When you guys think of 80s metal...Ratt, Dokken etc what do you guys instantly think of for their guitars? I'm looking to get a shredder for strictly this type of music. I'm not trying to drop 1000 bucks for a Charvel San Dimas. Let me know what ya got in mind!
Last edited by JS122615 at Nov 14, 2016,
Quote by JS122615
When you guys think of 80s metal...Ratt, Dokken etc what do you guys instantly think of for their guitars? I'm looking to get a shredder for strictly this type of music. I'm not trying to drop 1000 bucks for a Charvel San Dimas. Let me know what ya got!

Superstrats something with a Floyd Rose, 24 frets and hot pickups maybe a reverse headstock as they were in fashion back then of course for the bands with contracts and money add custom graphics.

Here are my genuine1980's metal machines.

1987 Kramer F1000:

1989 Charvel Fusion Custom:

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Pretty much any late 80s / early 90s MIJ Jackson/Charvel. Most can be had under $500. Jackson's would be the Professional Series and Charvel would be the Model series.

Late 80s USA Peavey's i.e. Tracer/Destiny/G90/Nitro/Vandenberg. All of those can be had for well under $500 with the Destiny's on the higher end sitting at around $500 give or take $100 and the Vandenbergs ranging from $700 - $2500 depending on model/condition/geographical location.

80's MIJ Kramer's ... Striker or Focus I think they're called. Help me out Kramer people. I know they had a MIJ line and cheaper MIK line.

Basically, in the late 80's early 90's most of the "shred" guitar companies outsourced a line of guitars to Japan. Most were every bit as good as they're USA counterparts. Then once people realized that the MIJ ones were just as good, they noticed a large enough decline in USA made sales, they put a stop to that and started having them made in China/Korea/India/Indonesia. At least that's Jackson/Charvel's story, I would assume it's similar across the board.

Peavey's USA guitars were excellent made products that for some reason just never took off like the other brands. So they just basically gave up the guitar game for the most part. Feels like they're giving up the AMP game lately too .... It just doesn't feel like they have any pride in their product anymore since they moved production of almost everything over to China.
Last edited by Xander_X at Nov 14, 2016,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Don't forget B.C. Rich - Gunslingers, ASM, Warlocks, etc.

Are you going for 80's visual or 80's sound? The sound is pretty easy guitar-wise - throw a JB or Super Distortion in the bridge.

Jackson King V and Kellys are always a hit.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
Last edited by metalmingee at Nov 14, 2016,
Charvel guitars with guitar shaped logo. Kramer and of course BC Rich. you can easily find authentic 80s guitars from any of these makers for well under a grand. Charvel Series guitars were very nice (2-6, 1 not so much). Kramer Pacer and of course Baretta (early models are the best and can be US made). BC Rich had the NJ series (early Japanese made ones being the best). of course neon colors are mandatory.
Peavey had some wild shapes...one was kinda like a reverse V.
Guitars:
Squire Bullet Strat, Schecter Damien 6, Washburn WG-587 & RX10
Amp/Effects:
Peavy Vypyr 30, ISP Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
Quote by JS122615
This one is near me. Would it be good? I don't know much about Kramers. I'm really trying to stay under 250 right now. If you guys see any deals on eBay or reverb. Let me know!
I believe they have a very affordable single-pickup Baretta around. I think it's called the Baretta Special perhaps?
Quote by JS122615
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/5828062828.html

This one is near me. Would it be good? I don't know much about Kramers. I'm really trying to stay under 250 right now. If you guys see any deals on eBay or reverb. Let me know!

See, you sort of have to lead with a budget and your location. That can eliminate a LOT of guitars, and narrows things down considerably.
Quote by monwobobbo
good choice but costs way more than the grand he didn't want to spend. there is a LTD version of that that I have tried and liked but I don't think they make it any more.

Oh shit, should've read the actual OP rather than the title of the thread, hahaha.
Quote by JS122615
Well location isn't really an issue. I'll order one and have it shipped.

Actually, it does matter: some sellers don't ship to certain countries. Some countries have high tariffs on guitars (and other stuff), so might be out of your price range where you are, despite being white affordable elsewhere.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
I've had a lot of people tell me the Jackson JS22 Dinky, the Kramer Baretta Special (the one with only the bridge pickup) and the Schecter Omen 6 would be good. I'm kind of digging the Kramer and Jackson. I just don't know much about any of them. Opinions? Would the stock pickups in these be good enough for the job or should I drop a super distortion in them?
A fellow North Carolinian! And in the Raleigh Craigslist area to boot!

I'd say Ibanez, though perhaps more shred than hair metal, would do the deed. Look into older MIJ models, the quality is excellent.

Edit: what IS your budget? There's a San Dimas for 700 in Durham:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/5873244497.html
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Nov 14, 2016,
Schecters really aren't that style of guitar. Not saying you can't get a good 80s sound out of them, but that's not really what it sounds like your looking for. They're not bad guitars, but I'm really into the 80s shredders, and I've never picked up a Schecter I liked.

