A new creation of mine the shovel guitar. $10 spade and an $8 Chinese pup. Everything else was just spare parts I had laying atround. Tuners are old Squier ones. Bourns pots and a Switchcraft jack. The pup is way too microphonic but I got away with it at last night's gig.
The nut and the bridge were made from some chopped down angle iron. Fret markers are just filed and filled with iink.

Here''s a video of a Rose Tattoo classic we played last night.

It's obviously a slide only guitar. In the vid it is just going through my Amplifire straight into the desk.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 12, 2016,
Awesome.

I love it. I mean I really dig it. You have quite a handle on this kind of creativity. Glad you've got a foothold on it. Doesn't look like a backbreaker either. But can it do Tool?

Great idea Cath.

You're truly a badass Cathbard, not many folks can rock a frickin' shovel, that was impressive!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
wassup with the heat stressed areas around the knobs, jack, bridge and pickups. looks like you had to heat treat it or do some welding on it. you tack weld a little box on the back for the control cavity or something?

definitely a cool take on the cigar box guitar.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I saw a shovel guitar on youtube but it was only three string. I need four strings at least really. Two strings for rhythm two for lead. So it's tuned like normal open E but missing the two middle strings. So EBBE. Pretty easy to play actually; well it is for somebody used to playing in open E.

The shovel was case hardened. I had to heat treat it so I could drill it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 13, 2016,
Bourns pots? Switchcraft jack? You just had to build a high-end instrument, didn't you?

Seriously; very cool!
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
Cathbard

Interesting tuning. Everyone seems to have different ideas about three- and four-string tunings. I've got my uke in open A with 13-36 strings, the same intervals as the top four strings of open G but a tone higher. It is good for trad blues style slide, and although the strings are fairly slack, it is manageable on the 15" scale.
FatalGear41 Its what I had in my stores. I spent just $18 on it. Everything else were just spares or junk. The piece of timber that the tuners are fitted too is a piece of Mirbau decking. I had to route it out a bit but it's just a piece of junk I had lying around.

Tony Done It's just what made sense to me. I normally play slide in open E. With this tuning I'm just missing the third. Which is good in another way too. I can play in minor keys much easier. I may not be able to play a minor chord but fifths go over anything.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You aren't bad on the meat whistle man, sounded pretty good! Definitely didn't seem to have any problems playing the thing, very cool
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Talk about burying the mix!

Cool peoject Cath. It sounds awesome.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
hahahahaha awesome
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Cathbard
The shovel was case hardened. I had to heat treat it so I could drill it.

so obvious, should have put two and two together.

-ae
I got a few comments at the gig including a "so much for the tone wood bullshit huh?"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
hahahaha
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

tone woods?

-ae
When I saw the thread title I thought it'd be something like this:

But this is more fun
it's got a wood handle right?

probably alder from the sounds of it.

Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification