Poll: Would you have hired this woman to be a UPS driver?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you have hired this woman to be a UPS driver?
Yes, people over profit
11 58%
No, I can afford the incoming ACLU lawsuit
8 42%
Voters: 19.
Page 1 of 2
My gut instinct is yes

The fact that my UPS pickup driver at work is a 50-year-old, 5'0 woman says otherwise

I frequently have to make her take 75-150 pound boxes out to her truck and I feel really bad. I help her as much as I can, but it's also like, "this ain't even my job..."

edit: to be fair, she's a trooper and doesn't complain, but she struggles like no other
It was my privilege
Last edited by StewieSwan at Nov 14, 2016,
Loaded question

"Discriminate" is bad. Hiring people who don't meet necessary qualifications (such as "able to lift heavy shit frequently") isn't.
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Yes, no, maybe, i don't know

Can you repeat the question?

Weird techno music suddenly crests the horizon.

Quote by Dreadnought
Loaded question

"Discriminate" is bad. Hiring people who don't meet necessary qualifications (such as "able to lift heavy shit frequently") isn't.

chtst
Quote by Will Lane
chtst

Wtf is this
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Quote by Dreadnought
Loaded question

Moderator DISEMBOWELS op!

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
Quote by Banjocal
Is it rational?

aint no bacon round these parts if dats wut u mean
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by JustRooster

pls dread can't even define discriminate

recognize a distinction; differentiate

I recognize that women are weak af and men are ox
It was my privilege
Yes and it's sad that this question even needs to be asked. But like Dreadnought said, it's different from hiring qualifications in a situation like this. Though lifting heavy things may not have even been in the job description, as I found when turning down part-time jobs that I was hired for but physically unable to do. Who knows. It's nice that you're helping her though.
cat
Quote by StewieSwan

ayyy lmao truuuuu
Quote by guitarxo
Yes and it's sad that this question even needs to be asked. But like Dreadnought said, it's different from hiring qualifications in a situation like this. Though lifting heavy things may not have even been in the job description, as I found when turning down part-time jobs that I was hired for but physically unable to do. Who knows. It's nice that you're helping her though.

what if my hiring qualification is that you're white?
It was my privilege
Quote by StewieSwan

The only semi legitimate reason I can think of for this atm besides acting or fulfilling a diversity quota is if you have racist customers who wouldn't feel comfortable with non-white employees which means that you are enabling racism which is bad. I mean you could have requirements related to ethnicity that aren't set in stone like language or religion or culture but why would you ever literally just need someone with "white" features

Seriously please tell me if you can think of something I'm just curious. I was gonna not be serious about this but don't really want to since I have been in this situation before.
cat
In some cases. Like Dreadnought said it's a loaded question and it really depends on why you are discriminating the person. Like making an 18 year old kid a foreman of a construction site? Based on his age I can say he's definitely not experienced enough and shouldn't get that job. A 95 year old man in the military? He most likely is not physically fit enough to join up (which is why they have age restrictions).

Like if you can do the job and somehow prove you can, than you should be able to do the job. It's not fair to assume a woman can't be a mechanic because like 99% of mechanics are men. But a woman joins the military and has easier physical fitness tests to pass compared to men? That's kind of bullshit because it's a matter of life and death in some cases. Or a woman who can't lift someone on to a stretcher as an EMT? Literally life and death. Woman are factually weaker. Old people are factually weaker and have slower reflexes. Young people are inexperienced. It's just the way it is. I don't mean to say men aged 25-40 are "better", but they're more suited to most jobs. It's just biology.

In the example OP provided she seems to be able to do the job he just helps her on his own. Once she can't do it, then she should quit honestly. I have someone at work who is scared of heights so they always make me hang up the adverts and stuff. Doing the advertisements and hanging them is that persons job. It isn't my job at all. She's an old lady so she can't lift heavy things either. Should she be working in that position? No. Absolutely not. She can't do her job. I'm doing 2 jobs here and not getting paid for 2 jobs so wtf.

