Hello guys, i am planning on buying my first amp. Up to now i played on a fender mustang 3 which belongs to my uncle. but since i started a band i thought that i needed my very own amp!

My problem: i cant decide. im leaning towards a marshall dsl100h or a jvm410. my budget for head and cab is about 2000€ and the style of music i play is described as 80s hard rock. But it would be nice if i also got some metallica-like tones and acceptable clean sounds out of this amp.

Please help me and give me some tips on what i should buy! My first thread btw...
you have a lot of options for 2000 euros

that's a lot of money to spend on a first tube amp. of course, i did exactly the same so i'm not sure i'm the best person to attempt to talk you out of it

if you don't want to spend that much, the jet city stuff on thomann is very good for not very much money- you're talking around 550 Euros for the 50 watt head and harley benton g212 vintage cabinet with vintage 30 speakers. it's basically a cheaper soldano (which was one of the very common 80s amps, alongside hot-rodded marshalls). of course, with 2000 euros you may be not too far off a "real" soldano, too.

i haven't tried the newer dsl but based on the older one it might be slightly better than the jvm for 80s hard rock. but i could be wrong on that.

you'd also want to look into the brands making hot-rod marshall-style amps. laney does a few (the GH series, though there's a new version out and I don't know what it's like), then you have stuff like splawn, fargen, custom audio electronics, etc.. They might be over budget, though, your budget is kind of between the cheaper stuff and the dearer stuff.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I bought a brand new dsl100h with a mx412 cab and a second hand jvm210h and 1960 cab to compare. I kept the jvm, you can definitely get the tones you want. Also my first tube amp.
Dave_Mc thanks for your answer man so would you suggest to get a harley benton cab instead of a marshall one or is there a huge difference between them?
wellmandellie thanks for your reply what didnt you specifically like about the dsl in comparison to the jvm?
Quote by EchoHawk97
Dave_Mc thanks for your answer man so would you suggest to get a harley benton cab instead of a marshall one or is there a huge difference between them?

it really depends on the speakers you want. the harley benton comes with vintage 30s- it's crazy good value if you like and want vintage 30s (it costs little more than two vintage 30s alone at retail prices!), but if you don't like vintage 30s then it's not a good deal

v30s are very middy and have a very tight bass and a lopped-off high end. they sound pretty good with the jet city but they're maybe a little more on the modern end of things than for the tones you want. something with a bit more bite on the high end and not just so prominent mids might be better for 80s rock tones. that being said i think slash uses v30s so...

some people don't really like how they look. to be fair, they don't look great.

i mean if you're willing to spend for the expensive cabs they're probably better (though you're probably talking more expensive than the marshall ones, but i could be wrong), but the HB ones are decent ones for a really good price.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 13, 2016,
Quote by EchoHawk97
wellmandellie thanks for your reply what didnt you specifically like about the dsl in comparison to the jvm?

I liked the direct XLR out for recording , and to me it had a better clean sound and you can get about the same tone from it on the clean yellow mode. It also has potential for much more gain. The t75s in the 1960 are a bit sharp at high volumes, so I'm thinking of getting two v30 and doing an x pattern.
Last edited by wellmandellie at Nov 16, 2016,
EchoHawk97

You sound like you're on the right track here. Also look into Engl. If I was in Europe that's the route I'd go. Something like a PowerBall II. I use Peavey's simulation of it in ReValver often and if the amp is close to the software you should be golden. Nice cleans and channel 2 Crunch is where you'll want the 80's crunch sound. Channel 3 I use for classic Thrash metal.

Engl has several smaller heads for less that should work fine - I'm just not too familiar with the Fireballs, Ironballs, E651 Artist, etc.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
I don't like the JVM's. DSL's are nice overall. with that budget I don't know if i would be looking at a DSL.

Have you thought of orange? slightly different tones but my Rockerverb sees a lot of use.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/