen free wav impulses is a good start.

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/

http://cabs.kalthallen.de/kalthallen_free.html

http://www.igniteamps.com/en/audio-plug-ins