I've been aware of them for a couple of years now, experimented with their online guitar customization program a bit here and there(every custom shop should have one of these on their website, EVERYONE) and early this morning, while I should've been trying to sleep, I basically made the most beautiful guitar I think I've ever seen. A bit pricy(nothing compared too Jackson though), but holy shit this thing was... I wish I could show you guys but for some reason the image won't save.

Either way, wanted to get the opinions of this community before I get too attached(too late I fear, but I can still be brought to my senses I think).

I just read on reddit that they make their guitars in China which is never a good thing to hear.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Own one or more of their guitars, etc?

I've watched some videos of their Merus guitar being played and it sounds really good and looks like a quality guitar. According too the reviewer it's a great guitar.

Here's the video:

Last edited by jordandeir at Nov 14, 2016,
Quote by dspellman

Pretty disappointing.

I literally feel like I've finally seen the guitar that I was always meant to have... guess I'll just have to try and re-create it with Carvin.

Probably save some money and I'll also be getting a much better quality guitar in the process.

I'll save the specs and keep the visual open and try and get a custom that look something like it.
There's a lot of good companies out there.

What's your budget?
What's your location?
What specs & aesthetics do you want?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
There's a lot of good companies out there.

What's your budget?
What's your location?
What specs & aesthetics do you want?

I'm hoping to stay below 3k, but I can go a bit above.

Most of the Carvins I've put together were around 2K, which is great. Problem I have with Carvin is, one, they don't have a custom shop guitar simulator like Halo does, so you're not really sure how it'll come out and it seems so far that they don't just offer body types and then allow you to choose whatever custom features you want, but a handful of body types with base models that vary on limitation when it comes to customization.

Rather frustrating.

I live in Newfoundland, off the east coast of Canada.

In terms of specs:

Black Hardware
OFR
Ebony Fretboard
Abalone Sharkfin Inlays, aswell as abalone bindings on body, neck and headstock
Black burst with trans deep red(matching headstock colour)
California Buckeye Burl top with Mahogany body(Satin finish on body)
Maple neck with Satin finish

That's about the gist of it.

WIthout a case, Halo has that exact custom down for around 3K.
Check to see if Bowes is taking orders again.
http://bowesguitars.com/wordpress/

GMW/Empire
http://gmwguitars.com

Among production guitars, the Fernandes Revolver JP is close.
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/revolver/revolver-elite-jp.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Check to see if Bowes is taking orders again.
http://bowesguitars.com/wordpress/

GMW/Empire
http://gmwguitars.com

Among production guitars, the Fernandes Revolver JP is close.
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/revolver/revolver-elite-jp.html

What about Ran? Are they any good?

They're in Poland right? Do they go by the Euro? How much would shipping and handling be?
Ran makes good stuff. But I have NO clue as to what their shipping costs are.

alhaq369
Mayones could do what you want as well, but I'm pretty sure you'd be way over the 3K mark. Doesn't hurt to ask though.

I don't think you can get a better price/specs ratio than you get a Carvin either for (semi-)custom guitars.
FGN's Mythic might be a good option.

http://www.fgnguitars.com/my_all.html

Or maybe a Tom Anderson Angel?
https://www.andersonguitarworks.com/angel/

The iGuitar from Brian Moore.
http://iguitarworkshop.com/iguitar9113usb.aspx

alhaq369
Quote by jordandeir
I'm hoping to stay below 3k, but I can go a bit above.

GMW Guitars isn't far from me in Glendora, CA. Lee Garver will usually answer the phone (he's the owner)

Address: 220 N Glendora Ave, Glendora, CA 91741
Phone: (626) 914-8082
I *think* his email address is lee@gmw.cnc.net but won't sweat to it.

I don't think Brian Moore is actually producing custom guitars, but Tom Anderson can.
Quote by dspellman
GMW Guitars isn't far from me in Glendora, CA. Lee Garver will usually answer the phone (he's the owner)

Address: 220 N Glendora Ave, Glendora, CA 91741
Phone: (626) 914-8082
I *think* his email address is lee@gmw.cnc.net but won't sweat to it.

I don't think Brian Moore is actually producing custom guitars, but Tom Anderson can.

SO I'm just taking a quick look at some of their archives, can GMW do any body shape you want?!

They have the Mockingbird, Kelly... man, if I can two of those bodies with the wood, look, sound and feel that I'm looking for, I'm definitely going with them.

They're the company that made the Rhoads Polka Dot V right?
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Ran makes good stuff. But I have NO clue as to what their shipping costs are.

I'm really interested in checking out some Polish guitar companies, but I'm fearful of outrages price tags.

Would like to get a few custom made guitars, but spending 6K for one, when I can potentially use that same amount of money to get multiple... I could get like 3 Custom made Carvins for 6K and it'd only be shipped from the US. Just need to make sure the Canadian dollar is quite a bit closer too the American.