I'm also a huge Jackson fan and I really dislike the JS series. Their about as low end a you can get. I know there are quite a few people on here that have them and really enjoy theirs, but I just don't understand how someone could pick up some thing like a USA Jackson then a JS series and not realize what a load of junk they are. The X series is a giant leap forward for not a ton more money.
Its not worth wasting your money on a guitar thats not going to give you the look, sound, and feel your looking for. There are many guitars listed here that is you're patient enough you'll find for under $300. Or with some patience save a little more ... Like $500, and a world will open up to you of 80s shredding glory
Quote by JS122615
I've had a lot of people tell me the Jackson JS22 Dinky, the Kramer Baretta Special (the one with only the bridge pickup) and the Schecter Omen 6 would be good. I'm kind of digging the Kramer and Jackson. I just don't know much about any of them. Opinions? Would the stock pickups in these be good enough for the job or should I drop a super distortion in them?

all Baretta's have one pickup that is how they were designed. I haven't tried any of the new Kramers but know that many of them are just 2nd rate copies of the 80s guitars. some of the high end ones seem to be good though. Jackson makes some nice guitars just don't go to cheap as they suffer a bit on the low end.
A Jackson slattxmg6 or a JS32 dinky would be excellent for the job. I live and breathe Dimartini and Lynch and have been using Jacksons a few years. Charvels are too damned expensive unless a) you remortgage the house or b) all your kids are grown up and you rent out their rooms to boarders Only issue with the jumbo frets is that if you are using 9's or less is hard to get open chords without fretting them out of tone. So 10's are a better job. The LTD's are very popular atm as well. Love Evilnines two axes by the way. Classic stuff.
The matsumoko factory turned out a few nice superstrats that might fit the bill. Not many had active pickups though. The Aria pro 2 series were one of matsumokos line badges and damned fine they were too, for their price two coils and humbucker s a I recall. The Charvettes were also nice little passive jobs, more colour in style that sound though. The Westone guitars..another matsumoko badge were very good for their price tag, However all that said the average low end guitar bough new and well set up is probably better off that many of the second hand eighties knock off superstrats that I mentioned..
FWIW I have never been a fan of some of the early/mid 80's guitars that had the tremolo installed without recess routing and with the lock nut just bolted on the neck behind the original nut.

I could live without the recessed trem but these guitars seem that the Floyd style tremolos were installed as an afterthought. Having both the original plastic nut and locking nut is not condusive to tuning stability hence the later models eliminating the plastic nut.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Evilnine True. You couldn't pull on some of the eighties knock off trems or they would snap. No routing at all. I suspect a lot of the badges changed from time ot time as did the specs. I've an old Columbus series two..series 3 just looking at it.. that has dimarzzios and a coil tap on the bucker. At the sae time the locking trem was just smacked into the body and when it finally died the luthier realised that the routing was never there to allow a pull on the trem and the quality of the wood didn't allow for for further routing. Still love the old knock offs. Been looking for a decent nick aria pro 2 for a long time..
Last edited by RattnRolla at Nov 15, 2016,
Some people say the Dinky JS32 are good and some say they are crap? What did you guys like and not like about them?
Quote by JS122615
Charvel TIGER ? TIGER STRIPE
https://reverb.com/item/3427771-charvel-tiger-tiger-stripe

Anyone known anything about what this is? Any good? It doesn't say much about it. The Duncan pickups caught my eye

Looks like a home job. Probably no way of telling what it once was, and without being able to play it in person, I'd pass.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by JS122615
My budget is about 300 or less. Cheap I know but I just bought a 1000$ les Paul lol

Check your PMs.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Looks like a home job. Probably no way of telling what it once was, and without being able to play it in person, I'd pass.

Same here it does look to be a DIY parts guitar it could be a great axe but without getting hands on it buying would be sketchy at best also to consider is the resale value is not going to be there for a mutt.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by JS122615

Anyone known anything about what this is? Any good? It doesn't say much about it. The Duncan pickups caught my eye

Definitely a parts mutt. Not even sure that's a Charvel body. Doesn't look like it. Hard to tell from the angle of the photo.

Quote by JS122615
Some people say the Dinky JS32 are good and some say they are crap? What did you guys like and not like about them?

Quality Control, Assembly issues, Materials used, electronics are bottom of the line junk, woods used are basically scrap non-select pieces, etc. I mean there are worse guitars out there for sure. I have about a dozen or so Chinese guitars hanging up around the house for decoration that sound HORRIFIC plugged in. I would take a JS in a heartbeat over those.
Quote by JS122615

total hack job and the seller knows it. picture is awful and the angle doesn't show diddly. not a charvel and not in any way what it says it is.
Charvel or kramer is the way to go for that. Jackson was very common in the 80s. If it were my pick tho id get a desert yellow ibanez jem. The amount of colors on it are very loud and the pyramid inlays are sick lol.