Hey there, I'm interested in playing Steely Dan songs. The classics, like Reelin'.. Kid Charmelagne, Peg and such.
I can play ACDC songs and solos pretty solid, and a few funk exercises.
Besides articulation and 'tone chasing', is there anything else I should focus on the Steely Dan songs?
Last edited by FreakyRayman234 at Nov 14, 2016,
ok some of the Dan songs do have some quirky rhythmic chord progressions and some voicings are more pianistic .. now the solos are a totally different animal..top of the line studio players..all the players on the Dan are top of the line..

if you can get the sheet music or a Dan songbook..
play well

wolf
Most of the Steely Dan solos aren't that challenging, technique-wise ... but the interesting part is note choice ... you may want to learn what's going on, rather than pure mimicry. They are one of my all time favourite bands.
https://soundcloud.com/jerry-kramskoy-1
I'd say the articulation is most of the challenge with this style of music. In terms of dynamics it's pretty much the opposite of AC/DC. To get that smooth, sensitive sound you have to spend some time playing without any backing tracks, really focusing on how your technique affects your tone. On a lot of their tunes, the guitar is taking up a pretty small space in the overall mix, even on solos, so the key is to use your technique for communication and expression rather than speed or intensity.