Basically i need help deciding upon what cab to get, Iv head amazing things about all of these and i really cannot decide. Any advice would be largely appreciated.
aaaaaanddd....GO!
i know there was a thread recently on the fretboard forum (UK-centric guitar forum) and several people were saying they weren't that impressed by zillas. i haven't tried them myself, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
I actually really like Zilla. The cabs I've tried by them sounded great, but what got me close to buying one is that they do virtually anything you'd want. I wanted a slanted 212 with a removable back etc and while they didn't offer that at the time, there was no problem at all for them to build that for me.

If you're just going for a no nonsense cab that doesn't need special features, I think the Mesa's are hard to beat price/performance.
Really love my Zilla (although haven't owned another cab previously). If you're in the UK they are priced really really well, and they are so helpful. Had a good 45 min chat and substantial email chain with the owner about what I'd be using it for and what specs I'd want etc etc. Can't recommend them enough.

Haven't heard of Hesu, and you can't really go wrong with a Mesa cab imo.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
If it's just a straight box-style 2x12, almost anything of good voidless plywood and reasonable construction will do.
The speakers are the component that really determines how things will sound.
There are modest changes due to internal volume, but don't be unduly swayed by brand names.

The best sounding cabs I have are brandless, constructed from plans and contain a pair of Eminence Delta Pro 12A's and a pair of L-padded piezo tweeters and two tube ports (4" dia, about 4" deep). They'll handle up to 400W per speaker, are 8 ohm cabinets, will reproduce down to 52Hz and up to 18Khz, are covered not in tolex, but in LineX sprayed-on pickup truck bed liner (stuff is brutal) and were largely glued together using Loctite Premium PL glue. The Delta speakers run about $129 each, are very efficient, were designed originally for pro audio, and the tweeters are KSN-1165 style, about $40 each and require no crossovers.
I mean, all of my fav artists use these, Periphery use zilla cabs along with their axe fx on tour, misha uses zilla and hesu at home, Keith Merrow, Jeff Loomis and Ola Englund use Hesu among a myriad of others, and Mesa are just......Mesa, everyone knows who mesa is. Besides the point. If i got a zilla, i would get the 212 Fatboy with V30's, The Hesu with their handmade Hesu demons, and then the Mesa with the V30's ofc. Are they close performance wise? because if so i will just get the cheapest one, but if the one wipes the floor with the others il just get that, regardless of the price. And i am in the UK, so zilla and Hesu (Polish brand <3) would be the cheapest as i could get the zilla for £435 at its cheapest (with shipping). I play metal and at home i currently have a Randall RD20H and a EVH 5153 50 watt on the way now, so i need something with a tight but full low end, great clarity and really punchy-sorry for the essay.
Last edited by oskos2001 at Nov 15, 2016,
Guess it comes down to what speaker(s) you want. Can't you get a harley benton with vintage 30s for WAY less than Mesa or the Hesu?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
DarthV I had a Harley Benton, but 1) After a gig once pretty much fell apart in the van 2) i have the 112 variant at home and 3) the others just sound straight up better. And tbh, i just got a new great job so im not worrying about money that much.
Might want to check out Orange as well, since you're UK based.
Bogners 212 OS is probably my favourite all time 212.
Kinda hard to argue against the mesa for toughness. Have you listened to demos of the Hesu with their custom demon speakers?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
DarthV yea i have, even one with a comparison vs a v30, tbh idk if he was trying to make the v30 sound bad. But it just sounded as if it was covered in about 10 blankets. Muddy, dark and one big mess. I K0nijn I And yea i see Orange amps and cabs here insanely cheap second hand, but the orange :/ snt really my thing, and neither is the creamy grill on the black versions.
Quote by oskos2001
dspellman Jesus, those cabs sound brutal haha. Did you make them yourself?

I had a need for cabinets that could take anything. In this case, each 2x12 was actually wired in stereo (sometimes used them that way, often not) and they were really heavy (the magnets on the Deltas are weighty). Each speaker could handle 400W (including each of the piezo drivers) and I drove them with a 1500W power amp, so each one got about 750W. The LineX is amazing -- it's pretty much structural on its own (the military uses it for anti-spalling and anti-explosion control) and they pretty much looked like new after a couple of years on the road. There are YouTube videos that show how tough that stuff is.
The Orange cabs are high quality and their oversized closed back V30-loaded 212 sounds really brutal. They're also decent value for money in the UK. Mesas are nice too but really overpriced in the UK, as all Mesa gear is.

When it comes to traditional closed back cabinets used in guitar, they're pretty much just sealed wooden boxes with speakers in them. There's nothing special or magical about 1 brand that makes it any better than the other as internally they're all constructed exactly the same. Look at pictures of the insides of them if you don't believe. Past a certain point, the difference in price between one brand and another are differences in physical dimensions, cosmetics and the brand name on the cloth.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by oskos2001
And i am in the UK, so zilla and Hesu (Polish brand <3) would be the cheapest as i could get the zilla for £435 at its cheapest (with shipping).

Then I'd definately go with Zilla personally , unless you can find a hesu in the UK for less
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
If you like Misha's tone, the tone on Juggernaut was recorded with a custom impulse response of his Zilla 2x12.

While it may not really tell you much because of the mic, mic position, and additional EQ used, it's at least something to go by. From what I remember the speakers are one V30 and one Creamback, but I have no idea if they mixed them or not.
Thanks everyone for all your help. Looks like il be giving zilla a call today haha
dspellman Those cabs sound hardcore haha, i would love to try something like that one day.
Zilla is awesome. It's nice that you can go nuts with all their options on tolex etc also should you want to.