It's why I'm a bit turned off by Jackson... it's like, they have some of the best guitar shapes in the world and I like their necks/fretboards, and from what I know their USA made guitars are fantastic, but if you're looking to get anything other than a Soloist or Dinky(like a Kelly), for under 3k, don't even bother it seems.

Their USA made guitars are like, minimum 3500... just for a stock, before you even make a single choice on any custom features, that's insane.

Plus, their stock colors fucking suck man... unless it's a Dinky Chlorine Burst or something.
Last edited by jordandeir at Nov 15, 2016,
I paid over 3k (euros, in EU) for my Mayones Regius with Buckeye Burl top, but without OFR and whatnot. So I'm guessing you'd be well over 3 or even 4k with those specs. That said, the quality of this guitar is beyond anything I've held in my hands and it's an absolute joy to play. And they'll do about anything you'd want. I doubt they'd stray from their shapes though.
Quote by I K0nijn I
I paid over 3k (euros, in EU) for my Mayones Regius with Buckeye Burl top, but without OFR and whatnot. So I'm guessing you'd be well over 3 or even 4k with those specs. That said, the quality of this guitar is beyond anything I've held in my hands and it's an absolute joy to play. And they'll do about anything you'd want. I doubt they'd stray from their shapes though.

I love the Mayones Regius, beautiful guitar shape. Wanted one, just thought they were too pricy. Their stock guitars go for around 3K alone don't they?

Might save up and get one, one of these days, but right now, I just don't have the ability to go above 3K, I mean, even that's too much money, but I'm prepared too pay that much and it's better than what I originally was looking at with Jackson(the Custom Kelly I was considering was around 5600 and over half that price is just for the KE2 model itself, crazy prices to get a good guitar. I have no interest in spending that much for a guitar that doesn't atleast look the way I want it too)... if I can get what I want/need in a custom guitar to play and sound good as well as the look, then it's worth throwing down a few thousand imo.
Newfoundland? Ever heard of Agile? US distributor called Rondo music sells them, Made in S Korea, Nice stuff , Does the same as those hacks over at Halo do with they're Chinese made Semi Customs, Its just Agile tends to get really good reviews unlike Halo, plus if not satisfied Kurt will make it good, Any shipping problems to Newfoundland. Kurt will help, Even to the point of informing you what the same guitar in your country is under a different brand name, I've played around on this page and managed to get a semi custom up over $3k, Yea that would have been one badass guitar, Actually have an Agile Interceptor Pro 625 EMG FR which was not custom ordered, and I'd put against any $3k Jackson on the planet, But then again I have a few First Acts that I'd do the same with, Although those were made in Somerville MA. USA,
http://www.rondomusic.com/customquote.html
Ormsby is a australian company that seems to have good prices..... don't know much about them but I've read good things.... the bare process start at about 800 USD and it goes from there
jordandeir i think they are a fine company i guess it really depends on what you buy as to how good a guitar is
Quote by kramer242
Ormsby is a australian company that seems to have good prices..... don't know much about them but I've read good things.... the bare process start at about 800 USD and it goes from there

Ormsby does fantastic work. However, the GTR range is Asian made (nothing wrong with that though) and far from the custom work he does both in features and quality and of course also pricing. I know a couple of years ago he started at around 3000 AUD and you were put on a waiting list for almost 2 years. I don't know how it stands now, but with his increase in popularity, I doubt he's become cheaper or the waiting list has become shorter.

I don't know where you got the 800 USD mark either, as his GTR guitars start at 1500 AUD, which is well over a thousand USD without shipping and any import taxes.

I'm going to throw Skervesen out there as option as well. Really amazing guitars. It's on my list of custom builders I might throw money at when I decide to get a custom.
I K0nijn I I think the waiting list he gave me was 6 months to a year
For his custom shop? Wow. That's pretty reasonable. I also just saw on his website that he has 3 of his guitars from the Custom Shop on there with prices, starting at 6.5k. That probably turns away a lot of people clearing out his waiting list a bit.
I K0nijn I checked pit the model I was thinking of customizing....it was like 1700 aud..... translated to about 800 USD..... keep in mind that's just the starting point..... not actual price..... basically before you give them the list of what you want......obviously it's going to take a big jump when you give therm the list of what you want done.....i wasn't talking about physically buying the guitar for that.
Quote by kramer242
I K0nijn I checked pit the model I was thinking of customizing....it was like 1700 aud..... translated to about 800 USD..... keep in mind that's just the starting point..... not actual price..... basically before you give them the list of what you want......obviously it's going to take a big jump when you give therm the list of what you want done.....i wasn't talking about physically buying the guitar for that.

I don't get what you mean. 1700 AUD is about 1250 dollars. Was 800 USD the deposit you had to make before they started?