I've barely played any guitar in the last 10 or so years but Lately I've been listening to a lot of prog metal and im pretty sure I want to pull the trigger on an entry level 8 string. The problem for me is I've never seen one in person till today and there was only one in my town. A RG8. Idk what to think of it because I've never played any other 8's. From what I've read so far I'm really leaning towards the Schecter Omen. It has a ton of great reviews online and I also like the look a lot better than the ibanez. I saw there is also a Schecter demon 8 string which looks like a little higher quality but I'm not sure what the differences are. anyone know the difference between the two?

So due to them being basically non existent in my area I'm having a hard time deciding between the RG8 I played at guitar center, the Two Schecters I mentioned (the demon is the highest priced I've looked at and is about as much as I want to spend), but also there is an ESP Javier Reyes 208 on Craigslist about an hour away from me. I hate to drive an hour to look at a guitar I don't even know how to play yet but I'm definitely open to it I just haven't really seen any reviews on the cheaper Reyes model.

I appreciate any input y'all have and I'm open to any other suggestions you might have. Thanks
So what is your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
dannyalcatraz

its hard to say since there arent any in my area to play. id like to stay under $500 considering i havent played regularly in years and i dont know how well ill adapt to an 8 string, but if i played one and just fell in love with it id be willing to spend a little more.
The Demon might have some binding, but the main difference would be pickups. The Omen is the entry level schecter and has their stock pickups. The demon line usually has Duncan Designed pickups which seem to be all actives.

But whats your budget? I like Schecter, but I know Agile has some decently priced stuff that is made in Korea like a lot of Schecters.
Guitars:
Squire Bullet Strat, Schecter Damien 6, Washburn WG-587 & RX10
Amp/Effects:
Peavy Vypyr 30, ISP Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
bjgrifter

would like to stay under $500. yeah I did see that the Demon has active Duncan's. wondering if its worth the price difference or if the money would be better spent upgrading the omen's stock pickups. im going to compare the two better tonight. im not even sure what the price difference beween them is.

Ive seen a lot of people suggest Agile but im hesitant just because id never heard of them before looking into 8 strings and there is no where to look at or play one in my area.
Quote by stevencjames88

Ive seen a lot of people suggest Agile but im hesitant just because id never heard of them before looking into 8 strings and there is no where to look at or play one in my area.

Too bad. No guts, no glory.

Kurt (RondoMusic) has traditionally had a pretty decent return policy over the years, the guitars have been a surprisingly great value for the money, and I've ended up with several of them. There's a *reason* that you've seen a lot of people suggest Agile.

I'm surprised that there are all that many eight string *anythings* to play in most areas. Rondo (and Kurt) have been pretty much at the forefront of ERG guitars for reasonable money, and are part of the reason that larger manufacturers have been dipping their toe into these waters. Rondo has 7, 8, 9 and 10-string guitars with and without trems, with and without active pickups. And for the last few years they've been one of the very few with multi-scale (fan-fret) instruments at reasonable prices (available in the same range of string count, etc.). I'd have to suggest that it's the major manufacturers following Rondo's lead in this.

http://www.rondomusic.com/8StringGuitars.html
Quote by stevencjames88
bjgrifter

would like to stay under $500. yeah I did see that the Demon has active Duncan's. wondering if its worth the price difference or if the money would be better spent upgrading the omen's stock pickups. im going to compare the two better tonight. im not even sure what the price difference beween them is.

True. That said, when it comes to guitars, many people don't know past Fender and Gibson. There are a lot of guitar companies, but just because you haven't heard of them doesn't necessarily mean they're bad. A touch over $300 for a new 8-string from a company that seems to have a fair amount of satisfied customers is a really good thing. I'd like the Jackson HT series, but the price is a bit steep, no matter how much I like Periphery. $3k just isn't happening, but $300 is well within consideration.

Of course, if you're still uncomfortable going that route, getting the Omen 8 and doing a pickup swap isn't a bad solution either. 8-string pickups are less common, so your options can be slim but EMG, DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan all have them, as well as boutique brands like Bareknuckle .
Guitars:
Squire Bullet Strat, Schecter Damien 6, Washburn WG-587 & RX10
Amp/Effects:
Peavy Vypyr 30, ISP Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
Thanks for the input guys I'm gonna keep looking in to them and I guess I won't write off the agile just yet
My input is to buy the Agile. You're basically just comparing specs and looks at this point and Agile wins the spec sheet comparison hands down, especially for the price. The Septor Elite 827 DNC is $549 - Neck Through, Ebony Fretboard, real Seymour Duncan Active Blackouts, Grover Tuners, made in Korea. You can even add a hard shell case for $53 additional.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Hmmmmm I just came across a used Schecter Blackjack ATX. I'm really loving the look of the Schecters. I didn't even know this model existed till I found this one. Made in S. Korea, 3 piece set neck w/ carbon fiber rods, active Seymour Duncans, locking tuners, hipshot bridge. I really like the inlays, single lightning bolt inlay on the 12th fret, and glow in the dark inlays on the side of the neck. Only thing I don't like is it is 28" scale. They're asking $449. New they are just under $1000. If it was here at my local store I would have already left work to go get it.

But now after looking at the Agile for $549, it seems kinda silly to pay $100 less for a used guitar. The Septor really is a beautiful guitar too. I'm not crazy about the headstock design but it's not a deal breaker. And I really like that it's only 27".

Aghghghghghhhdjdkdlsjxjnsshxu