Found my amp stuggling a bit throughout this week, decided to upgrade. I was think about a stack because i can get more power cheaper, but i'm open to a combo. Tube would be preferable although i know that in my price range i'm not going to get a whole lot of that. I like the micro terror because of the tube preamp and decent power (20watts). Price range would be $500 AUD for the lot. Any suggestions??

Also, how much volume can a laney Cub 10 or vox ac4 provide?
they should be the only one's effecting the amp.
Last edited by djlewis2 at Nov 13, 2016,
i haven't tried either but most likely well over 100dB, at least with an efficient speaker. you'll probably be getting close to 110dB with the cub. clean headroom is the thing, though- they most likely won't be clean at that volume.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by djlewis2
Found my amp stuggling a bit throughout this week, decided to upgrade. I was think about a stack because i can get more power cheaper, but i'm open to a combo. Tube would be preferable although i know that in my price range i'm not going to get a whole lot of that. I like the micro terror because of the tube preamp and decent power (20watts). Price range would be $500 AUD for the lot. Any suggestions??

Also, how much volume can a laney Cub 10 or vox ac4 provide?
What genres do you play? Are you doing gigs with your amp unmic'd?
I play most genres, nothing super heavy metal. I may be playing some gigs without the amp hooked up, but they'll only be small, won't have to be super loud.

Also, would an AC15C1 for around $500AUD be a good deal?
Last edited by djlewis2 at Nov 14, 2016,
Quote by djlewis2
I play most genres, nothing super heavy metal. I may be playing some gigs without the amp hooked up, but they'll only be small, won't have to be super loud.

Also, would an AC15C1 for around $500AUD be a good deal?
That is not a bad price for the AC15C1. However, if you are playing a rock gig it will have trouble keeping up, especially if you are trying to keep the amp clean. If you are able to mic the amp up for bigger gigs like that, that does not really matter though. I love the VOX sound but it is not for everyone.

You may also want to look into the Peavey Valveking (used) as they are around $250 USD (~$330 AUD), 50w, and has a Fender and Marshall voicing. Should be able to keep up in a full band situation easy, although you likely will want to get a better speaker for it as the stock speaker is awful (another ~$150 off your budget). Also another contender is the Peavey Classic 30, which is VOX-ish but kind of a voicing of its own.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 14, 2016,
Yeah, I too like the Vox style. I just had a look at the peavey amps, and i couldnt find anything second hand. i'll keep an eye out but they may be out of contention.
Anyything else?
I've also noticed the AV series, are they any good?
Last edited by djlewis2 at Nov 14, 2016,