Played a 2016 SG, the first SG I ever played to further note! Loved it! I maybe looking to get one but. Im not a fan of the clear coat rosewood fret board, it was a faded SG not a standard. Does Gibson make any I guess "plain" rosewood fretboards for SGs? Thanks!
'15 Fender Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
'15 Squire Bullet Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
Marshall DSL40c
What do you mean by clear coat? I've never seen an SG with a different type of fretboard than say a Les Paul.
It was almost like a polyurethane coat over the frets, I've done some research an I guess the correct terminology is baked? It was like a glaze
Marshall DSL40c
Again, it was new. It caught me off guard when I ran my fingers along the frets and it felt smooth, definitely had a coat of something over the wood. I like the feel of actual rosewood, the sg was perfect other than the lacquer or poly over the wood ? this is all new for me so if its normal I wouldn't know, maybe a older SG would have that worn off?
Marshall DSL40c
It could be something new they're doing. I haven't played one that had a coating, unless all of the rosewood boards on any brand I've ever played have had a coating.

Could it have been something like an aftermarket product that was rubbed on? My SG has a bit of a coated feel right after I've used lemon oil on it, but that's gone the next day / when it's completely soaked in.
Quote by VirgoLife87
Again, it was new. It caught me off guard when I ran my fingers along the frets and it felt smooth, definitely had a coat of something over the wood. I like the feel of actual rosewood, the sg was perfect other than the lacquer or poly over the wood ? this is all new for me so if its normal I wouldn't know, maybe a older SG would have that worn off?

There's no lacquer or poly over the rosewood on a Gibson guitar. Period.

Nor is it "baked." Maple is sometimes baked/roasted ("torrified" is the real term), to darken and/or stabliize it, but there's no point in doing that for rosewood. I don't know what "research" you may be referring to.

There may be a bit of wax on it, but that would be about it.

Epiphones sometimes have a coat of a waxy substance on new guitars that most folks either leave alone or scrape off with a credit card.

Are you sure it was rosewood?
Gibson has never done such a thing to their guitars so I have no idea what you're talking about.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.