Before dropping the cash for BIAS Desktop I bought the iPad app for a few bucks. I am using it with a simple guitar rig adapter.

My question is does the iPad app give a true representation of what BIAS desktop will offer? I will be using it as a vst plugin with ProTools.

I have an Avid Eleven rack however I just not loving it as much as I used too. I know kemper and Fractal are the tits when it comes to modeling, however I am wondering if BIAS would be even close. I won't be using it live, just for bedroom playing and recording into PT.

Any thoughts would be helpful.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
The desktop, because of the matching feature, is much better IMO. The iPad isn't bad, but really is not up to the desktop version.

As far as comparing to Axe, Kemper, Helix, the iPad version is pretty distant in pretty much every way. Can't say for the desktop, I've heard good things, but the standalone processors are on another level completely from what I can get from BIAS app.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
bias desktop is not on par with kemper and fractal. no amount of advertising is going to make it so.
Quote by rukuus
bias desktop is not on par with kemper and fractal. no amount of advertising is going to make it so.

Agreed.

I have BIAS FX Desktop. Its cool and fun to mess with everything. But it's doesn't feel/sound right to me. Every video I watch or demo I've seen sounds far better than my setup at home. Which sucks because my home setup is legit. it's cool and worth the money, but it didn't exceed my expectations.
Gibson LP Standard T - Epiphone LP Standard (BCS wiring+pots, 57/57+ Gibson) - Fender FSR MIM Telecaster
Blackstar Series one 45 (v30's) - Jetcity JCA50h + 212cab (Eminence) - Orange Crush 35RT
Quote by dementiacaptain
The desktop, because of the matching feature, is much better IMO. The iPad isn't bad, but really is not up to the desktop version.

As far as comparing to Axe, Kemper, Helix, the iPad version is pretty distant in pretty much every way. Can't say for the desktop, I've heard good things, but the standalone processors are on another level completely from what I can get from BIAS app.

I think the IOS app has amp matching now as well actually.

I personally don't have the mobile version but I do like the Desktop version for what it is. I wouldn't say it's in the same league as a Kemper or an Axe or a Helix but it's also like a tenth of the price and is a good recording solution if all you need are good guitar tones to record with. For me, I'd probably compare Bias moreso to something like Amplitube or Guitar Rig. Personally though I prefer Bias to GR/AT for most tones. Especially since I get all of my effects from other VST programs. I am a big fan of the amp matching feature as well and have had good luck matching tones personally. Bias is also a lot more tweakable on the amp front since you can play around with a lot of different aspects of the amp to tweak it how you like.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I own Bias desktop - if you buy it on sale it's a great value. it's not as good as Kemper or Fractal, but it's one of the best amp sims out there today.

You can demo the product so I would suggest you try doing that and compare to your eleven rack. Bias only works in 64 bit so keep that in mind.

If you pair Bias with a good reverb plugin it can sound very good. I use waves H reverb, but there are tons of good reverb plugs out there.

The strenght of Bias Amp desktop is that you have a lot of control in sculpting the tone and the changes to the settings are actually useable and sound good.
It seems like the app is tonally the same, but maybe not. I dont see why they'd use different modelling, but the price difference seems sketchy. Bias Amp does have quite a few more features though. My guess is they charge more for the VST for the extra features, and it's abilities in a DAW.

From my experience, Bias is good, and very tweakable (the Amp version, not FX. Bias FX is shit), but pretty inaccurate when it comes to the amp models. Each amp model combines a different preamp, tonestack, and poweramp, and some different amp models use the same tonestack. I'm sure you've experienced all this on the app.

The bass/middle/treble on the amps face actually controls the b/m/t on the tonestack section. All the tonestacks react very similarly, and IMO do not accurately represent the right frequencies. Mids all the way down darkens the tone, mids all the way up makes it bright. Treble adds some weird gain structure even though it's after the preamp. It doesn't react like an amp at all.

Also the Mark IIC+ model is especially horrid as the tonestack is before the preamp on the actual amp, and Bias won't allow this, and wouldn't have the right frequency sweeps anyway if it did.

Other than that, you can still coax really nice tones out of it. Probably the most natural sounding VST I've messed with. But no, it doesn't come near something like an Axe FX in terms of accuracy and nailing the tone. Kemper is a different beast though as it doesn't actually have amp models.