If you wanna hire someone who IS capable and CAN do that job, but don't because "oh she's a woman, eff that" well that's not cool.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Last edited by naedauuf at Nov 14, 2016,
Quote by StewieSwan

~ t o l e r a n c e ~

Quote by Dreadnought
Wtf is this
came here to say this

also

cats have tempermental silly tantrums

i would discriminate if a potential employee was a cat
Quote by guitarxo
The only semi legitimate reason I can think of for this atm besides acting or fulfilling a diversity quota is if you have racist customers who wouldn't feel comfortable with non-white employees which means that you are enabling racism which is bad. I mean you could have requirements related to ethnicity that aren't set in stone like language or religion or culture but why would you ever literally just need someone with "white" features

Seriously please tell me if you can think of something I'm just curious. I was gonna not be serious about this but don't really want to since I have been in this situation before.

Actors
It was my privilege
Quote by guitarxo
I said that already lol

authentic European stuff
It was my privilege
Rami Malek is fucking great, and can play anything
There comes a time in every Slovene's life, when he or she has to explain to a foreigner that one of our most well-known singer-songwriter songs is titled 'I Work Like a Negro'. This is that time.

The title comes from the idiom to work like a negro, meaning to work hard and for very little pay. The song is in fact a tongue-in-cheek ode to workers and is written in the form of a desperate plea to employers to give the singer a job on the grounds of him being young, able-bodied, prepared to sacrifice his own family's well-being and above all reluctant to ask any questions, favours or mercy apart for one explanation - "why are there so many of us unemployed and on the streets?"

This of course not being a principled demand for justice but merely a subordinate desire to have the material conditions of his suffering rationalized and legitimized by his superiors.

It opens with the simple verse 'I have arms, I have a head, I am educated and I am selling a third of my life to the highest bidder'.

Weird techno music suddenly crests the horizon.

Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Nov 14, 2016,
Quote by StewieSwan
authentic European stuff

I said that too - language/religion/culture
cat
guitarxo MARTYRS bigoted misogynist
Quote by guitarxo
I said that too - language/religion/culture

so you basically said "I can't think of literally any examples except these examples I'm about to say"
It was my privilege
Quote by StewieSwan
so you basically said "I can't think of literally any examples except these examples I'm about to say"

Nah I said the examples first.
cat
Quote by JustRooster

What happens next will BLOW YOUR MIND

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2016: 78-65
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2016: 1-0
2016 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-6
Quote by Dreadnought
ayyy lmao truuuuu

Dreadnought DEFENSTRATES Stewieswan!

Quote by EyeNon15

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
Dreadnought LOOKS UP defenestrate!
Modern journalism is basically a study in Caps Lock Tourettes.

Quote by EyeNon15

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
Tbf, anyone that feeble shouldnt be allowed to work. Shits called capitalism.
Quote by JustRooster
Modern journalism is basically a study in Caps Lock Tourettes.

Modern journalism is a study in regurgitation.
Modern Journalism would be the name of an emo band if this unjust world hadn't DECIMATED the genre.
I didn't want to open this thread but y'all have made it such a joy. Bless.
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.
Yeah what Dread said. You need certain qualifications or attributes of a person for a certain role (be it a job, a performance, help do a certain task, etc). If the person doesn't have them, you are free to reject him/her. However, it does need you and others to critically think about those requirements, what their purpose are, and whether they can be discriminatory.
For instance, you could say "I only want black workers because the community is black and thus everybody would get along better than if he was another race". At first glance it seems like a justified requirement, where being a certain race and having certain cultural attributes would improve the work place and how people got together. Is it though? Does it have more cultural ramifications for the future? Is it discriminatory or not? Those are questions worth asking, even if at first glance things do look like "fulfilling a requirement". The more objective and less socially and culturally based requirements you have the easier it gets tho.

Shit like "I won't accept women because they are weaker than men" is obviously discriminatory when the actual requirement is "I need a person that is able to lift X weight" which a woman can fulfill (even if statistically it's less likely than a man). Also, stuff like "I need someone that's not disabled because I need them to walk and move around" is discriminatory when the actual requirement is "I need a person to be able to move around" (which is solved by having the facilities be accomodating to disabled people) or "I need a person to do a normal job like sitting in a desk in front of a computer" (where being disabled isn't a disadvantage).
Quote by StewieSwan

tfw stu can't discriminate between formal definition and colloquial usage
Quote by TheChaz
tfw stu can't discriminate between formal definition and colloquial usage

I always found it funny how important it is to segregate in accounting/auditing.
Page 1 of 2