I've got a Wampler Hot Wired V2 dual overdrive/distortion pedal on my board at the moment, that I bought before I had an amp with a good gain channel. Back then it was the backbone of my sound, but now I only ever use the overdrive channel as a soft crunch sound either on its own or as a bit of a boost to my amps gain channel.

As I NEVER use the distortion channel (sounds almost identical to my old Marshall JCM900, which I got rid of due to a dislike of the gain channel) it seems stupid to have such a pricey pedal that I'm only using half of.

The sort of crunch I'm using it for is almost a Fender/tweed kind of sound. I'm not too great at describing it..

I've heard some good things about the MXR Custom Badass Modified Overdrive, wondering if there are any other recommendations out there? I always see people suggesting stuff like the Timmy, but I want something I can buy right away, something easily available and preferably not way over the £100 mark!

Thanks for any suggestions
PRS SE Chris Robertson
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)
Fender Stratocaster

PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
i haven't tried it but i think the custom badass is a glorified boss sd1
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Will Lane
Wampler has a "Tweed" pedal. https://wamplerpedals.com/tweed-57 What amp would you be using it most with, the Laney L20H?

It'll be going through the Laney all the time, yeah. I'm looking at trying out a Euphoria.. Annoyingly I don't have any Wampler dealer local to me so I can try many of them out or I'd try the Tweed 57. From what I can tell the Euphoria is a little more versatile while still handling that sort of sound quite nicely..

Have you tried it out yourself?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
Fender Stratocaster

PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

problem with wampler is they're pushing £200 here in the UK.

just be careful with pedal names- just because a pedal is named after an amp doesn't mean it was actually designed to sound like that amp or you'll actually like it with your own amp. Not so much with wampler- far as i'm aware he's one of the good guys and actually does design his pedals and does design them to sound like the amps in question, but some other manufacturers take a pre-existing circuit, tweak it slightly (sometimes *very* slightly), bung a fancy name onto it and try to sell it for $$$$$.

what i'm basically saying is, while you obviously probably don't want to be looking at, say, the metal zone, don't rule out stuff which is just called an overdrive because it doesn't have "tweed" in its name. kind of thing.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
problem with wampler is they're pushing £200 here in the UK.

just be careful with pedal names- just because a pedal is named after an amp doesn't mean it was actually designed to sound like that amp or you'll actually like it with your own amp. Not so much with wampler- far as i'm aware he's one of the good guys and actually does design his pedals and does design them to sound like the amps in question, but some other manufacturers take a pre-existing circuit, tweak it slightly (sometimes *very* slightly), bung a fancy name onto it and try to sell it for $$$$$.

what i'm basically saying is, while you obviously probably don't want to be looking at, say, the metal zone, don't rule out stuff which is just called an overdrive because it doesn't have "tweed" in its name. kind of thing.

Sound advice, but I was only using tweed as a reference point In fact I'd rather not have something that was modelled to emulate one specific amp as I'd feel too restricted! I've ordered a Euphoria to try out as it seems pretty versatile, but have a Clarksdale in mind as well.. Obviously I'd be totally open to any other brand suggestions, I've just fiddled with so so many overdrives in the last 10 years and everything under £100 has just disappointed me in one way or another..
PRS SE Chris Robertson
Fender Stratocaster

PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

clarksdale's a glorified tubescreamer, isn't it?
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman