So I'm going to get my first guitar for Christmas. I get to choose it and the budget is around $350. Im very picky and bad at making decisions because of my anxiety. I really enjoy a lot of different kind of music and want to play a lot of different kinds. Mostly metal or Alternative rock like Green Day etc. I've been looking for a used one as I've heard that's better than getting a new one that's around $200 to $300. I've done months of research and looked at many different guitars. I started off wanting a ibanez but I'm just not a huge fan of how they look. They aren't ugly but just not what I want. I really love the les Paul shape or schecter style strats. My dilemma is I want a ESP LTD EC guitar because I know they are great for metal but I could also play anything else on them and they have the shape I love. But I've looked through reverb, guitar center, Sam ash, and eBay. I just can't find one in a color that I want. Same with schecter for the price I need I can't find a guitar that attracts me. I did however find a Epiphone led Paul custom in silverburst that comes with a hardcase for $350. I'm tempted to get it and keep it for a while and eventually upgrade to maybe a ec-1000 as I hear so much about them. What do you all think? Will the epiphone play metal and everything good enough? I know its mostly in the amp but I'm just worried. There's no ESPs for my budget that have a color I want so I'm kinda stuck. Thanks in advance.
Quote by Sectric
Will the epiphone play metal and everything good enough?

For an inexperienced guitar player, sure. Any guitar will play metal "good enough". i think you should buy the best deal you can find with a guitar you love to look at. If you love it you'll be inspired to pick it up and practice more.
Gibson LP Standard T - Epiphone LP Standard (BCS wiring+pots, 57/57+ Gibson) - Fender FSR MIM Telecaster
Blackstar Series one 45 (v30's) - Jetcity JCA50h + 212cab (Eminence) - Orange Crush 35RT
DirtFarmer Thank you. I'd just rather start out with something besides a squier like everyone says I should. I'd also rather buy a guitar that's not just $130. If I'm gonna spend money I want it to be worth it. A lot of people say $350 is to much for a starting guitar but I don't think so. I think buying one that is poorly made is a waste of money.
I disagree with the "too expensive for your first guitar" mentality. I think if you have a nice instrument you'll have more fun using it! Also, your budget should be based on your means, if you can afford it then go for it!

Squiers can be very nice for the price, but I agree with your idea of them being entry level guitars.

A LP custom with a case for 350$ sounds good providing the guitar is in decent shape. I love LP's, my Epiphone isn't as nicely made as my Gibson but I love it just as much if not more due to how much work I've put into it. I've played a EPI LP custom once, it looked great, but it had aftermarket pickups on it so I can't say much for the custom stock pickups. But the guitar was great and replacing pups isn't too hard or expensive.
Gibson LP Standard T - Epiphone LP Standard (BCS wiring+pots, 57/57+ Gibson) - Fender FSR MIM Telecaster
Blackstar Series one 45 (v30's) - Jetcity JCA50h + 212cab (Eminence) - Orange Crush 35RT
I think that it is important to buy a guitar that makes you want to play it - looks matter - but what are you doing for an amplifier? In terms of tonal satisfaction, the amp is a lot more important than the guitar, so at least give that some thought before you go out and spend all your $ on a guitar. My favourite guitar cost Oz$65, and I play it through a not-cheap H&K tube amp.

You should also budget for a set up.
Tony Done I have enough to get a amp. Probably one around $100. I need one that I can plug headphones into. I have $350 or so for guitar only.
So only EC-shaped guitars or anything else ESP/LTD?

I've been playing an ESP LTD MH-50 ($299) for a bit over a year now (previously had a terrible amazon "guitar kit" guitar)
i like it, really do, only problem is the floyd rose bridge won't keep in tune, but that's likely because of bad setup..
Parac Nah doesn't have to be I just love the les Paul look. I love "super strats" too but more like Schecter or ESP MH ones. Ibanez looks too aggressive for my taste. I can't find a Schecter I like a whole lot for the price I have. I might just get this Epiphone and then get a really good ESP once I get better at playing and have more money. Not a lot that attracts me for this price range.
Quote by Sectric
Parac Nah doesn't have to be I just love the les Paul look. I love "super strats" too but more like Schecter or ESP MH ones. Ibanez looks too aggressive for my taste. I can't find a Schecter I like a whole lot for the price I have. I might just get this Epiphone and then get a really good ESP once I get better at playing and have more money. Not a lot that attracts me for this price range.

Seems to be the way to go. Epi Les Pauls are great guitars, especially in that price range.
If you want to spend ~$100 for an amp, I'd recommend a Fender Mustang I V2. It has a wide variety of tones and that's pretty important as a beginner. There are also lots of presets and you can save your own when you discover a combination of settings that you like.
There's also a headphone jack, for home practice and that price, that's one hell of an amp!
Quote by DirtFarmer
For an inexperienced guitar player, sure. Any guitar will play metal "good enough".

i disagree.

that being said, in this case, with the particular guitars he's looking at, it probably should be ok.

this is likely an overgeneralisation, but the ltd will do the metal thing better but be less good at the less heavy stuff while the epiphone will do the less heavy stuff better but be less good at the metal stuff. but both should be reasonable at the stuff they're not so great at.

and yeah if you have the money for better than the usual starter-pack-quality guitars then by all means spend it. a better guitar will make you want to play more and will make learning easier.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
i disagree.

True, I should have stated that the guitars he listed would be "good enough" for a new player, not just any guitar. I don't think the Hannah Montana guitar can do metal well!!
Quote by Sectric
Tony Done I have enough to get a amp. Probably one around $100. I need one that I can plug headphones into. I have $350 or so for guitar only.

I would have put more into the amp and less into the guitar, but I had been playing acoustic for a long time before I finally connected with electric. This made me really picky about tones, it might be different for a beginner.
Thank you all for your responses. I'm gonna get the Epiphone and learn on it and eventually in a few years buy a really good ESP or Schecter. The amp I'm buying with my own money I've saved up for years. (I don't have a job because of where I live) so I'll have like around $300 to spend on a amp and accessories. I'm hoping playing a guitar while help my anxiety like its said to. Thank you all for your help its greatly appreciated.
Quote by Sectric
I'm hoping playing a guitar while help my anxiety like its said to.

I think this holds true to just about anything that requires you use your brain to pursue a passion. When you're playing and in the moment you don't think about anything else! So I hope it helps with your anxiety.

I suffer from anxiety almost daily, which was hard for me to come to terms with considering how fortunate I am and have been throughout my life. But its a reality and playing guitar is my single most factor in being happy and dealing with my issues.
Quote by DirtFarmer
True, I should have stated that the guitars he listed would be "good enough" for a new player, not just any guitar. I don't think the Hannah Montana guitar can do metal well!!

haha

but yeah no worries. i just sometimes get a bit annoyed that there seems to be a bandwagon now that the guitar doesn't matter at all (ironically to counteract the previous bandwagon where too many people were ignoring the amp ), and in my experience that's just not true.

Quote by Tony Done
I would have put more into the amp and less into the guitar, but I had been playing acoustic for a long time before I finally connected with electric. This made me really picky about tones, it might be different for a beginner.

I dunno. It's weird. In general, I'd tend to agree, but at the beginner/lower end of the market it's probably more sensible to spend more on the guitar. you aren't likely to be spending enough to get an appreciably better amp (plus some of the cheaper modellers sound pretty decent if you're only playing at home), but £100 difference spent on the guitar can get you up from the really cheapo crappy guitars to something pretty decent.

Even at the higher end of things you still need to judge each case on its own merits. I mean, IMO something like a Jet City is easily "good enough" and doesn't really need to be upgraded to a better amp unless you're just dying to spend money. And also things like features cost money so if you have a simple but good amp you might not need to upgrade it even if it's cheaper than your guitar. Etc. etc.

i realise i'm possibly just arguing now for the sake of it so maybe i should stop
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 15, 2016,
Dave_Mc

Nah, it's all good. I know our opinions on this differ a bit. In this instance I think your opinion is better than mine, not least because my history with electric guitar isn't typical. The reason I keep on stating my views on this is because it is so easy for a beginner to get beguiled by the sexy piece of wood, and forget about its function. But it hat's what it takes to keep them interested..... Oh, I give up!
What is your alls opinions on PRS? I found a PRS SE standard 22 for $350 in good condition. Would it be a better guitar for metal and lighter stuff? I really don't know what to do.
Quote by Sectric
I really don't know what to do.

I'll let other people speak out to what PRS is like, but I think the moral of the story here is find something that calls out to you. What looks great to "YOUR" eyes and heart. You want something to inspire you to pick it up and play. I've always known which guitars I have loved so that's what I've purchased.
Quote by Tony Done
Dave_Mc

Nah, it's all good. I know our opinions on this differ a bit. In this instance I think your opinion is better than mine, not least because my history with electric guitar isn't typical. The reason I keep on stating my views on this is because it is so easy for a beginner to get beguiled by the sexy piece of wood, and forget about its function. But it hat's what it takes to keep them interested..... Oh, I give up!

I'm not sure "better" is the right word (regarding the opinion), lol. It's very dependent on your own preferences, the type of music you play, what your current gear is, etc. etc. etc.. I'm just working on the basis that I have amps that I think (hope ) most around here would say are "good enough", and (a) even when using those amps it very much helps to use the "right" guitar for the type of music I feel like playing and (b) my Jet City (when combined with decent speakers) can hang with them.

I'm not saying it's not a good rule of thumb (both that you should spend similar amounts on the guitar and amp, and also that the amp is more important than the guitar), because it is, but some people (not you) take it further than that and act like if your guitar and amp don't cost exactly the same amount of money that you should instantly upgrade the cheaper one, or that that means that the guitar doesn't matter at all, and obviously I think that's taking things way too far.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman