Howdy folks!

After being mostly a solid body guy for most of my time playing the guitar, I figured I needed to diversify my collection a bit. I've always been a fan of how semi-hollow guitars looked so I thought I would dive in and grab one for myself. I ended up trying a few guitars at different stores and surprisingly, this one was the best of the bunch. So I took it home with me

It's an Epiphone Dot Studio LE Gloss. It's very similar to your regular Dots with the differences being: No fret markers, no body binding, no pickguard and a more simple control layout. The guitar is laminate with a center block, a rosewood fretboard, mahogany neck and 2x Epiphone humbuckers with alnico magnets. The tuners are Grover Rotomatics and the guitar comes loaded with locking hardware which I was surprised and happy about.The guitar is quite loud and resonant unplugged and plays really nice all up the neck after a set up. It's advertised as having a slim taper 'D' profile neck but it feels a little thicker compared to some of the other Epiphones I've played (even though those guitars are also listed with a slim taper). The stock Epiphone humbuckers sound pretty good as well. The bridge is a little hot for my tastes but the neck pickup is nice and clear which is more important to me overall.

I'm usually a modding kind of guy when it comes to gear. Most of my guitars have little things swapped out here and there but I think this one might end up staying stock. I don't really have any issues with it and I dig the cosmetics. The only thing I would do in the future is maybe enlarge the pot holes and install some CTS pots or maybe get an ABR bridge (just for looks). Anyway I am super happy with it and I'm thinking this guitar gets a little more playtime than the guitar I sold it for!

If anybody is interested, I recorded a quick little clip of it this morning for your listening (dis)pleasure. I'm a bit of a hack so apologies in advanced

http://soundcloud.com/guitarbites/dot-five

Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Sweet! I had a buddy with a Dot, loved that guitar. Of course, he modded it to hell and back, so I'm not sure how I would have like the original

Regardless, it sounds like a winner. HNGD
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Sweet! I had a buddy with a Dot, loved that guitar. Of course, he modded it to hell and back, so I'm not sure how I would have like the original

Regardless, it sounds like a winner. HNGD

Thanks! I mean Im sure down the road I will swap stuff but for now Im pretty chuffed with it. Now I have 2 red Epiphones to distract me.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I really like the look of these.It reminds me of an ES333 i had years ago.
Sounds nice too.I had a dot in Sunburst(not the Studio) but I didn't really like it.I ended up selling it and getting a Sheraton but i might have to try one of these out.
HNGD!
2016 Gibson Les Paul Traditional T in Light Burst
'77 Hardtail Strat
Epiphone Sheraton MIK Duncan '59's
MIJ 84/85 Tele
MIM Std Tele
Fender Blues Jnr
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Nice stuff, HNGD

Take Five is my go-to for bluffing jazz, too

Thanks. It was either that or Autumn Leaves

Quote by EyeballPaul
I really like the look of these.It reminds me of an ES333 i had years ago.
Sounds nice too.I had a dot in Sunburst(not the Studio) but I didn't really like it.I ended up selling it and getting a Sheraton but i might have to try one of these out.
HNGD!

Thanks! I didnt really like the other Epiphones I tried either tbh. This one killed though.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Thanks. It was either that or Autumn Leaves
Gosh, I feel that
Not the look I'd go for, but it sounds nice for sure! Enjoy!
Mayones Regius
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler
Oh my! now there's a plain Jane sexy little sleeper, Very easy on the eyes, I like it. Has that come play with me look, play with her hard, They like that,
I don't even know autumn leaves

i know take five, though, nice

sweet guitar too
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by I K0nijn I
Not the look I'd go for, but it sounds nice for sure! Enjoy!

Thanks!

Quote by nastytroll
Oh my! now there's a plain Jane sexy little sleeper, Very easy on the eyes, I like it. Has that come play with me look, play with her hard, They like that,

Exactly the reason why I dig it as well. Thanks man

Quote by Dave_Mc
I don't even know autumn leaves

i know take five, though, nice

sweet guitar too

Its what you learn after Take Five

Thank you
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Fretboard looks like someone dyed the rosewood black.

They should've called this guitar the internet version because of the lack of punctuation.

What bridge were you thinking of getting? Gotoh? I like Gotoh. Gotoh is good. Get a Gotoh.

You might also want to replace the nut with a TUSQ one as Epiphones often use hollow plastic. And while the pots are out, you can upgrade the jack and switch with Switchcraft ones. Just be ready to empty your pocket change into the swear jar as you do so.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Fretboard looks like someone dyed the rosewood black.

They should've called this guitar the internet version because of the lack of punctuation.

What bridge were you thinking of getting? Gotoh? I like Gotoh. Gotoh is good. Get a Gotoh.

You might also want to replace the nut with a TUSQ one as Epiphones often use hollow plastic. And while the pots are out, you can upgrade the jack and switch with Switchcraft ones. Just be ready to empty your pocket change into the swear jar as you do so.

