I've been playing acoustic guitar for almost 20 years.

I stopped playing for a few months and my callouses got soft.

I started playing again recently and was surprised by how much it hurt. It almost felt like starting from scratch.

But I persevered and kept playing every day, slowly rebuilding my callouses.

The tip of my middle finger, however, has become so sore that it now hurts to the touch. I experience a really sharp pain even by poking it. I can only play guitar for 5 minutes or so before it becomes too much to bear.

Questions:

WTF?

Has anyone experienced this?

Could this be nerve damage or something?

Should I keep pushing myself to play every day, or is there a risk of making it worse?

Any tips?

Thanks.
Stop playing for a few days and it will go away. This has happened to me too, also on my middle finger.
Yep I've had that same thing on occasion. No clue what it is. Usually goes away in less than a few days.
I just came across my old post here. Thanks to the two people who responded.

I'll post a quick update in case anyone else has a similar experience and searches the forum for answers.

A day or two after I posted this, I ended up getting what appeared to be a small puddle of blood under the skin of the sore finger. Burst blood vessel? I have no clue but true story.

But the good news is, as I was advised, the pain went away within a short time and I actually forgot all about it.

\m/ (~.~) \m/ 
I like people who come back and answer their own questions
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by Gatecrasher53
I like people who come back and answer their own questions

Yeah, me too. I miss the old old-time days of internet forums when people shared information and experiences.

Back in '97 I thought the internet was the best thing ever, and that everyone would come to see how useful it was.

I did not foresee that the internet would reach critical mass through smartphone addiction, content absorption rather that creation, and that what little content would be created by individuals would be self-serving blustering to enhance one's social media resume while trying to impress other people who are too distracted to give a fux.

/curmudgeon

Thanks for your comment.
Last edited by stevland at Sep 4, 2017,
Quote by stevland
Yeah, me too. I miss the old old-time days of internet forums when people shared information and experiences.

Back in '97 I thought the internet was the best thing ever, and that everyone would come to see how useful it was.

I did not foresee that the internet would reach critical mass through smartphone addiction, content absorption rather that creation, and that what little content would be created by individuals would be self-serving blustering to enhance one's social media resume while trying to impress other people who are too distracted to give a fux.

/curmudgeon

Thanks for your comment.

... everything okay at home?
Quote by stevland
I just came across my old post here. Thanks to the two people who responded.

I'll post a quick update in case anyone else has a similar experience and searches the forum for answers.

A day or two after I posted this, I ended up getting what appeared to be a small puddle of blood under the skin of the sore finger. Burst blood vessel? I have no clue but true story.

But the good news is, as I was advised, the pain went away within a short time and I actually forgot all about it.

\m/ (~.~) \m/ 

Just sounds like a blood blister.
My God, it's full of stars!
yeah my middle finger was sore

after i banged ur mum last nite AYYYY
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
yeah my middle finger was sore
after i banged ur mum last nite AYYYY

Dude. That's awesome! I didn't realize that my Mom is still getting any. And it sounds like you really gave it to her.

And it's so open-minded of you to bang a senior citizen. Something tells me that you are far younger than her. Hell, you sound a lot younger than ME!

Baby Joel Stud Muffin to the Golden Girls. Yeah, bud! 
Quote by Dreadnought
Just sounds like a blood blister.

Yeah, it makes sense.... you must be right.

Now that I think about it, I've had blood blisters before, but only as a result of a severe impact of a dense object. And after the initial pain of impact wore off, I don't recall them hurting like this one did. It didn't hurt all of the time, but if I accidentally used my finger the wrong way I'd get an unbelievably sharp pain. And it didn't swell at all, but perhaps it couldn't as it was under a callus.

But maybe I'm just a big baby. This guys calluses look way softer than mine, but it sure didn't seem to bother him:
i've had a blood blister before from trapping my finger in a vice and it was painful but i'm not sure if it was painful because of the blister or because of trapping my finger in a vice

inb4 cool story bro
Quote by stevland
And it sounds like you really gave it to her.

Oh god that made me laugh so much

Quote by kalypto
i've had a blood blister before from trapping my finger in a vice and it was painful but i'm not sure if it was painful because of the blister or because of trapping my finger in a vice

inb4 cool story bro

Cool sto- oh
Quote by kalypto

inb4 cool story bro

I did something similar but more dumb

Was idly playing with the handle/pole thing of the vice not really paying attention, was spinning it with my thumb by pushing it forward so it wouldn't move (the pole could slide in the socket/turny thing), it slips while at 12 o'clock position and the end slammed into my thumb, pinching it super hard. Not only did it make a load of noise and everyone looked at me, it also really hurt and I had a massive blood blister
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Whoa these stories!

I once drilled through my index finger. Long story. Not a bad story, but long.

Anyway, after it was all said and done and stitched up and wrapped in a big thick pile of gauze I was instructed to keep it elevated. So that was rather embarrassing. And, of course, anyone who saw me asked me what had happened. So I had to tell the damn story over and over again.

But one person who heard my story made me feel a lot better about my situation. He said,

"That's nuthin. A buddy of mine he shot himself through the finger with a nail gun. A couple of years later he's demonstrating to someone how it happened, and he shot himself again. Same finger."

Well then stop fucking your best friend's butthole with it.
Quote by WaterGod
Well then stop fucking your best friend's butthole with it.

^ THIS guy.
I am a new participant in
 the UG forums. Lot of great people. But — is it just me, or  — is there also a fairly serious troll infestation up in here?
Quote by stevland
I am a new participant in
 the UG forums. Lot of great people. But — is it just me, or  — is there also a fairly serious troll infestation up in here?

Eh, they're mostly alright, you just need to troll them right back and then they'll accept you as one of a number of recurring faces around here.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.