Thank you sir. Im a sucker for dark boards.

Probably a Gotoh. I already had a Gotoh ABR on my Gladiator and it worked well. Also yeah Ill have tons of fun working through that F hole
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Its what you learn after Take Five

Thank you

hahahahahahahahaha
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Also yeah Ill have tons of fun working through that F hole

I love working on f-holes.

couldn't resist
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What no Bigsby? Just kidding I have been wanting a semi-hollow for a while now but I have just not got around to saving up for one. My brother bought a Gretsch Electromatic a couple of years back and it is sweet I had my eye on an Epiphone Emeperor Swingster some years ago TBH that one is still on my GAS list.

I like the dark board and simple controls on that DOT congrats HNGD!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
What no Bigsby? Just kidding I have been wanting a semi-hollow for a while now but I have just not got around to saving up for one. My brother bought a Gretsch Electromatic a couple of years back and it is sweet I had my eye on an Epiphone Emeperor Swingster some years ago TBH that one is still on my GAS list.

I like the dark board and simple controls on that DOT congrats HNGD!

I'd love a Bigsby but a B7 and a Vibramate kit would probably cost more than the whole guitar! Maybe a B3 and a Towner bar or something (or a Maestro just for looks).

But yeah I'm glad I grabbed this one. It's pretty much everything I want out of a semi-hollow

Quote by trashedlostfdup
I love working on f-holes.

couldn't resist

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Great little guitars.

My brother had the more showy Dot and its brilliant thing.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I use a dot, can't really complain much since i'm not dropping the big bucks, if i was really keen on going ham for a jazz guitar i would get a godin multiac or some shit. But honestly i have had some great tones come out of the dot, especially with some half-wound strings on there.
This might be blasphemous but i play just as much "metal" with the dot as i do jazz, its pretty versatile in my opinion, glad you like it!

Also your recording reminded of something you guys might dig if you haven't heard before, Take 5 latinized!!

Right now "The Royal Scam" and "Black Future"
Quote by Tom 1.0
Great little guitars.

My brother had the more showy Dot and its brilliant thing.

Yeah I mean, I definitely have more fancy guitars but I really dig this one a lot.

Quote by Clydelee
I use a dot, can't really complain much since i'm not dropping the big bucks, if i was really keen on going ham for a jazz guitar i would get a godin multiac or some shit. But honestly i have had some great tones come out of the dot, especially with some half-wound strings on there.
This might be blasphemous but i play just as much "metal" with the dot as i do jazz, its pretty versatile in my opinion, glad you like it!

Also your recording reminded of something you guys might dig if you haven't heard before, Take 5 latinized!!

See I haven't really been too crazy about Godins. I know they get a ton of love on here but I've never really been too into them. My favorite Godin is probably a Freeway Classic or maybe the Redline series.

On the metal front I mean it sounds pretty nice through my Rectoverb

The video is not showing up but is it the Tito Puente version?
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
It's always a nice surprise when the guitar that just fits is also not that expensive.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
My favorite things about it:

No bindings
That sexy sterile fretboard
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Nice looking axe.
Guitars:
Squire Bullet Strat, Schecter Damien 6, Washburn WG-587 & RX10
Amp/Effects:
Peavy Vypyr 30, ISP Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
Nice! I bought the tomato red one off of a buddy earlier this year. Nice guitars to play. I added some cherry blossom fretboard decals since it's the perfect fretboard to do so on.
H4T3BR33D3R

Artist is "Trio Da Paz", the song (Take 5) should be on youtube on a topic channel of them, sorry the video didn't load in. But i will check out that Tito Puente version though, cheers.
Right now "The Royal Scam" and "Black Future"
Quote by Clydelee
H4T3BR33D3R

Artist is "Trio Da Paz", the song (Take 5) should be on youtube on a topic channel of them, sorry the video didn't load in. But i will check out that Tito Puente version though, cheers.

Rodrigo Y Gabriela do a one/take 5 medley that's pretty good. They do two versions though. The live in Manchester and Dublin is better than the re-foc version in my opinion.
Last edited by esky15 at Nov 14, 2016,
Quote by slapsymcdougal
It's always a nice surprise when the guitar that just fits is also not that expensive.

Right?

Mind you I really wanted to like the fancier ones but this Dot was the mojo-body

Quote by Dreadnought
My favorite things about it:

No bindings
That sexy sterile fretboard

Coincidentally those are a few of my favorite things about it was well.

I hate light and washed out looking rosewood boards so the darker the better.

Quote by bjgrifter
Nice looking axe.

Thanks!

Quote by esky15
Nice! I bought the tomato red one off of a buddy earlier this year. Nice guitars to play. I added some cherry blossom fretboard decals since it's the perfect fretboard to do so on.

Nice! Yeah I bet those markers look really awesome.

Quote by monwobobbo
nice enjoy

Thank you sir
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster